Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Selection has started for ESP extras

Seat Selection has started for ESP extras

. Many seats already gone, especially D and DD and other areas on the west side requiring no donation.Maybe Cal is holding them so ESP donors can not select them. Take a look and give us your opinions. The question is are ESP people selecting these seats or is Cal holding them for sponsors etc.

25% of the seats in HH, abovethe tunnel are unavailable, if I counted right.

It's hard to be sure what's happening with D and DD.

More than 1/2 of D is unavailable, and probably upwards of 2/3 of DD is unavailable.

Amazing. And discouraging if I'm reading this correctly. These are seats that should be available to non-donor season ticket holders. I'm wondering what will be available on the West Side.

With regard to seats selected in HH, the "pattern" seems to be too haphazard to be a deliberate withholding by the AD. It seems far more likely that the unavailable seats are the result of actual seat selections.

If last year is any indication buying early will not benefit the fans.

With that said, I don't think anyone knows exactly what the ATO is up to. Although letting everyone at any donation level buy up to 20 tickets should give you some indication of what kind of demand they expect.

Question for David

What do you think about sitting in the first row above the tunnel/Walkway? I think row 27 in HH?

I think that those are good seats.

There are several advantages to those seats: easy access and egress, clear sightlines, and no one in front of you (you might be able to stretch your legs a little more than in other rows).

My only complaint would be that I might want to be a bit higher relative to the field. But that's a personal preference and would probably be overridden by the other significant advantages I cited.

Quote Originally Posted by FiatSlug View Post

My only complaint would be that I might want to be a bit higher relative to the field. But that's a personal preference and would probably be overridden by the other significant advantages I cited.
    Row 27 in the extra leg room donor sections appear to be the same height as row 34 in the old CMS - I say that since row 34 in the other non-donor sections is also the first row above the ADA seating (which are even with the main concourse throughout the stadium) and the number of rows in the non-donor rebuilt sections is the same as before they were rebuilt.

I remember you had a lot of section by section info on the old CMS configuration - do you happen to have the number of seats in a row of section T? Any section would do - I really just want to do a comparison to the new map to see how much wider things are in the old sections - especially since they aren't deeper. Section T has 25 seats in the first row and 28 seats in the last row now.

from the instructions

"The unavailable gray dots include seats that we allocate based on our university, team, department and conference obligations." So maybe the large blocks in D and DD are for team purposes? Families, visitors, university employees, etc (yeah, and the additional Pac12 referee review committee?? I keed ... I keed )? I'd agree that the others in F and HH are possibly ESP'ers buying extras - but think about it - do they also have to kick in an additional seat donation? I'd guess not, so those would be the next best available outside of the ESP spots.

OD, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to figure out how high up I'd want to be. Used to have seats in Row 33, and from what I can gather, there may be a 10 row or so difference in viewing angle - for example, someone in Row 23 now will have the same viewing angle as I had in 33. Make any sense to those of you who have been in there?

ESP people have to make the required donation per seat

So in HH they guy who picked 20 in two adjacent rows, donates an extra $8k to do so. Lets hope they are not going to be empty most of the time and given out to "clients" for 1 game a year when USC is in town.

From what I have heard, pick 10 rows lower than where you were for the same view.The field is being lowered about 6 feet so maybe you can go lower than you think.

By the way, thanks for the DVD.63 was quite a number, wasn't it?

I saw the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by OldenBear View Post
    from the instructions

"The unavailable gray dots include seats that we allocate based on our university, team, department and conference obligations." So maybe the large blocks in D and DD are for team purposes? Families, visitors, university employees, etc (yeah, and the additional Pac12 referee review committee?? I keed ... I keed )? I'd agree that the others in F and HH are possibly ESP'ers buying extras - but think about it - do they also have to kick in an additional seat donation? I'd guess not, so those would be the next best available outside of the ESP spots.

OD, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to figure out how high up I'd want to be. Used to have seats in Row 33, and from what I can gather, there may be a 10 row or so difference in viewing angle - for example, someone in Row 23 now will have the same viewing angle as I had in 33. Make any sense to those of you who have been in there?
    But I'm tremendously skeptical that the sheer numbers are exclusively for the purposes noted in the official language.

What I'm saying is this: something stinks. And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this isn't rank speculation by someone acting as a quasi-ticket agency.

