Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CAL vs Ohio State...

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedTheAxeIn82 View Post
    For those who may not get the reference, here ya go:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQd24fq8hBE#t=28s

watching those highlights and remember the baylor game, it is amazing how many more risks tedford was willing to take in his first season as coach then now.

Quote Originally Posted by C6Bear View Post
    If they are smart, they will do exactly what Texas did and blitz from the offensive left side constantly to stop Maynard's rollouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    What are realistic counters to this?
    If do right, no can defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Nasal Mucus Goldenbear View Post
    What's preventing every team we face from employing this strategy?

When was the last time Cal beat a team they weren't supposed to beat? A win in Columbus would definitely get me on the bandwagon again.

I have no recollection of us "beating" USC that same year despite them outscoring us 35 to 10, but there it is. Oh SNAP!

Miller is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better runner. The good news is that he's even less accurate than Maynard. They have lots of issues at WR, and lots of great horses to carry the ball (esp. Miller), so they are going to try to ram it down our throats. Didn't they win a Big 11 game last year only completing one pass?

Meyer will have an interesting situation on offense. He's installing the hurry up this year, but their team is not really built for that (yet). To stop them, we need to contain Miller and somehow defend their really good TEs.

On defense, they are ridiculously good. We will have at least one pick, as per usual. It will be difficult to run the ball since they will stack the box daring us to throw. If we can avoid the big turnover, we can stay in the game.
    go bears

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBear21 View Post
    watching those highlights and remember the baylor game, it is amazing how many more risks tedford was willing to take in his first season as coach then now.
    It's interesting how he's evolved as a coach. I haven't seen to many video clips of Tedford pre-game or post game talking with the players in a few years. From my observation, he looks really loose, interactive, and upbeat in the few clips I've seen of him earlier in his career.

I don't know if that was any indicator as to the type of games he called compared to now. But it's interesting to note, he accomplished much more in terms of beating better teams with lesser talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Miller is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better runner. The good news is that he's even less accurate than Maynard. They have lots of issues at WR, and lots of great horses to carry the ball (esp. Miller), so they are going to try to ram it down our throats. Didn't they win a Big 11 game last year only completing one pass?

Meyer will have an interesting situation on offense. He's installing the hurry up this year, but their team is not really built for that (yet). To stop them, we need to contain Miller and somehow defend their really good TEs.

On defense, they are ridiculously good. We will have at least one pick, as per usual. It will be difficult to run the ball since they will stack the box daring us to throw. If we can avoid the big turnover, we can stay in the game.
    I would kill for only throwing one pick

Wow, Tedford had a FIRE in his eyes and a smirk on gis face back then

It's interesting how people are extremely optimistic of us beating Ohio State; saying they are overrated. Miller might "suck" but did you watch the Holiday Bowl? Our quarterback is not any better at all.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    In 2005, actually we were 5-0 with Joe at the helm (well he was only at the helm for Sack Longshore State after Nate went down but he went 0-9 to start). He had a wonderful game @ UW. Then I remember him playing pretty well in some games including the shutout against AZ. He lost it I think after the UCLA game. A game where he played pretty well and we had like a 14 point lead late in the 3rd quarter. I don't think it was his fault we lost. I mean he put up 40 points. We should have been 6-0. MJD went off on us. And remember they did a fake punt. Alomar.

Then I remember Joe having a terrible performance but we only lost by 3 to Oregon State at home. Some redneck lady was caught yelling at Joe that he sucked as he went into the locker room after the game. Remember that?

We had a nice comeback game against Wazzu. There was a kind of unknown WR that had a coming out party for us on slants.

Then we lost in OT to Oregon @ Eugene 27-20 when Joe couldn't hit the side of a barn in the 2nd half.

The $C game was the only true blowout loss for us that year. That was the "enough is enough" game and Levy came in for like a quarter and played pretty well.

After what's happened to us the last three years, those losses besides $C don't look all that bad!
    Last edited by KoreAmBear; 04-12-2012 at 11:52 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar

Good times. Had the privilege of going to the game. The weather was awesome. The fans were great -- courteous and a couple even congratulated me in their frustration. Also that day Ty Willingham was riding high as they beat Michigan in Ann Arbor. I remember because as we rolled out of Detroit we could see ND and Michigan flags everywhere. Big-10 country. I still can't believe Tedford is 6-0 v. the Big Ten.
    Last edited by KoreAmBear; 04-13-2012 at 12:11 AM.

I forgot about our last bowl game, jeez that texas game was so painful to watch since i wanted to win so badly. is there any reason for me to think anything significant has changed between that game and our future game against ohio st? 9 months to come up with a flea flicker or wr double reverse for a 2 yard gain in the first quarter? bad, negabear, bad!

Quote Originally Posted by EchoOfSilence View Post
    Wow, Tedford had a FIRE in his eyes and a smirk on his face back then
    The FIRE is gone.

Nowadays, he sermonizes about "Healthy Rivalries." Spends his time and energy maintaining at all costs the Classy Guy Jeff image to the extreme point of being a hopeless bore (during and outside of games) and transforming his once blue collar team into the biggest softies of college football.

Where's the FIRE, the SWAG, the KILLER INSTINCT? Shhhhhh, pipe down, that's not "classy," it's not "healthy."

Odds

Given that Urban Meyer is only in his first year there, and we have a fearsome defense, AND I'm an optimist, I give us a 1 in 10 chance of winning the game.