Thread: Guess I'm a "hatter": Glad St. Mary's lost.

Guess I'm a "hatter": Glad St. Mary's lost.

It's pretty much about jealousy, but I'm glad to see that wimpy little school from Moraga get ousted.

We really ought to schedule them every year. We could go two years at Haas for every one year in Moraga. Heck, if they beat us fair and square on a routine basis, more power to them, they'd have my respect. In any event, we'd have some local excitement.

I agree with your thoughts on scheduling them but not with the idea of them losing. Other than KU, where our daughter is a senior, I always root for the local schools and underdogs if the Bears aren't playing. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    It's pretty much about jealousy, but I'm glad to see that wimpy little school from Moraga get ousted.

We really ought to schedule them every year. We could go two years at Haas for every one year in Moraga. Heck, if they beat us fair and square on a routine basis, more power to them, they'd have my respect. In any event, we'd have some local excitement.
    You know what, I agree with you. Glad they are out. I actually have nothing against St. Mary's themselves. Seems like they have good kids that can play, and Bennett is obviously a very good coach.

What makes me want to gag is the constant ball-washing job done by the bay area media on behalf of that plucky little school in Moraga. Cal has had seasons as good as St. Mary's has over the last couple decades and never got the unadulterated fawning the Gaels do. And frankly the Bears' season wasn't much worse than the Gaels' even this year either (look at the ratings - Cal is right there, and higher in the Pomeroy). But St. Mary's comes first in the local news every time and Cal is an afterthought. Why? Huge alum base (not)? Little engine that could? Barf.

Don't get me wrong, Cal doesn't deserve to be ball-washed either. We need to start earning it on the court. Just a little equal treatment would be nice. Yes I'm jealous.

Agree we ought to schedule them, purely from a financial standpoint if nothing else - game would probably sell out Haas. If they beat us, good on them.

Quote Originally Posted by OneKeg View Post
    You know what, I agree with you. Glad they are out. I actually have nothing against St. Mary's themselves. Seems like they have good kids that can play, and Bennett is obviously a very good coach.

What makes me want to gag is the constant ball-washing job done by the bay area media on behalf of that plucky little school in Moraga. Cal has had seasons as good as St. Mary's has over the last couple decades and never got the unadulterated fawning the Gaels do. And frankly the Bears' season wasn't much worse than the Gaels' even this year either (look at the ratings - Cal is right there, and higher in the Pomeroy). But St. Mary's comes first in the local news every time and Cal is an afterthought. Why? Huge alum base (not)? Little engine that could? Barf.

Don't get me wrong, Cal doesn't deserve to be ball-washed either. We need to start earning it on the court. Just a little equal treatment would be nice. Yes I'm jealous.

Agree we ought to schedule them, purely from a financial standpoint if nothing else - game would probably sell out Haas. If they beat us, good on them.
    We're on exactly the same page. Those idiots on KNBR fawning over Bennett's every inept word makes me want to puke... and it's nothing against St. Mary's, or even Randy Bennett, I'd just like to see us get more publicity. I have to think, if we played them 10 times over the last two years, we'd of won 6-7. But w/o playing them, we'll never know, will we?

St. Mary's is eager to engage with the media and also has solid TV contracts locked in with ESPN/CSN. Cal has a standoffish media relations department that doesn't know how to market itself.

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by OneKeg View Post
    Speak for yourself. I never turn down a good ball washing.

But i agree, we should play them every year.

Quote Originally Posted by LessMilesMoreTedford View Post
    St. Mary's is eager to engage with the media and also has solid TV contracts locked in with ESPN/CSN. Cal has a standoffish media relations department that doesn't know how to market itself.
    This is a good point.

Monty, himself, should court the media a little more. I get the feeling that he thinks he's beyond that crap at this stage of his career, but it would help the program.
    Last edited by Big C_Cal; 03-18-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Now You're Bashing St. Marys and Bennett?

Why do some posters on this site have problems with the success of other schools in the area? Why in the world would anyone criticize the recognition and accomplishments of people like Randy Bennett? He has helped further the positive aspects of Bay area college basketball on a national, international, and local basis. If USF and Santa Clara were to recruit well or attain the NCAA tournament, would they also be criticized?

Perhaps we should just hire Bennett. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by goggleman1 View Post
    Why do some posters on this site have problems with the success of other schools in the area? Why in the world would anyone criticize the recognition and accomplishments of people like Randy Bennett? He has helped further the positive aspects of Bay area college basketball on a national, international, and local basis. If USF and Santa Clara were to recruit well or attain the NCAA tournament, would they also be criticized?
    I described exactly what my problem with St. Mary's was, my friend: I'm JEALOUS. Is it MY problem? Yes. Do I need therapy? Probably, I've been a Cal football and basketball fan for a few freakin' decades.

Nothing Wrong with being Jealous...

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Of course, you're entitled to your feelings. What rankled me was the posting referring to Bennett (as humble and gracious an interviewee as I've ever seen and heard -- on a consistent basis) as being "inept." On top of that, Tolbert and Barbieri (probably the ones at KNBR who interview him the most) are far from "idiots."

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Of course, you're entitled to your feelings. What rankled me was the posting referring to Bennett (as humble and gracious an interviewee as I've ever seen and heard -- on a consistent basis) as being "inept." On top of that, Tolbert and Barbieri (probably the ones at KNBR who interview him the most) are far from "idiots."
    You were doing well until you said that Barbieri is far from an "idiot." oops, there goes your credibility.

No way. Cal played at that gym of theirs years ago. It was worse than Northridge (remember that debacle?). I'd play them in a real arena - neutral site. We should do a local triple header - Cal vs Saint Marys, USF vs Santa Clara, 'furd vs SJ State. Throw in Sac State vs UC Davis and make it a mini-tourney

There was talk of this proposal years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniaBear View Post
    No way. Cal played at that gym of theirs years ago. It was worse than Northridge (remember that debacle?). I'd play them in a real arena - neutral site. We should do a local triple header - Cal vs Saint Marys, USF vs Santa Clara, 'furd vs SJ State. Throw in Sac State vs UC Davis and make it a mini-tourney
    I do not recall any of the many reasons why it never happened.

Fair enough. Bennett has proved that he is FAR from "inept" as a coach. On the radio, however, though humble and gracious as you say, I think he sort of sounds like a doofus. I believe I recall that, when Monty was hired at Cal, Bennett also interviewed for the position and was not very impressive in the interview (believe I read that here on BI at the time).