Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: USF quick scouting report

USF has to travel about 1/3 the distance that Cal has to travel.

BTW, why is USF considered South Florida when it's really central and as the saying goes, the further north you go in FLA, the further south you really go, i.e., I think of Miami as South FLA.

All I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KIHCxr6Y-Y

Gilchrist is big, not necessarily in a good way.

Real Bear
    I watched them choke against Notre Dame in the Big East tourney. They played very boring slow tempo basketball, and the announcers were saying that this was typical USF basketball. If we shoot well I think we win. Big if.

The good news?

USF averages 59 points per game. Cal is 24-0 when holding teams to less than 64 (23-1 when holding teams under 70).

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    The good news?

USF averages 59 points per game. Cal is 24-0 when holding teams to less than 64 (23-1 when holding teams under 70).
    In this case, it would be USF holding USF to under 60 points, not Cal

Quote Originally Posted by CalBeast View Post
    In this case, it would be USF holding USF to under 60 points, not Cal
    Why is that?

Would tournament refs allow more physical play, hence, keeping some of our starters out of foul trouble? We get killed when Jorge gets those early fouls. Look for USF to go right at him.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTopOneChickenApple View Post
    Would tournament refs allow more physical play...
    That would be the norm. Plus the Pac12 has the rep of calling more fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    Looking at Univ South Florida, they look tough. First they finished 6th in the Big East. Considering it's a 16 team conference, that alone is an accomplishment.

20-13 record, 12-6 in Conference, but of their losses, 7 were to ranked teams, including two OT losses (although many of those losses were bad losses)

6-8 Senior F – Anderson – 7pts (55%), 5.5 RBs, 0.6 blks
    6-10 Senior F – Gilchrist – 10 pts (39%), 5 RBs, 1.3 blks
    6-7 Soph F – Rudd – 9 pts (36%), 4.6 RBs
    6-6 Senior G – Robertson – 7 pts (52%), 1 trey/game, 72% FT, 4 RBs, 1 asst
    6-1 Freshmen G – 9 pts (50%), 1 trey/game, 85% FT, 5 assts, 1.7 steals, 3.5 TOs

Bench:
    6-8 Junior F – 8pts (45%), 7 RBs, 1 blk 3 trey/game (41%)
    6-4 Junior G – 9 pts (42%), 3 treys/game (27%), 3.5 RBs

Obviously their advantage is their front court. Here is what Blue Ribbon said in the pre-season about their center (who is the type of player who will give Kamp problems)

The main man is 6-10, 245-pound Augustus Gilchrist (13.4 ppg, 6.0 rpg), the only Bull to average in double figures last season. Gilchrist had six games of 20 or more points with a high of 32 against DePaul. He came on strong at the end of the season, averaging 19.5 points in his final six games while shooting 54 percent from the field and 83 percent from the free-throw line. A skilled post player, his mid-range game is improving.

"On any given night, Gilchrist is as good as any big man you're going to find in our league and around the country," Heath said. "He's certainly talented. He gives you that versatility inside and out. He's got to improve on handling double teams; he pretty much gets a double team routinely in every game we play, so he's got to handle that situation better. I think with better perimeter shooting, and with his development as a passer, those things will happen for us."

Cal’s advantage looks to be our guards, and the fact that they don’t seem to shoot well from deep. Sounds like we will double the post at every opportunity.
    Here is hoping our 3-point shooting is on.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTopOneChickenApple View Post
    Would tournament refs allow more physical play, hence, keeping some of our starters out of foul trouble? We get killed when Jorge gets those early fouls. Look for USF to go right at him.
    On other hand, a team like USF can bang us around like Furd and we could get worn down (if not for that game, for the next one). Our bench issues have been the main reason for our moribund play the last three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    Why is that?
    I don't know. You think on that one for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    Few teams have their sixth and seventh men averaging 9 & 8 points, respectively. Do the math. GO BEARS!

____________________________________________________________ _____
    What math? I don't call averaging 7 points a game "close to ten points," and they have one guy who scores 10 a game. IThey don't shoot well, they play tough defense, and they have one guy whose size could bother us but who apparently has trouble with double teams.

They average around 60 ppg. Shooting percentages are low. Rebounding stats similar to ours. They got hammered by Kansas almost as bad as we got hammered by Missouri, but they've beaten some good teams lately.

That's funny. Until I read this thread, I totally thought we were matched up against the University of San Francisco. I had no idea South Florida even had a basketball team. Our Cal boys will show them which coast is the best coast. Sweet Sixteen baby!

Quote Originally Posted by tydog View Post
    I watched them choke against Notre Dame in the Big East tourney. They played very boring slow tempo basketball, and the announcers were saying that this was typical USF basketball. If we shoot well I think we win. Big if.
    I saw most of the second half of that game, and they had it in the bag and just gave it away. They play tough defense, but their offense is not scary. I think their PG is a frosh.

Quote Originally Posted by calgldnbear View Post
    USF has little to no outside shooting game so Cal needs to defend the paint and shoot well ... pretty much the formula for any game.

But at least, you don't have to worry about them running up 75-80 points on us
    But can you score 60 is the question? I say no. Louisville, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Syracuse, and West Virginia couldn't do it. Cal won't either. Get ready to become men because this will be the most physical game your boys have ever played.