Thread: New Pac-12 coaches

New Pac-12 coaches

Which one of the new Pac-12 coaches... Leach, RichRod, Mora or Graham is most likely to succeed?

I initially thought it would be RichRod, but his arrival midseason certainly didn't translate into recruiting. If he can get players I don't see any reason why he can't win at UofA like Dick Tomey did.

I love Leach and what he did at Texas Tech, but can he recruit those same types of players to Pullman? Seemed like he really benefited from the deep Texas recruiting pool. His offensive system will be a pain to game plan for, though, and I don't think Wazzu was as bad as they showed under Wulff. There is some offensive talent there.

Don't think much of Graham's arrival at ASU. I think that program regresses. Also don't think Mora is a good coach, either, although I have been surprised at his ability to recruit.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoOso View Post
    Which one of the new Pac-12 coaches... Leach, RichRod, Mora or Graham is most likely to succeed?

I initially thought it would be RichRod, but his arrival midseason certainly didn't translate into recruiting. If he can get players I don't see any reason why he can't win at UofA like Dick Tomey did.

I love Leach and what he did at Texas Tech, but can he recruit those same types of players to Pullman? Seemed like he really benefited from the deep Texas recruiting pool. His offensive system will be a pain to game plan for, though, and I don't think Wazzu was as bad as they showed under Wulff. There is some offensive talent there.

Don't think much of Graham's arrival at ASU. I think that program regresses. Also don't think Mora is a good coach, either, although I have been surprised at his ability to recruit.

Thoughts?
    UCLA is in a good recruiting area, plus already has a lot of talent on the roster. I say Mora does well.

Quote Originally Posted by GummyGrizzly View Post
    UCLA is in a good recruiting area, plus already has a lot of talent on the roster. I say Mora does well.
    Are you really making me choose? If forced I would say RichRod. There are NOT a lot of guys that have gone from the NFL to the College game. I think that is because in the NFL there is a GM who typically handles a TON of the personnel issues - a larger front office that reports to an Owner (or the VP for business operations). College is a much more encompassing job overseeing the whole of the program.

So my guess is that Mora Fails. Lynch finds out that Pullman is NOT an attractive place to recruit speedy athletes to and I don't have a clue about Graham's long term prospects but think ASU has a problem in recruiting compared to its counterpart down in Tuscon.

Well, I hate to be pedantic, but ...

... how do you define "success"?

1. Getting to a PAC-12 championship? Or,

2. Engineering a tremendous turnaround in the program, going from bottom dweller to consistent bowl games?

If it is #1, then I like RichRod's chances at Arizona. I think for all his faults, Stoops did a fine job in getting that program back on track, and with a little luck, it wouldn't take much to be a contender in the PAC12 south within a year or two.

On the other hand, if you measure success as #2, I think it will be Leach in a landslide up in Pullman. Although he won't get a lot of credit for this in the future, Wulff did the hard work in WSU in turning the program around, even though he didn't bag a lot of wins. Now with a big name like Leach to bring in some better recruits, I think the Cougs are in a good position to build on this foundation and become bowl eligible.

I see nothing whatsoever to indicate that ASU is going anywhere, no matter who the coach is.

And although UCLA is in recruit-rich southern California and has a certain cachet, I think that program has some kind of underlying malaise that won't be significantly overcome by Mora.

Quote Originally Posted by GummyGrizzly View Post
    I don't know if Mora will do well, but I agree about UCLA being in a good recruiting area, which makes that part of his job a lot easier. Most years we'd be ecstatic to have the recruiting class that UCLA gets, and it's been this way since at least the late 70's.

Leach because he is smart and the expectations are less

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Leach because he is smart and the expectations are less
    Leach is the one we can least afford to be successful. Then Mora.

WSU was our guarantee that we do not finish last in the Pac-12 North.

Loyal Bear
    Leach could do very well at WSU. The Palouse is a paradise compared to Lubbock, TX. Anyone who can recruit to Lubbock can recruit to The Palouse.

RB65 - +1. Anyone who's ever been to Lubbock will concur. Any success Leach has will be magnified by his low starting point. And, he will drive other players and coaches crazy.

Further upside - he's got something to prove. Downside - does he have the energy and can he keep his mind together?

I've got them in this order:

1. Leach
    2. Rich Rod
    3. Mora
    4. Graham

Maybe Mora and Graham are switched.

Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    My list is
    Leach/Mora tie
    Rodriquez
    Graham

I think Leach will make the most dramatic change. Within a year or two it will be tough to escape the pollouse with a win.

Active Bear

Interesting....

Leach, Mora and Rodriguez were not coaching last year, yet they end up with HC spots in the PAC 12, go figure?

Leach was successful with Texas Tech, but little else.

Mora was 31-33 in the NFL, dumped after one season with the Seahawks in favor of Petey.

Rich Rod had a great run at West Virginia, the folks at Michigan could not wait for him to leave.

Graham, who knows, he seems to move around frequently, abandoned his players at Pitt, a la Lupoi's departure.

Why can't the PAC 12 attract better coaches, folks running successful programs currently, not TV analysts, or "journeymen" (Graham)?

That being said, ASU and UCLA's problems are at the AD level, as neither Graham nor Mora were the "first choice" at either program. More has brought in a pretty good staff, especially their recruiting skills, but remains to be seen how effective they are preparing their squad and making adjustments during a game.

Rich Rod deserves a second chance, after Michigan, the question here is whether or not AZ has the type of athletes to run his system, which was not the case at Michigan.

Which brings me to Leach, as he does bring a wide open, spread offense to the PAC 12, which CAL (under Tedford) has had a difficult time defending. WSU looks like a great fit for Leach, the expectations (based on recent history) puts less of a spotlight on him. Admittedly, I am hoping that more of his focus is on "beating the Dawgs" and undermining Sark, Kiesau, Lupoi, etc.

Net/net, my prediction is that Leach will be the most successful of the four. Second spot goes to Rich Rod, allowing for AZ to have patience with him to recruit his style of athlete to AZ, which should happen, as they endured Stoops and his sideline behaviour for longer than expected.

Graham and Mora should realize that they are not on solid ground, as the AD's at both schools ought to be fired in the next year or two, meaning that the new AD will have the opportunity to bring in their preferred Football HC.

The Mora coaching approach seems to be shaping up as this:

Hire OC and DC who are the football minds and who have systems that you are sympathetic with.

Hire assistant coaches whose job is to recruit and to help the players learn their position assignments. Any actual teaching they do would be gravy, but shouldn't have much time spent on it.

Mora does the AD/Chancellor/donor relations/press relations thing and prays every night that the players haven't gone over the wall that day.

Could work.

Quote Originally Posted by RealBear65 View Post
    Leach could do very well at WSU. The Palouse is a paradise compared to Lubbock, TX. Anyone who can recruit to Lubbock can recruit to The Palouse.
    Was it his recruiting, or making the best of what he had at TTech? I don't imagine Leach won too many in-state, or in-conference recruiting battles with UT, OU, or A&M; and would guess he had to fight it out for their leftovers with the rest of the Big 12.

I agree he could do well at WSU...because he's a good coach. But he's not in talent rich Texas anymore, and I don't see him out-recruiting anybody in the P-12.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Les Richter (October 26, 1930 June 12, 2010)
    University of California All-America 1951