Thread: OT: Cal invented the internet!

OT: Cal invented the internet!

...thanks to Berkeley for the role that it has played in a spectrum of fields from mathematics to technology, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt M.S. ’79, Ph.D. ’82 accepted his award as Cal Alumnus of the Year at the recent Charter Gala ceremony.

In his acceptance speech, Schmidt described meeting his wife at International House, the food on the Northside at 4 a.m., developing the architecture of the Internet, and the importance for fighting for higher education.

“From my perspective, the story of Berkeley is about entrepreneurship, it’s about innovation, it’s about free speech, it’s about having fun, it’s about, in my case, being lucky,” Schmidt told his audience. “When you think about the Internet, think about Berkeley — a lot of this was invented there..."
    ‘I don’t need easy, I need possible.’ Jorge Gutierrez

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar

Sure Cal played a role

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    ...thanks to Berkeley for the role that it has played in a spectrum of fields from mathematics to technology, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt M.S. ’79, Ph.D. ’82 accepted his award as Cal Alumnus of the Year at the recent Charter Gala ceremony.

In his acceptance speech, Schmidt described meeting his wife at International House, the food on the Northside at 4 a.m., developing the architecture of the Internet, and the importance for fighting for higher education.

“From my perspective, the story of Berkeley is about entrepreneurship, it’s about innovation, it’s about free speech, it’s about having fun, it’s about, in my case, being lucky,” Schmidt told his audience. “When you think about the Internet, think about Berkeley — a lot of this was invented there..."

However, I still think more about Stanford and UCLA when I think of Internet pioneering for some reason.

Interestingly, UCSB and University of Utah were the other two of the first four pioneering nodes.