Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday practice quotes

Tuesday practice quotes

Jeff Tedford

About how the team looked:
    "They looked fine. We have a long way to go, so I expect we're going to continue to get better. We'll be in pads on Thursday...but we shook some of the rust off yesterday in the weight room. As far as conditioning, they did a nice job during the week off of staying in shape so we didn't have to start from square one."

Who's looked good so far:
    "I'm really pleased with the d-line. Richard Rodgers is doing well at tight end as are some of the young linebackers. Jason Gibson had a good day today, so there's quite a few guys. Avery Sebastian is finally healthy, he's been hampered with a hamstring, but he's moving along well and making plays so that's nice to see."

On Maurice Harris:
    "Harris probably has the best hands on the team. His thing right now is experience. He's got a good body, good frame, good range, now it's about trying to get experience."

On Zach Kline:
    "I'm really impressed with him. He's got a good sense of humor, he's a really good leader. For a young guy to jump in the huddle and have a presence about him, you can tell he carries a lot of confidence. Anytime there's a new guy like that they catch a little bit of flack here and there but he takes it really well. He's a student of the game, he's bright and he really works at it. He's very calms and he's very respectful of the investment the older guys have made. He understands he has a long way to go. He's going to be a great player before it's all said and done."

On Kline picking up the offense:
    "(He's picked it up) as quick as anyone (has) as a freshman at this point through spring ba. He's picked it up well and he's just going to continue to grow because he's a student of the game and he works hard at it."

On Allan Bridgford:
    "He's had a couple of first team reps. He's very consistent, very knowledgable with what's going on. He's healthy, he's throwing the ball very accurately, he's very smart, he understands what we're doing, and we're really comfortable with him on the field for us."

On Zach Maynard:
    "It's night and day (with him) from last spring. Last spring he was scratching his head about what was going to happen. It was a new (for him), it was a brand new offense. Now he has great controll of what's going on, he's got great command, great presence, great composure and you can tell he has a year of experience under his belt....He's focused at practice. The confidence comes with the rest of his teammates and paying a lot of attention to them. This time last year, he was worried about himself, doing the right things, saying the snap count right, (and keeping track of) the 25-second clock. Now he's a real field general and he relates well with the rest of the team."

Running it through the decoder ring: While Tedford's comments about Kline were more voluminous than his comments about Maynard or Bridgford, he's because he was asked considerably more questions about Kline. That being said, while Tedford can be guarded with his comments about incoming freshmen, he's probably been as effusive about Kline as he has about any new arrival that he's had. The only other people I can instantly recall him being this enthusiastic about this early were Marshawn Lynch and Desean Jackson - who were both freaks of nature whose talent was readily apparent the moment they stepped on the field. It's also apparent from Tedford's comments that Maynard's entrenched as the starting quarterback.

Zach Maynard

On working with a new group of receivers, with Keenan Allen sitting out spring practice and Marvin Jones finishing up last fall.
    "It's a totally new group. There are a lot of young guys. We have to stay on them with the plys, the formations, and protections. It's just not the routes. They have to learn and work at a fast rate."

On going through the spring without Allen.
    "It's good if it gives the younger guys a chance to showcase their talents. We're going to need them next year so it's good that they're getting the reps now going into summer. Keenan's getting a chance to let his body recover. It would be good to have him out there as far a leadership and the defense getting good looks, but the young guys have to step up....For me it's a lot easier to throw to (Allen) becuseof the type of athlete that he is, but I mean my other guys...Maurice (Harris) is doing a great job, (Jackson) Bouza's doing a great job, all of them aere stepping up. Richard Rodgers is doing a great job as a tight end."

On what he's worked on since last fall.
    "The mental game. Dissecting the offense, dissecting the defense and going against teams (while) taking film into consideration. Every week, I'm trying to (improve my) knowledge of the game and making it easier for myself."

Running it through the decoder ring: With most things, the more work you put in, the better you get, and as Maynard begins his second lap as a starting quarterback, he should be more comfortable as his knowledge base and his experience become broader and he's less likely to encounter things for the first time - although many onlookers will reserve judgment until the first time he has to face a tough opponent. With him having missed a couple of sessions due to academics, he was asked how that end of things were going, and he said they were going all right.
    "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Thanks Inkbowl!

Very insightful and I appreciate your efforts at decoding!

I took this as the most interesting item from your post:

"That being said, while Tedford can be guarded with his comments about incoming freshmen, he's probably been as effusive about Kline as he has about any new arrival that he's had. The only other people I can instantly recall him being this enthusiastic about this early were Marshawn Lynch and Desean Jackson - who were both freaks of nature whose talent was readily apparent the moment they stepped on the field."

We are very early into the season but I have high hopes for this team. Unfortunately, as a former sunshine pumper I no longer harbor any illusions about where we are projected to be or even how our recruiting will pan out until everything is said and done after the first game and LOI day. I'm a realist now. I hope we rise to the occasion. We have the 31st toughest schedule in the nation this year-3rd in the PAC:

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/Mar12/DBMar30.html

In case JT or the Administration are reading:
    I hope we identify our strengths and go with them while developing back up plans to these players. I hope we have a productive off-season and a more productive season. In short, I hope many things change. I'm not a big time ESP donor nor do I have my name on buildings around campus but what I do give goes to Cal football and athletics and it comes at personal expense. God bless our major donors and ESP members! I'm not expecting a Rose Bowl berth but it would be great if I could turn on the t.v. once in awhile and see that my and many others' hard-earned goes to a epic struggle on the field. That's all I hope to see this year-real hard fought battles.

