Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Warrior fans testy

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBear07 View Post
    LOL at the racism accusation.

A. What's an owner to do? Say that they're NOT going to be winning this year? And even if he did proclaim that the Warriors would be winning this season and the fans were reacting to that, that only supports the contention that the Warriors fans in attendance are not very bright if they really thought the team was going to be much of a winner with more or less the same rotation as last year.
    And who's fault is that? Lacob has made it clear he is the one making the basketball decisions (and has installed his son in that department as well). He is the one who decided to amnesty Charlie Bell instead of Andris Biedrins, and to keep David Lee despite his nonexistent defense, etc etc.

B. The trade was essentially a home run swing at making the Warriors respectable again. It's been obvious over the last few years that the Warriors aren't going anywhere as currently constructed. Worst case, the Warriors end up tanking this season, Bogut is never consistently healthy, and the Warriors end up with a top 5 pick in what is a very deep draft this year. More likely case, the Warriors end up tanking this season, Bogut returns close to his pre-injury form, and the Warriors quicken their rebuild with a marquee draft pick this year.
    Your optimism is admirable. As I said above, the "team as currently constructed" mostly bears the fingerprints of Lacob (and before you tell me he wasn't the owner yet when they traded for David Lee, he made it abundantly clear that he was consulted and was enthusiastic about that trade).

C. Popular player. Likable player. Awesome-to-watch player. So do Warriors fans care more about winning or watching a fun player simply get his 20 points a night?
    No argument here. But seeing as he just traded a likable, popular player for an injured player, he should have expected to be booed.

D. The retirement ceremony was a decision made by the team and its management. As owner, Lacob had every right to be there as the principal representative of the team. I hardly see how his giving a few words in support of an iconic player for the franchise is stealing the spotlight.
    The moment was about Mullin, not Lacob. He chose to speak AFTER Mullin. He wasn't intro-ing him. It was a bad idea. It's clear to me Lacob loves the spotlight. That's fine, but he better win or this is going to keep happening. (Especially if he keeps pursuing an arena in SF and whiffing on free agents).

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    I have no idea what to even say to the racism accusation, though it says much about you and nothing about me, so I'll let it slide.

A. And?
    B. Yes, but the team sucked already this season, and was always going to suck with a gunner/6'2 SG like Monta. Bogut is a top 5 center in the league. It's a gamble because he's been hurt a lot, but a gamble is better than what they'd ever get from Monta - which is some exciting moments, but lots of losses. At least with Bogut they have a chance to improve. Hence my comment.
    C. Hence my comment.
    D. I agree with this. However, the Warriors fans then REALLY made the ceremony about Lacob/them, and not about Mullin. Even when Mullin asked them to calm down, they did not. Again, hence my comment. Lacob definitely came off as a tool, no doubt. But no one would have really noted it and the night would have been about Mullin. Instead, the Warriors fans put Mullin on the backburner and embarrassed themselves and the team because now this is a big story. Congrats.
    Without getting into another point-by-point refutation (see my response to another poster above for that) I don't think we disagree much about the fundamentals here.

Basically for me it boils down to:

- Don't say you're going to win NOW and then keep a team together that has proven it cannot do that... then tank the season when your mistake becomes evident. There is no excuse for amnestying Charlie Bell and keeping Biedrins' HORRENDOUS contract. None. And if they had made the conclusions you cite about Ellis, they should have traded him a LONG time ago. They had years to see what he can and cannot do.

- I don't really buy the idea of Warrior fans "embarrassing themselves" (and no, I was not at the game last night, and would not have booed if I was). You buy your ticket and the owner gets up to speak, you get to boo him. That's the deal.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection. Send my credentials to the house of detention.
    Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Light racism? Is this discrimination against mulattoes?
    No. Against octoroons.

I agree. How can anyone call Warriors fans an embarrassment? they are the most loyal and passionate fans in the league. and they've had next to nothing to show for such loyalty. obviously cohan was an idiot, and warriors fans deserved much better. but these new owners haven't been much different. so far they've been a lot of talk without much winning. and rather than showing the fans how much the owners/management appreciate them, they are constantly belittling them. when lacob made that idiotic remark about true fans being only season ticket holders, that was all i needed to know about lacob. he made another stupid remark last night with his "now that we've got that over with" statement. he is absolutely clueless. warriors fans have been nothing but loyal. and they've gotten no winning in return and an owner who makes patronizing remarks towards them. these fans have paid a lot of money over the years to see a crappy product. they have absolutely every right to boo if they want to.

LOL at the racism accusation.

A. What's an owner to do? Say that they're NOT going to be winning this year? And even if he did proclaim that the Warriors would be winning this season and the fans were reacting to that, that only supports the contention that the Warriors fans in attendance are not very bright if they really thought the team was going to be much of a winner with more or less the same rotation as last year.

C. Popular player. Likable player. Awesome-to-watch player. So do Warriors fans care more about winning or watching a fun player simply get his 20 points a night?

