Thread: Utah sets a new low

Utah sets a new low

I'm surprised Krystkowiak (and not USC) brought a new low to college basketball recruiting. Wow, things have changed, and not for the better in my opinion....

Utah head basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak has asked signee Josh Hearlihy (North Hollywood, Calif./Harvard-Westlake) to opt out of his scholarship and look elsewhere, according to the L.A. Times.

"I was very excited about going to Utah when I signed my Letter of Intent in November," Hearlihy said in a statement released by Harvard-Westlake. "However, the coaching staff has reconsidered their commitment to me and has asked to be released from their obligation. I turned down scholarship offers and stopped exploring other options when I signed."
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

All the information isn't out yet but I wonder if they expected one of their two guys returning from mission not to come back. Otherwise it is a huge black eye on the program - and given the kids mom is a coach one that is likely to elevate quickly in terms of long term damage.

Re: Job retention

Clearly, he has to turn his program around in a hurry or he'll be collecting unemployment. Desperation often trumps integrity.
    Access is better than ownership!

FingeroftheBear
    There should be some kind of legal and/or monetary recourse for this kind of reneging because the kid is out of options once he's off the market. The institution in this case holds the power. Of course I'm sure there's a legal explanation why he can't sue.

The kid should look at the "opportunity" presented...and find a better institution to obtain a degree from...

If he opts out, it's his choice to do so. He doesn't have to do what they want him to do. If the coaching staff treats him poorly from here on out and force him out that way after asking him to opt out, then he SHOULD have some recourse, but under what legal precedent?
    go bears

What is the deal up in slc? Four Players already transferred out this year right? Not only are they horrible already but this is a dirty move that could hurt recruiting for years. Coach says they didn't know the extent of his injuries. Classy thing to do would be to give him a shot for a year, then if he's not recovered, offer him the choice to get the medical retirement scholarship or transfer elsewhere. Now they put a red flag on him and it's too late for other opportunities this year.

SacCityBear
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    What is the deal up in slc? Four Players already transferred out this year right? Not only are they horrible already but this is a dirty move that could hurt recruiting for years. Coach says they didn't know the extent of his injuries. Classy thing to do would be to give him a shot for a year, then if he's not recovered, offer him the choice to get the medical retirement scholarship or transfer elsewhere. Now they put a red flag on him and it's too late for other opportunities this year.
    If he lied to hide a broken back as I've read, then I'm not sure he really deserves sympathy. Rewarding deceit about an injury sustained in high school with a full ride through college is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by SacCityBear View Post
    If he lied to hide a broken back as I've read, then I'm not sure he really deserves sympathy.
    That's a completely different story. If true, I wonder how much a future team can check for these things via mandatory physicals or similar.

Of course it's not like coaches haven't lied to players before, and players are usually still bound by their LOI.