Sincerely,

flukes
    <$130,000 per year alums

GO BEARS!
    70 Nobel Prizes, 9 Wolf Prizes, 7 Fields Medals, 15 Turing Awards, 45 MacArthur Fellowships, 20 Academy Awards and 11 Pulitzers. 16 chemical elements discovered-more than any other university in the world. 87 national titles in 15 sports including football, basketball, baseball, softball, crew, tennis, swimming, water polo, track and rugby. 274 individual national champions and 176 Olympic medals. Thereís only one Cal and itís in Berkeley.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Wait, you make $129K? That's pretty good, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Wait, you make $129K? That's pretty good, yo.
    I pulled that out of my *ss based on BI memory from some thread out of my drunk brain. My History major BA from Cal is worth less than that these days but close...you went to Cal when I did KAB...you remember Treggs, Dawkins, Pawlawski and White. You remember the Citrus Bowl win....

Schwenke at Center

Ink, in the clip we saw JT said Schwenke had been playing center. Is this a permanent move?

Jason Gibson coming on sure is good news. I had read here, I think, that he was being tried on the inside. It would be big news to have someone emerge there!!!

I'm interested to hear who specifically on the D-Line is playing well.

Real Bear
    Any word on how Bigelow looks? If he regains his explosiveness and confidence it would be great to use him in the same way Oregon used D. Thomas last year.

Schwenke's been playing first team center because Galas is out. The assumption is that when he's ready to return that Galas will be back at center.

Quote Originally Posted by liverflukes View Post
    We are very early into the season but I have high hopes for this team. Unfortunately, as a former sunshine pumper I no longer harbor any illusions about where we are projected to be or even how our recruiting will pan out until everything is said and done after the first game and LOI day. I'm a realist now. I hope we rise to the occasion. We have the 31st toughest schedule in the nation this year-3rd in the PAC:

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/Mar12/DBMar30.html
    Interesting stat on the scheduling toughness. If I'm reading Phil Steele correctly though, I think he's saying that this is how the NCAA ranks schedule toughness which is severely flawed (namely in that it would treat playing an 11-1 FCS team as significantly tougher than an 8-4 team from the SEC). I actually think our schedule is much tougher than 31st, particularly when you take into account the back to back games road games at Ohio State and USC and the lack of a bye. Pac 12 did us no favors this year for sure.

I was excited until I realized they were mostly qoutes from JT. I dont trust his coachspeak

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tydog View Post
    Any word on how Bigelow looks? If he regains his explosiveness and confidence it would be great to use him in the same way Oregon used D. Thomas last year.
    If we use Bigelow the way Oregon used DeAnthony Thomas last year would be a first for us. $C did this early on with Reggie Bush putting him in the slot and being creative.

We've had combinations of JJ Arrington, O'Keith, Marshawn, Forsett, Best, Vereen, etc. where couldn't get but one of these guys on the field at one time (we've had as many as 3 of these explosive guys on the roster in one season). For the life of me (and I know @calumnus is big on this) I don't know why we couldn't get Best and Vereen on the field together when they were here. Best or Vereen in the slot while you have the other in the backfield -- matchup nightmares anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tydog View Post
    There is an article on another Cal site about him. Sounds like he is both mentally and physically healed and he feels stronger than ever...and is ready to prove to everyone that he is the real deal......I think Ron Gould concurs. Between him, Lasco, CJA and Isi, we're gonna have a very explosive backfield, especially if our OL improves.

Per a player I spoke to Bigs is now 90% and faaaaast.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    If we use Bigelow the way Oregon used DeAnthony Thomas last year would be a first for us. $C did this early on with Reggie Bush putting him in the slot and being creative.

We've had combinations of JJ Arrington, O'Keith, Marshawn, Forsett, Best, Vereen, etc. where couldn't get but one of these guys on the field at one time (we've had as many as 3 of these explosive guys on the roster in one season). For the life of me (and I know @calumnus is big on this) I don't know why we couldn't get Best and Vereen on the field together when they were here. Best or Vereen in the slot while you have the other in the backfield -- matchup nightmares anyone?
    didn't we line up Marshawn at wr a decent amount early in his career, especially when he was a freshman? I remember a lot of wr screens and occasional deep balls. Later in Marshawn's career we had 3 really good receivers so there was less need for this kind of thing.

Isi started off as a slot receiver.

Best couldn't stay healthy anyway so I'm not sure trying to have him out there more would've been a great idea. If you remove the health thing, 2008 was the prime year to use the backs creatively in the passing game as they were our leading receivers anyway due to a lack of good wr options.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by boredom View Post
    didn't we line up Marshawn at wr a decent amount early in his career, especially when he was a freshman? I remember a lot of wr screens and occasional deep balls. Later in Marshawn's career we had 3 really good receivers so there was less need for this kind of thing.

Isi started off as a slot receiver.

Best couldn't stay healthy anyway so I'm not sure trying to have him out there more would've been a great idea. If you remove the health thing, 2008 was the prime year to use the backs creatively in the passing game as they were our leading receivers anyway due to a lack of good wr options.
    I don't think we lined Marshawn up at WR exactly, he was in as the running back and then we would sometimes split him out. When we lost our WRs to injury in 2004, I remember thinking we should put Marshawn and JJ on the field together--like SC did, and was disappointed we didn't.

2008 and 2009 with Best and Vereen and slow receivers that had the dropsies (until we finally figured out that Marvin Jones was a good receiver) would have been a great time to play them both and use one more as a slot receiver. As it was when we threw to them we relied on screens too much instead of the wheel routes that always seemed to go for a TD and then get filed away in the play book--instead of dialed up repeatedly until the defense stops it--like our opponents seem to do to us.