Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ahmaad Rorie 2014 Verbal

Quote Originally Posted by FrankCohen View Post
    He verbally committed last night.
    Wow, Any link or publication to substantiate this? The last Cal recruit to verbal this early dare I say was Julian Sensley. Any ideas as to why Rorie committed so early? He must have got tired of Romar sucking up to him everyday...
    Last edited by Civil Bear; 03-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    From looking at the YouTube clip, he would never get that shot off at the D1 level. Interesting that he looks much bigger and athletic in the dunking video. I wounder if they were a year apart?
    LOL...if you read the title of the youtube that show his drives and jumpers it is from the EIGHT GRADE. Not sure when the dunking is. We got a get ;-)

CalSportsDigest (Scout) emailed me this morning that he verballed to us.
    Last edited by Wookids; 03-24-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Add Scout

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    LOL...if you read the title of the youtube that show his drives and jumpers it is from the EIGHT GRADE. Not sure when the dunking is.
    Whew, thank goodness!

FingeroftheBear
    Nice to see Cal recruiting in Washington state.

SacCityBear
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    The WA class of 2014 is loaded. I doubt Romar would take a commitment from this kid right now.
    Because he is in the second tier of players? Because he likes his chances with top Washington talent enough to wait a year to get more film/observation on how he develops before allowing prospects to commit?

Quote Originally Posted by SacCityBear View Post
    Because he is in the second tier of players? Because he likes his chances with top Washington talent enough to wait a year to get more film/observation on how he develops before allowing prospects to commit?
    No. It's too early. 2 years is a long time for HS kids. Romar is in a position to wait. WA and CA are both deep at the PG spot in 2014.

Scout lists him as a 6' 0" shooting guard. Agree with others here that at height Monty is likely projecting him as a pg (or is somehow convinced he'll grow taller).

We have thus far needed size above all else. This does not
    fill the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
    fill the bill.
    <sigh>. Lets look at this in respect to class balance.

2012-2013 PG - Cobbs Jr; Wallance Fr
    2013-2014 PG Cobbs Sr; Wallace SO
    2014-2014 PG; Wallace Jr; Rorie FR

Honestly that is just about PERFECT in respect to balance. Plus 2014 (SMIRK) isn't really over yet so I am sure there will be more to announce.

SacCityBear
    fill the bill.
    Cal's guards aren't currently undersized, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Size above All Else?

fill the bill.
    I would say that our greatest need this year was not size, but a guy who could have regularly broken down a defense off the dribble.

Of course, a team is composed of many elements, and any good team is going to need size.

However, for virtually all teams, having guys who can create off the dribble can compensate for a lot of other weaknesses. And, on the other hand, it takes a whole lot of compensating elements to make up for the absence guys who can create by themselves, when defenses have dug in and taken away options and the 35 second clock is ticking down.

CalReason
    why do kids commit as sophomores? What's the point and how comfortable can you be to get a commitment from a non-local sophomore?

How Comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by CalReason View Post
    [H]ow comfortable can you be to get a commitment from a non-local sophomore?
    Probably more comfortable than not getting the commitment!

Anyway, are college coaches and their staffs ever comfortable? Probably for a few hours after winning the NCAA tourney. After that, the pressure, to plan for next year and the years after that, returns and that is the end of comfortable...

what if it is your "dream school"?

you get the "offer of offers" and commit - why the hell wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CalReason View Post
    why do kids commit as sophomores? What's the point and how comfortable can you be to get a commitment from a non-local sophomore?