Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DeSean Jackson - $51 million/5 years for Eagles

Great great

Congrats to DeSean!!

... and more evidence that comparing behavior/consequences for pro athletes to behavior/consequences for a normal workplace is stupid.

Not bad for a guy whose quarterback was unhappy when they drafted him. " (great) we picked up a WR that's 150 lbs wet" was what Donovan McNabb said. A few years later DeSean is getting paid and McNabb is washed up.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBear323 View Post
    Not bad for a guy whose quarterback was unhappy when they drafted him. " (great) we picked up a WR that's 150 lbs wet" was what Donovan McNabb said. A few years later DeSean is getting paid and McNabb is washed up.
    I love DeSean as much as anyone, but if you think he's had even 1/10th as much impact on that franchise as McNabb had, you're nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndGold View Post
    I love DeSean as much as anyone, but if you think he's had even 1/10th as much impact on that franchise as McNabb had, you're nuts.
    DeSean has had a huge impact on Philly. Maybe not as big as Donovan, but way more that 1/10th of what McNabb has given the city.

From his very first game, he proved to be a playmaker. He did all these crazy things. In fact, the Eagles wouldn't have made the NFC championship game in DeSean's rookie season without him.

He made a floundering Donovan look better than he was.

His speed has also opened up the offense to other players.

NFL Films voted DeSean's punt return for a TD the No. 1 play in Eagles history, beating Herm Edwards' Miracle in the Meadowlands.

There's a reason that DeSean and his contract have been national NFL news.

It's because he is pretty damn good.

being here in Philly, I can say you are comparing Apples to Oranges. McNabb came in with a new coach, and was a controversial draft pick (local sports guy lead a group to NYC to boo the pick, because the Eagles passed on Ricky Williams), the team was really bad,and, obviously McNabb was a QB. McNabb had success, but also gets blamed for not winning the big one(and/or only having been to the big one once)
    DeSean came in as a second round draft pick, so, you have to remember, in that context, Eagles fans were pleasantly surprised-probably not a stretch to say the best perceived pick(impact vs. draft position)of the Andy Reid era. Then, not being a QB, probably less of a highly criticized figure anyway-even the happenings of last year weren't overly polarizing, not even to the degree that McNabb became a polarizing figure.
    Without question, the punt return bought DeSean a whole lot of equity.

I don't think anybody said DeSean has made more of an impact than McNabb.
    The point was, McNabb should have been happy the Eagles drafted DeSean instead of hurling insults his way.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBear323 View Post
    Absolutely ignorant compliment.

if McNabb said that, it had absolutely no legs here in Philly...I don't recall that at all...

You're extrapolating a lot out of my comment. Just saying how DeSean (like a few other bears) had some doubters/haters in his own locker room. DeSean probably won McNabb quite fast, but I'm just saying that he's had to deal with a lot of unnecessary bs to get to where he's at.
    Last edited by SoCalBear323; 03-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.