Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward (a true all time great) hangs 'em up.

Hines Ward (a true all time great) hangs 'em up.

Manning's contract with the Broncos is big news, but so is (at least in my opinion) today's retirement of Hines Ward. I think he is one of the best WR's of all time, and especially like the fact that he has always been the consummate team player. He blocked like a MOFO. No one other than Jerry Rice better epitomozes the ideal WR than this guy.

Here is an excerpt from the Yahoo Sports article reporting on his retirement:

"Selected in the third round of the 1998 NFL draft, the Georgia alum leaves the game with all-time franchise marks in receptions (1,000), receiving yards (12,083), receiving touchdowns (85) and 100-yard receiving games (29). He's one of two players in NFL history -- Jerry Rice is the other -- to have at least 1,000 career catches and win multiple Super Bowls. Ward was named the Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl XL, was part of four Pro Bowls, and is a member of the Steelers' 75th Season All-Time Team.

As impressive as his stats are, Ward will always be known as the consummate team player -- he may be the best blocking receiver in NFL history, and he never failed to put it on the line when clearing lanes for running backs and protecting quarterbacks so that other receivers could excel."

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Couldn't agree more. Being half Korean like he is, I can say that he's always made me proud.

Is that the dude from DAncing with the Stars?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Being half Korean like he is, I can say that he's always made me proud.
    So he is half asian! All this time I was wondering but too lazy to actually check, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    Is that the dude from DAncing with the Stars?

Are you the woman that always posts about reality tv?

As another half Korean, I agree. Hinesanity! Has there ever been another Korean in the NFL? He's a big celebrity in Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Balls View Post
    Are you the woman that always posts about reality tv?
    Sorry okaydo, but I am literally laughing my ass off right now. So funny!

Quote Originally Posted by oobay View Post
    As another half Korean, I agree. Hinesanity! Has there ever been another Korean in the NFL? He's a big celebrity in Korea.
    Hines has single handedly done a lot to break down racism and bigotry towards blacks and mixed raced Koreans. He is a great football player, teammate and son. Hall of Famer for sure.

Sorry my friend...

Hines has single handedly done a lot to break down racism and bigotry towards blacks and mixed raced Koreans. He is a great football player, teammate and son. Hall of Famer for sure.
    That doesn't forgive the fact he was a Steeler.

See you in the fall, A.

Quote Originally Posted by GRRAAH View Post
    That doesn't forgive the fact he was a Steeler.

See you in the fall, A.
    Lol. True! That was his one major flaw. Hope Florida was fun. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

But seriously, as a a Hapa myself, I've closely followed his career, from his visit to South Korea when he was Super Bowl MVP to watching him tear up this morning.

Sorry okaydo, but I am literally laughing my ass off right now. So funny!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    But seriously, as a a Hapa myself, I've closely followed his career, from his visit to South Korea when he was Super Bowl MVP to watching him tear up this morning.
    Geez, lots of Hapa's on this board. I think we all agree, as does most everyone, that Hines will be remembered well.

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Not to show my "'ism" off to the world, but I too liked Ward he was an outstanding non-black non-giant WR.

I also like Left handed QB's and Black QB's, Latino TE's, Tiny BB players, Asian BB players, tiny WR's, female kickers, etc. for the same reason.

I think it is cool when a guy who is not normal looking stands out so much.

Ward was one of my favorite players... Cant wait to see him in the dark knite rises.
    Last edited by Phantomfan; 03-20-2012 at 01:12 PM.

I've been a Steeler fan for close to 40 years and Hines is one of my all time favorites.
    So glad he retired rather than ending up with one last bad season in a different uniform.