Thread: Oh, is there a tournament going on?

Oh, is there a tournament going on?

The NCAA Tournament is, more years than not, thoroughly entertaining. Maybe it's just me (some posters will surely say so), but this year's edition is the TV equivalent of Sominex.

Call is out, so we don't have a dog in the hunt. (BTW, did we EVER? We lost our "play-in game" so, IMO, that leaves me with the impression that we were never "in.")

No Pac 12 or WCC teams left. (In fact, no Western teams at all). Great, we get to hear a whole lot of ACC, Big East and Big Ten honks drone on about how "they don't know their basketball out West."

Where are the half court buzzer beaters (anyone remember U.S. Reed's half court heave?) and game winning threes? Where are the Cinderella teams? (There are exactly zero Cinderellas this year.)

The only good thing is that Duke lost, and we all got to see Coach K do his lemon sucking face as his team was going down.

Yawn. Wake me up when it's all over.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
    The NCAA Tournament is, more years than not, thoroughly entertaining. Maybe it's just me (some posters will surely say so), but this year's edition is the TV equivalent of Sominex.

Call is out, so we don't have a dog in the hunt. (BTW, did we EVER? We lost our "play-in game" so, IMO, that leaves me with the impression that we were never "in.")

No Pac 12 or WCC teams left. (In fact, no Western teams at all). Great, we get to hear a whole lot of ACC, Big East and Big Ten honks drone on about how "they don't know their basketball out West."

Where are the half court buzzer beaters (anyone remember U.S. Reed's half court heave?) and game winning threes? Where are the Cinderella teams? (There are exactly zero Cinderellas this year.)

The only good thing is that Duke lost, and we all got to see Coach K do his lemon sucking face as his team was going down.

Cinderellas? Ohio U? Lehigh beating Duke? Norfolk beating Mizzou? You are right about game winning threes though - like that one dude for Northern Iowa beating Kansas two years ago. Should be some good games coming up.

True about the lack of buzzer-beaters so far, but there have been plenty of upsets (two 15 seeds winning!), and some barn-burner games that came down to the wire (the Kansas-Purdue game was incredible drama).

The tournament is never truly boring.

I call West Coast Bias!

Following college basketball in general was a lot more fun back when the top players stayed in college longer. In October, you could anticipate a TV matchup between Walton and Thompson, Samson and Ewing, or whomever. Now, once ya get to know the top players, they're gone.

And it wasn't too long ago, either: Heck, remember when Jason Kidd left for the NBA after "only" two years and we were aghast?

"Fortunately", it's still great to be a California Golden Bears fan because we can really get to know our players over their 4 (Jorge) or even 5 (Harper) year careers. I mean, wouldn't that suck if we had had Kidd, Murray, Abdur-Rahim, Anderson and Powe this past year and then they all fled to the NBA?
    Last edited by Big C_Cal; 03-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Cinderellas? Ohio U? Lehigh beating Duke? Norfolk beating Mizzou? You are right about game winning threes though - like that one dude for Northern Iowa beating Kansas two years ago. Should be some good games coming up.
    Forgot about Ohio U, but they are it. You can't call Xavier a Cinderella. They are the equivalent of Gonzaga at this point; they're in the Big Dance every year. As for the rest of the field: KU, UNC, Kentucky, Syracuse, Ohio State, Louisville, NC State, Indiana. Ho. Hum. Baylor is probably the most interesting team left.

Indiana vs. Kentucky

The regular season game (won by IU on a three at the buzzer) was one of the best games of the year.

Happy with tournament but unhappy with the rent a player teams like Kentucky doing well. How is THAT college basketball as opposed to the AAU all pro team prior to signing with NBA.

I will be interested to see, if the 1s stay alive on Th/Friday how this years final four does in the ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post

LB: I like your post. Nice summary of how a Cal fan would react to all this.

As someone who grew up in Illinois and followed March Madness like it was a religion long before I became a Cal fan, I agree that it feels like Cal was never in it. This play-in game BS is an "innovation" I could do without.

I agree with the "death to Kentucky" sentiment. They are the "cartoon villains" of this whole thing, as they are every year. You have no idea how F'd up the culture surrounding UK's program really is. It makes USC football look pure and virtuous by comparison.

It was probably too much to ask for Norfolk St. or Lehigh to get to the sweet 16, but you've got to admit those were some big-time upsets that caused them to be playing on Sunday.

One of these days (soon), the Bears will make some real noise in this tourney.

The lack of a west coast presence does affect local interest but there are some great regional stories developing. Kentucky vs Indiana in a battle of old rivals; Buckeyes vs Cinci-shades of Jerry Lucas vs the Big O; even the possibility of NCState meeting UNC in the elite 8. I think the level of basketball has also been pretty high in this tournament compared to previous years.

Um

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    I mean, wouldn't that suck if we had had Kidd, Murray, Abdur-Rahim, Anderson and Powe this past year and then they all fled to the NBA?

No. Wouldn't suck at all.