Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WOW...these officials SUCK!!!

even on Rebkell there was much talk about the refs. It didn't change the outcome, but it certainly didn't hurt....

Proud of the Bears though. Way to hang tough.

Can you post a link?

Am technologically challenged.

Here's Rebkell thread: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=70932

and the thread from the ESPN board, even more complaints: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...286422-699-127

Everyone (save for ND fans) seems to agree that Cal got hosed by the refs....seems like a real embarrassment for officiating. ND would likely have prevailed, but the foul calls against Cal certainly seemed to tip the game in the home team's favor.

Cal should be proud though. People took notice of this team and their HUGE potential for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by letsski View Post
    The male ref actually does Big West games. We (UC Davis) had him for a game recently and he is horrible. He was the ref in today's game that missed the ND hold on the inbound violation.
    Yeah, that was egregious. The color announcer was pretty frank on the refereeing, but I bet she would say even more in private. Cal did well, very proud of the players, but they had no chance on ND's home court.

That ND player that drew all the fouls is smart. Saw what worked and kept it going.
    Last edited by march2397; 03-21-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: Officiating

Has anyone on this board ever said anything good about officials?
    Access is better than ownership!

59bear, I think we all expect the officiating to be equally good or not so good. When there is a bias and a tilt like yesterday, people will speak up. As I said before Price is a Cal hater. We know it. The conference knows it. It would not surprise me if he put in for yesterday's game (I believe the refs sign up for games they can work) so he could stick it to us on national TV. But now his incompetence was there for all to see.

I thought he just didn't like Boyle, but clearly he seems to hold a grudge against Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepod View Post
    . And the weird part of the whole game was that ND fans would boo whenever a foul was called on them, no matter how egregious even tho they essentially won the game from the FT line.
    That's not weird. That's Oregon Duck Syndrome (ODS).
    Last edited by ohsooso; 03-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfineguy View Post
    59bear, I think we all expect the officiating to be equally good or not so good. When there is a bias and a tilt like yesterday, people will speak up. As I said before Price is a Cal hater. We know it. The conference knows it. It would not surprise me if he put in for yesterday's game (I believe the refs sign up for games they can work) so he could stick it to us on national TV. But now his incompetence was there for all to see.
    Price also called the Cal-Iowa game. Being that he must be a West Coast guy, perhaps he gets more of the Cal games. I can't attest to him being biased, but I do hold the opinion that he is boarder line incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by GldnBear71 View Post
    is very skilled at drawing fouls, some legit and some not. We should study how she does it.

Notre Dame took the ball inside much more often than we did. That will help explain the discrepancy in fouls.

Notre Dame's senior forward, Dev Peters, is very good at sliding past block-out attempts. She killed us on the boards, and we don't usually lose the rebounding battle. I thought her play was the difference in the game.

The turnovers at the start of the second half killed us.

I was impressed by the way our women kept battling until the end of the game. They could have given up, but they didn't.

This was a good game for the Bears. It gives this team a measure of what it takes to go deep into the tourney. I like it that we played as well as we did with no tourney experience and no seniors. Even the game announcers were impressed. We got a lot of good publicity out of this game.

It will be interesting to watch Notre Dame play against Baylor.
    I agree the calls were a little bias, but as stated ND was great @ drawing CONTACT and forcing refs to make calls! Strength of guards was a major factor for ND and i feel CALS guards need to work hard in this area in order to compete against POWER CONF. guards. A good adjustment would've been taking BOYD off pg & putting her on wing, inserting PIERRE @ pg since DIGGINS wasnt having a great game! Small fwd position is a MAJOR WEAKNESS for CAL and need to be addressed ASAP!! Why wouldn't a SHOOTER want to come to CAL with the bigs, and other personal really intrigues me!! A pure shooter can become/look like an ALL-AMERICAN playing along side these other player's!! Overall, GREAT PERFORMANCE by CAL and this game can only help in recruiting!!

Good observations Dena.

I dont know how many times I have to say this but

Sherbet and Lyles were great 3 point shooters in high school. Sherbet shot in the 3 point shooting contest at the McDonalds All Star Game. Lyles was probably the best 3 point shooter in Nortern Cal her senior year. sometimes they have to rush and their shot gets worse. sometimes it is all in their head. sometimes it could be too much working with weights.

So who is the best outside shooter in Northern Cal. Personally, I don't know. I like Natalie Romero and I like her point guard skills but that is because for one game she lit it up. I'll see more this weekend but if you can't play defense then you won't be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    Sherbet and Lyles were great 3 point shooters in high school. Sherbet shot in the 3 point shooting contest at the McDonalds All Star Game. Lyles was probably the best 3 point shooter in Nortern Cal her senior year. sometimes they have to rush and their shot gets worse. sometimes it is all in their head. sometimes it could be too much working with weights.

So who is the best outside shooter in Northern Cal. Personally, I don't know. I like Natalie Romero and I like her point guard skills but that is because for one game she lit it up. I'll see more this weekend but if you can't play defense then you won't be out there.
    There's a BIG DIFFERENCE in HS&COLLEGE shooting.....you have to be able to "create" 3pt shooting in college because of the length&quickness of defense in college. Now, creating offensive schemes, screens to get open looks for your shooters is a matter of play calling/coaching. If you just go up 80(UC DAVIS) they always have shooters because BIG schools tend to pass them up because of STAR RANKINGS!! Coaches have to have a keen eye to recognize how they can use players in situations.....

A change I'd like to see in officiating NCAA Tournament games: Officials should come from conferences other than those of the participating teams. I think familiarity with one team but not the other could lead to unintentional bias.

Another change I'd like to see in officiating all games: Each coach should be given one or two peremptory challenges. That could improve situations where an official really doesn't like a team or a coach or a player. Also a record of frequent peremptory challenges could be used to guide poor officials into other occupations.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    A change I'd like to see in officiating NCAA Tournament games: Officials should come from conferences other than those of the participating teams. I think familiarity with one team but not the other could lead to unintentional bias.

Another change I'd like to see in officiating all games: Each coach should be given one or two peremptory challenges. That could improve situations where an official really doesn't like a team or a coach or a player. Also a record of frequent peremptory challenges could be used to guide poor officials into other occupations.
    Both excellent ideas. Tennis players are allowed to challenge calls, why not BB coaches? (OK, I realize they have those cool little camera thingies.) Nevertheless, basketball reffing as it now stands gives the refs quasi-divine power, and no one is that good. When national sports announcers are audibly angry about more than one call (hell, when Rebkell posters, who don't tend to like west-coast BB that much, are upset), something is not quite right.