D. The retirement ceremony was a decision made by the team and its management. As owner, Lacob had every right to be there as the principal representative of the team. I hardly see how his giving a few words in support of an iconic player for the franchise is stealing the spotlight.
    As a Warrior fan who wasn't there last night, I'm disappointed by the booing. Shouldn't have happened on Mully's night. Don't agree with booing Lacob at this point as it's still early and though he's made some decisions I disagree with (kept Rowell for a year, kept Riley, made his son head of basketball ops, hired a guy who neither knows nor cares about coaching as the head coach) its nothing worthy of public shaming yet. Cohan I would've bought a ticket specifically to go boo him if I knew he was going to show his face at a particular game.

With that said, I think you've off base. Lacob GUARANTEED a playoff spot. Among other things. He then tanked the season and traded away a popular player. I actually like the trade but I can see how some people would feel lied to and cheated out of a lot of money. Link: http://www.nba.com/warriors/photos/GSW_Articles.pdf

Regarding C, the night was to honor a guy who never got the Warriors past the 2nd round. It's not like the night was about winning championships.

Regarding D, he has a right to be there, the fans have a right to let him know how they feel. The main defense of what happened I feel is that as a fan you have very few opportunities to do something like that. It's not like Lacob gives a talk to the arena once a homestand. It happened to Cohan back in 2000 and he spent the next decade hiding under a rock.

1. It was a bad show by the fans to boo at the ceremony. No matter what you may think of Lacob, booing takes away from Chris Mullin's moment. It was not the right time.

2. Lacob also made a bad decision to speak after Mullin. If it's Mullin who is being honored, he should be the last to speak. This does show a bit of glory-hound vibe from him, though I'd also note that this is not always a bad thing (see Cuban, Mark).

3. I understand the fans' frustration, but I do think it's ironic that they took to booing the owner presumably because they are upset over the Monta Ellis trade. The irony is that the Ellis trade is probably the first forward-thinking move the Warriors organization has made in years. I'm not saying it'll definitely work out, but at least they are finally trying something bold. I would boo a lot of decisions the franchise has made over the last 20 years, but not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by maxer View Post
    And who's fault is that? Lacob has made it clear he is the one making the basketball decisions (and has installed his son in that department as well). He is the one who decided to amnesty Charlie Bell instead of Andris Biedrins, and to keep David Lee despite his nonexistent defense, etc etc.

Your optimism is admirable. As I said above, the "team as currently constructed" mostly bears the fingerprints of Lacob (and before you tell me he wasn't the owner yet when they traded for David Lee, he made it abundantly clear that he was consulted and was enthusiastic about that trade).

No argument here. But seeing as he just traded a likable, popular player for an injured player, he should have expected to be booed.
    What it boils down to for me is that Lacob has not been owner nearly long enough to really be judged in any significant way by the fanbase. As far as I can tell, he legitimately believes that the Warriors can be a great team within the next ten years and is taking steps to make that a reality; it's not as if he's simply trading away popular stars to save money or drive attendance down (Oakland A's fans, many of whom I would assume are Warriors fans as well, have a far better argument for that). You're probably right that it was a little disingenuous of Lacob to claim surprise at being booed but it doesn't make it any more intelligent for the fans themselves to have booed, considering what I said above and the context of the night.

The moment was about Mullin, not Lacob. He chose to speak AFTER Mullin. He wasn't intro-ing him. It was a bad idea. It's clear to me Lacob loves the spotlight. That's fine, but he better win or this is going to keep happening. (Especially if he keeps pursuing an arena in SF and whiffing on free agents).
    Thanks for the correction there. I only saw clips of the booing and didn't realize that Lacob picked up the microphone after Mullin said his bit. I actually agree with you then that in doing so, Lacob did sorta make the night about him as well and that wasn't really well thought out, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by boredom View Post
    As a Warrior fan who wasn't there last night, I'm disappointed by the booing. Shouldn't have happened on Mully's night. Don't agree with booing Lacob at this point as it's still early and though he's made some decisions I disagree with (kept Rowell for a year, kept Riley, made his son head of basketball ops, hired a guy who neither knows nor cares about coaching as the head coach) its nothing worthy of public shaming yet. Cohan I would've bought a ticket specifically to go boo him if I knew he was going to show his face at a particular game.

With that said, I think you've off base. Lacob GUARANTEED a playoff spot. Among other things. He then tanked the season and traded away a popular player. I actually like the trade but I can see how some people would feel lied to and cheated out of a lot of money. Link: http://www.nba.com/warriors/photos/GSW_Articles.pdf

Regarding C, the night was to honor a guy who never got the Warriors past the 2nd round. It's not like the night was about winning championships.

Regarding D, he has a right to be there, the fans have a right to let him know how they feel. The main defense of what happened I feel is that as a fan you have very few opportunities to do something like that. It's not like Lacob gives a talk to the arena once a homestand. It happened to Cohan back in 2000 and he spent the next decade hiding under a rock.
    I was actually really amused the first time I saw that "contract" Lacob put forth for Warriors fans; it almost seemed like it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek bravado (heck, maybe it was) considering the current makeup of the roster. But c'mon, no reasonable fan would really use that to assume that the Warriors were going to make the playoffs as a basis for buying a ticket. Furthermore, Lacob provided penalty provisions for himself if the team didn't live up to his claims and none of them have officially kicked in yet, so it's not as if Lacob straight up lied to the fanbase. If he raises ticket prices next year and doesn't hold that drawing, then go ahead and boo him then for being a liar or even a pestilence to the franchise.