I do know that non-ESP season ticket holders have a limit of 20 season tickets. I don't know if ESP ticket holders have a limit on the number of seats they can buy outside of the ESP section.

And what stinks the most about this is that many previous season ticket holders may be effectively shut out from Cal Memorial on a season ticket basis.

There are 7 designated sections that are for reserved season tickets with no donation. (D, DD, J, JJ, K, Q, and UU)

5 of those sections are on the West Side. (D, DD, J, JJ, and K)

4 of those West Side sections are mostly unavailable this afternoon, essentially a full week before Group 1 begins to choose their seat locations. (D, DD, J, and JJ).

If this information changes, I will update this post. But for now, something does not look right.

An ESP person who owns a ticket agency?

Thats alot of speculation based on last years demand.

But I'm tremendously skeptical that the sheer numbers are exclusively for the purposes noted in the official language.

What I'm saying is this: something stinks. And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this isn't rank speculation by someone acting as a quasi-ticket agency.

And what stinks the most about this is that many previous season ticket holders may be effectively shut out from Cal Memorial on a season ticket basis.
    It's quite strange, but I don't see that season ticketholders will be shut out. It's only ~2k seats, but it will push every non donor that much further away from the center. Or push non-donors to put up some $$ and get better seats (now that would truly be shady if the seats then go unused).

Seems way too organized and complete of a block off to be scalpers - if demand were higher (ie Cal winning more), the ESP system could totally be gamed by someone who buys ESP for the first year, then buys up a ton of prime location no-donation seats, cancels the ESP, then keeps the others.

It would be pretty amazing and bold for someone to snatch up hundereds to thousands of seats at $300 for the season in hopes of re-selling them. Odd year schedules are good (UCLA, Oregon, Furd) but IMO not that good. Then again, next year is also a great home schedule with USC and Ohio State. The problem is that with a couple of bad losses, seats would be really really cheap.

No seats in those sections are up on stubhub... but I did see 10 tickets in section T already up for sale at over $200/ea for the BG, UCLA, Oregon and Nevada opener.

For starters, as of 5:30 PM, 65.1% of Sections D & DD are unavailable; gone. That's 1,522 of 2,338 seats greyed out. Next, Most of what's left in D and DD is in the rows closest to the field. In other words, the lion's share of the most desirable seats in those sections are gone; probably 80% or more.

Another 794 seats are unavailable in Sections J-K (622 alone in J). In combination with what's gone in D & DD, that's ~2,300 seats, gone. When you consider that there are 9,282 seats total in Reserved Non-donor sections, that's 25% gone, unavailable right off the bat. And the vast majority of those unavailable are rows above the ADA decks.

Further, if you go through the "available" sections one at a time, the top 2 rows in each sections are entirely unavailable. They're grey already, even as we type.

What's the explanation, then? And why are the Reserved Season Ticket sections limited to 7 sections with single game sales and group ticket sales designated for 7 other sections (KK, L, LL, M, PP, V, and VV).

People in Groups 2 and 3 are being squeezed (possibly squeezed out) and ESP ticket holders have only started their seat selection TODAY.

There's something very wrong here.

Here is what I think

Those big blocks of unavailable seats in D and DD and being blocked off so ESP ers can not buy them now and screw the average fan who picks next week. I would not be surprised to see these seats available then.But that may be optimistic.

They may want ESP ers to pick seats for which they have to pay a donation per seat but feel there is no advantage in allowing them to pick non donor seats which will **** off the base for years to come long after some ESP ers jump ship.

Colorado bear

Have you ever sat in that first row above the handicapped in the old memorial? It would seem if you had seats close to the aisle, the stair case might be a potential area of blockage, especially since the railings on the stair case seem to be higher than those that will go down the center of the aisles. Hard to know without being there. Center of the row might be good in that row . What do you think?

There's something very wrong here.
    I believe Cal maxed out at 46k season ticket holders which included students. 15k seats might be reserved for the furd as a trade for 15k for Cal seats in Stanford Stadium (likely less... maybe 10k reserved for furd). Still that adds to at most 61k. So no one is getting shut out.

I do think we'll have to see what is available when the Group 1 starts buying. There are some decent sized chunks taken out of the donor sections, especially in I and II. Given that these are the only expanded seats for non-ESPers, I do think there's a pretty good chance they sell out (though the 1200/seat is still quite a stretch).

Could another possibility be that the AD is holding the good seats in those non-donation sections for non-ESPers.