Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just made Sports Illustrated, thanks to the Freedom of Information Act

I just made Sports Illustrated, thanks to the Freedom of Information Act

Andy Staples column today on SI.com.

Quote Originally Posted by AOPiBear04 View Post
    ...why were you working at Stanfurd?!?!?!

Ha! I just read that article.

Let me guess, you're Christianne!
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...nts/index.html

This one's interesting, too.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a0

Speaking of the Freedom of Information Act, here's a great article on what big-time coaches (Tedford) could learn from this case.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...es-for-coaches

Such as:

Rule No. 2: The Freedom of Information Act is alive and well and is going to get a helluva workout in the future.

Gone are the days when a coach could make a phone call or two and have his indiscretions or those of his players covered up by the local authorities. Bobby Petrino thought at the end of the day his state trooper buddy could get the more sordid details of the motorcycle accident swept under the rug.

But there was a 911 call (not by him), and those are a matter of public record. And when there is a 911 call about an accident, there is going to be an accident report, which is a matter of public record. And if anybody flat out lies on an accident report, including head football coaches, they are probably going to jail.

Why did Bobby Petrino finally fess up to his athletics director that he wasn't on that motorcycle alone? Because Petrino learned the accident report was going to be released to the public, as is required by law. Petrino called Jeff Long 22 minutes before the accident report went public.

Why did Arkansas call a press conference Tuesday night to fire Petrino and get all the facts on the table? Because on Wednesday there was going to be a document dump of all of Petrino's cell phone records to the Arkansas media outlets that had demanded them under the FOIA.

Moving forward, coaches need to know that every cell phone call, every text message, every email, every scrap of paper that they touch as an employee of a public institution will be subject to examination. If there are financial irregularities -- like a $20,000 payment to your mistress -- they will learn how forensic accountants can find just about anything they've tried to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by pingpong2 View Post
    ...why were you working at Stanfurd?!?!?!
    I knew that was going to come up. I interviewed with Cal and they said they didn't have enough work for me. Stanford said yes.

I don't get what the big deal is. Among the requirements for the position was sleeping with the boss at the time of application. Most applicants -- like, all but one -- simply didn't have the qualifications. It happens.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    I knew that was going to come up. I interviewed with Cal and they said they didn't have enough work for me. Stanford said yes.
    I know a lot of my traitor Cal friends who work for the Furd administration now because of the free tuition program for their children. Dern but understandable.

no bear
    AOPi, if I recall correctly you applied for the job as well. FOIA requests are great ways to expose public policy nightmares which are usually swept under the rug.

I do also agree that Petrino's hiring of Dorrell will set back women who hope to break into traditionally male-dominated sports fields.

This **** has been going on for decades in all sorts of emplyment opportunities, and the flip side of it hurts male applicants as well.

You may count yourself lucky not getting the job as this guy might have been your new boss.

Photos last forever, and Petrino may never live this one down.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar

My name is Bobby Petrino . . . and I'm definitely NOT comfortable in my own skin.
    Last edited by KoreAmBear; 04-13-2012 at 06:28 PM.

I'm curious. Anybody know the salary paid for that job?

Quote Originally Posted by calBlitz View Post
    I'm curious. Anybody know the salary paid for that job?
    From one of the SI articles I linked to above:

Despite being the only candidate with no experience in football, Dorrell's "interview feedback" notes identify her as having "the most overall experience of building relationships that the football program is looking for." The following day, Dorrell received -- and signed -- an offer letter from Long listing a salary of $55,735, as well as four complimentary tickets to home football games and two complimentary tickets to home games in every other sport.

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post

One of these things is not like the others!

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by CALigulabob View Post
    One of these things is not like the others!
    Nice one.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quick, someone request Chip Kelly's records.