Even THEN, it wouldn't have been right for the fans to boo during a ceremony honoring one of the few legitimate superstars the team has had over the past couple decades. Sure, there aren't many chances you get to boo the owner in his presence, but are the fans really too immature to corral their feelings, however reasonable they may be, for a more appropriate setting?

Trust Jerry West

Quote Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
    Joe Lacob was bood roundly tonight at Oracle during Chris Mullins' ceremony.
    Mullin and Rick Barry stood up and took the mike to admonish them for being classless. Those fans loved their Monta. Don Nelson set things straight on the broadcast: "He's a 6'2" 2 guard. You can't win in the NBA with that. Getting an All Star 7' center is unheard of. A steal if ever there was one. Now, if he can just walk.

I would gladly take him back to LA. Warriors fans must not want to win.

I don't understand

Quote Originally Posted by ducky23 View Post
    - Lacob promising a change, but so far its looking like the same old ****

Lacob promised change, so he decided to trade for the big man the Warriors have never had and then gets booed for it! I don't think Warriors fans want change. They like watching exciting, but crappy teams.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection. Send my credentials to the house of detention.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky23 View Post
    I agree. How can anyone call Warriors fans an embarrassment? they are the most loyal and passionate fans in the league. and they've had next to nothing to show for such loyalty. obviously cohan was an idiot, and warriors fans deserved much better. but these new owners haven't been much different. so far they've been a lot of talk without much winning. and rather than showing the fans how much the owners/management appreciate them, they are constantly belittling them. when lacob made that idiotic remark about true fans being only season ticket holders, that was all i needed to know about lacob. he made another stupid remark last night with his "now that we've got that over with" statement. he is absolutely clueless. warriors fans have been nothing but loyal. and they've gotten no winning in return and an owner who makes patronizing remarks towards them. these fans have paid a lot of money over the years to see a crappy product. they have absolutely every right to boo if they want to.
    The Warriors broke my heart when they traded Bernard King. It took Klay Thompson to bring me back. When I was a junior at Cal I went with some buddies to SFO to greet the team after they won the NBA Championship in 1975.

I was actually really amused the first time I saw that "contract" Lacob put forth for Warriors fans; it almost seemed like it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek bravado (heck, maybe it was) considering the current makeup of the roster. But c'mon, no reasonable fan would really use that to assume that the Warriors were going to make the playoffs as a basis for buying a ticket. Furthermore, Lacob provided penalty provisions for himself if the team didn't live up to his claims and none of them have officially kicked in yet, so it's not as if Lacob straight up lied to the fanbase. If he raises ticket prices next year and doesn't hold that drawing, then go ahead and boo him then for being a liar or even a pestilence to the franchise.

Even THEN, it wouldn't have been right for the fans to boo during a ceremony honoring one of the few legitimate superstars the team has had over the past couple decades. Sure, there aren't many chances you get to boo the owner in his presence, but are the fans really too immature to corral their feelings, however reasonable they may be, for a more appropriate setting?
    The point is that some could have taken that contract (and Lacob's talk and Jackson's playoff bluster and etc) as "we are going to do our best to win games this year". They weren't out of the playoff race (probably not going to make it and would've gotten destroyed had they gotten in) and waved the white flag (at least I'm hoping management did; Curry should not play the rest of the year).

Again, I like the trade, I would not have booed Lacob on Mullin's night (and even if it wasn't, Lacob hasn't done enough wrong yet). But after two decades of futility and two years of promises and bluster about winning and competing, I can see why someone would boo the guy who just waved the white flag.

Lacob made a bad situation much worse by:

A) taking the mic AFTER the man of the night, Mr. Chris Mullin

B) standing there like an indignant school teacher waiting for the crowd to quiet down

C) making reference to the booing in his speech.

D) not really Lacob's fault, but letting blowhard Rick Barry get involved. Having Rick Barry get up and chastise the crowd for being classless was like throwing gasoline on a fire

Fans can (and probably will) boo Lacob any night when he sits court side.
    But, really, what chance has he had to improve the team this year (except for amnestying Biedrens). There was limited free agency and pre-season practice due to the lock out. Brandon Rush has been fairly useful, Dominic McGuire can guard almost anybody (shut down Love in the third qtr until Mark Jackson inexplicably took him off that duty). Nate Robinson is now the starting point guard. Curry's ankle trouble could not have exactly been predicted. Now he flips Stephen Jackson for Jefferson and (SA's protected 1st round pick) who can provide scoring minutes of his own off the bench. I think Lacob and Co. have done remarkably well given what they've started with.

FingeroftheBear

How to Annoy a Fan Base in 60 Easy Steps (Warriors)

How to Annoy a Fan Base in 60 Easy Steps

Wow, this breaks things down in point by point torture. A short history lesson from 1976 onward...35 years of terrible.