Thread: Shane Vereen: No. 1?

Vereen looked good in that one game he was in. Believe he had a TD too.

In his only season as a starter at Cal, in 2010, he carried 231 times for 1,167 yards and 13 touchdowns,
    Wait, so Isi's number as a junior was better than Vereen, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    Brock Mansion

Wildcat

clap clap

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    2010 Vereen 231 carries for 1,167 yards (5.1 ypc) and 13 TDs long of 59
    2011 Sofele 252 carries for 1,382 yards (5.2 ypc) and 10 TDs long of 56

I think the big difference is that we ran Vereen (and Best) up the middle on first down for no gains too often. I compared it to using a Ferrari (Best) or a Corvette (Vereen) as a battering ram. At times we did that too much with Sofele as well--but more than any other year (other than Best in the Nut Bowl) we have adapted to what we have, a not overpowering OL and small fast/quick back(s), and made attacking the edges a staple of our offense.

I agree with Bear Territory that Maynard and the passing game was better than what Vereen had to work with as well (though some of what we have done with Maynard would have been good for Mansion, even Riley as well).
    Last edited by calumnus; 03-25-2012 at 06:07 PM.

fumbles: SV 4, lost 1
    Isi 7, lost 4

SV had more yards from scrimmage and 6 more TD's in one less game.

Quote Originally Posted by Willgonnabaight View Post
    Isi 7, lost 4

That one lost fumble

Quote Originally Posted by Willgonnabaight View Post
    Isi 7, lost 4

More yards from scrimmage in one less game? Vereen averaged 97.2 ypg, Isi averaged 101.7 ypg.

If you count only the gains per game, then you have to also mention that Vereen was thrown for a loss for more yards per game.

The TDs were largely a function of back-ups. Vereen's back-up was Isi. Isi's back-up was CJA. You don't substitute Vereen for Isi at the goal line. However, our coaches eventually figured out that you do substitute Isi for CJ at the goal line (though later they forgot).

Cal, lead by Vereen, had 19 rushing TDs in 2010. Lead by Sofele, Cal had 25 rushing TDs in 2011. I am not saying Sofele is better than Vereen, but he had a more productive year than Vereen did (mostly due to offensive design/the way they were used). We did not utilize Vereen or Best nearly as well as we could have. I do believe that if we had Vereen in 2011 and we utilized him like we did Sofele, he would have done even better than Sofele. Best? Might have been in Heisman contention.

I don't see why he wouldn't be #1.

They let benjarvus go without a hint of a fight.

Vereen only had Ridley and Woodhead as competition. The Pats certainly don't waste their picks and they picked him in the 2nd round.

Vereen can run and catch. He certainly will be used a lot. What held him back on the radar was a minor injury in his 1st year. I suppose that after a year and a half in the organization, he has properly digested the play book and are signs are pointing to a breakout year.

Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    More yards from scrimmage in one less game? Vereen averaged 97.2 ypg, Isi averaged 101.7 ypg.

If you count only the gains per game, then you have to also mention that Vereen was thrown for a loss for more yards per game.

The TDs were largely a function of back-ups. Vereen's back-up was Isi. Isi's back-up was CJA. You don't substitute Vereen for Isi at the goal line. However, our coaches eventually figured out that you do substitute Isi for CJ at the goal line (though later they forgot).

Cal, lead by Vereen, had 19 rushing TDs in 2010. Lead by Sofele, Cal had 25 rushing TDs in 2011. I am not saying Sofele is better than Vereen, but he had a more productive year than Vereen did (mostly due to offensive design/the way they were used). We did not utilize Vereen or Best nearly as well as we could have. I do believe that if we had Vereen in 2011 and we utilized him like we did Sofele, he would have done even better than Sofele. Best? Might have been in Heisman contention.
    more yards from scrimmage meaning SV also had about 200 yards receiving in addition to his rushing yards. So at the end of the day SV had 1,376 yards compared to Isi's 1,355 in one fewer game.

Vereen always appeared to do well in spite of our O-Line. I think he would have done far better after Cheadle figured it out in his last year.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Vereen had to suffer with Marshall as offensive line coach whereas Isi has Coach M. That said, we have been blessed to have the best RB coach in the nation.

Looking forward to watching Vereen next year if he can stay healthy.

Thats awesome, didn't think he can take over as the lead back so soon. Looks like I have another team to follow on Sundays.