Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Most odious/favorite Stanford & Cal alumni or attendees

Hybrid View

OT: Most odious/favorite Stanford & Cal alumni or attendees

My most odious from the farm:

1. Eldrick Woods: The ultimate con man. Selling an image opposite of the truth. Wish the word "dropout" were more prominently mentioned in his byline.

2. Gretchen Carlson: defines what a goody two-shoes Stanford student is. Literally makes me sick.

Favorite Stanford alum (by a mile): Rachel Maddow -- so smart, I only wish she had gone to Cal instead.

Most odious Cal alum: Greg Gutfeld -- what an embarrassment. Thankfully, he rarely mentions his alma mater.

Favorite Cal alum: I'm going with Steve Wozniak for now. Love how he went back for his degree out of sheer pride.

Please add to/modify the list as desired. Go Bears!

no bear
    I think Hoover was the worst President in US history. He was also stanfurd's "first student" ever, so I think that makes him the most odious.

Quote Originally Posted by OsoDorado View Post
    My most odious from the farm:

1. Eldrick Woods: The ultimate con man. Selling an image opposite of the truth. Wish the word "dropout" were more prominently mentioned in his byline.

2. Gretchen Carlson: defines what a goody two-shoes Stanford student is. Literally makes me sick.

Favorite Stanford alum (by a mile): Rachel Maddow -- so smart, I only wish she had gone to Cal instead.

Most odious Cal alum: Greg Gutfeld -- what an embarrassment. Thankfully, he rarely mentions his alma mater.

Favorite Cal alum: I'm going with Steve Wozniak for now. Love how he went back for his degree out of sheer pride.

Please add to/modify the list as desired. Go Bears!

I nominate Gary Tyrrell!

Maddow makes me want to P-U-K-E!!!

She's a smug, disgusting, truth-bendin' bitch that can read a script out of the side of her mouth. That's it.

Aaron Rodgers is by far my favorite of all the Bears!!!

Most odius Furd - Eldrick's up there, as is Horseface Elway. Gretchen Carlson? She's a smug, disgusting, truth-bendin' bitch that can read a script out of the side of her mouth. Condi. Maybe a million more

Favorite Furd - I'll second Gary T. Or maybe Sigourney Weaver. Or Roger Corman.

Most odius Bear - maybe William Hung?

Favorite Bear(s) - Woz, Rube Goldbery, Jay Ward, Jerry Mathers, Gregory Peck, Earl Warren, Jimmy Doolittle, Joe Igber, Aaron Rodgers, ...... jeez, too many to list.

Yeahbut, Mike, ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeman View Post
    I nominate Gary Tyrrell!
    .. GT did a favor to your family once upon a time, for PrincessBooBoo, right? Gary has been gracious to me too, so I know you intended nominating him on the plus side of the ledger.

Balancing, here's my absolute least fave farmite: Darth Vader-ette Connie Rice, who at one time was the student provost down south iirc.

Many times she's been highlighted in roving TV crowd shots at basketball, and each time I've virtually thrown up in my mouth. She's usually accompanied by a heavyset blond 'lady', who I've imagined is secret service protection, packing more than just the extra weight.

Gotta run Mike, feel a sudden urge to brush my teeth again.

Formerly CJay
    Last edited by SiniCal; 04-14-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    deport terrorist threat Jesus, homeland security confirmed illegal alien.

Princess BooBoo? wow, thought I was stepping into a time machine for a moment...when I stop being so lazy I'll send you a PM

She's usually accompanied by a heavyset blond 'lady', who I've imagined is secret service protection, packing more than just the extra weight.

Has to be her "partner"

Nttawwt (ot++)

Quote Originally Posted by GoBears58 View Post
    Has to be her "partner"
    And most esp Not That There's Anything Wrong With That (partner-wise), compared to <political screed goes here, whining about bankrupting America for the 2004 re-election campaign-motivated Iraq invasion, sold by senior security leaders, lying thru their Stanf*rd straightened teeth, forked tongues crossed.>

#I've said too much, haven't said enough.
    Last edited by SiniCal; 04-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Chelsea Drugstore, standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
    Favorite Furd attendee is the late actor Richard Boone of Have Gun Will Travel fame (his two best movies are Hombre with Paul Newman and Big Jake with John Wayne). He is one of the few guys with a nut sack that ever attended that putrid institution (which goes a long way to explaining why they expelled him). Best line from Hombre: "Mr., I wonder what Hell is gonna look like?"

Last edited by bearister; 04-15-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Stanford Best: Ken Kesey, Hewlett and Packard
    Most odious: Maddow (too smug by half). Tiger. Condi

Cal best: Joan Didion, Pauline Kael, Bob McNamara
    Most odious: Alice Waters, Bob McNamara

Yeahbut GB54, you've got Bob McNamara twice? Presuming it's not a typo (stuff happens) please 'splain why?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I'll play

A preliminary comment about McNamera. He had a split personality (maybe a better way of saying this is he was a polarizing figure), and historians remember him quite differently. Compare Arthur Schlesinger vs. David Halberstam. Depending on which version of McNamera you take, he was great or awful.

Favorite Furds: my wife (no brainer). On the sports side, Tara (technically, she is not an alum and she gives a lousy interview, but in person she is a very classy and caring individual, who tries to do the right thing and sell the women's game), John Lynch, Tom Watson and Kerri Welsh, all of whom are more than just athletes. Outside sports: Anthony Kennedy (gentlemen in all senses of the word, intellect and scholar), and Ted Koppel. Alfred Eggers had more influence on our life than anyone knows. Charles Richter (earthquakes matter), Roger Corman made some great (and not so great) movies, and Angel investor David Siminoff (the "smoking man" for you venture capital types) and Sandy Tatum because I am a golfer. Jennifer Connelly is an excellent actress and not bad on the eyes. Hal Roach was smart enough to marry a famous Cal girl (and he has made some good movies).

Mixed feelings: Phil Knight.

Odious: On a personal level I know several bombastic Furds (thought I could say the same thing re: some Cal alums). I always thought Leigh Torrance was a dirty player. Ivan Maisel is clueless. The public figures who annoy me are are Rachael Meadow (honestly, I don't like anyone on MSNBC or Fox much - I have not seen Carlson is action to have an opinion), Robbie Canal,

an impressive guy from both schools: Charles Simonyi, who developed and holds patents on Word, Excel, Multiplan, virtual machine programming for MS-DOS, Bravo, etc., He also dated Martha Stewart for 15 years (must be the Furd influence), and helps Bill Gates give away money.

Cal:

Favorites: Rube Goldberg, all those Nobel prize winners, Gordon Moore, Woz, Julia Morgan, Earl Warren and Rodger Traynor (lawyer in me), Kevin Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, Natalie Coughlin, Deltha O'Neill, Chuck Muncie, Jack Clark, Joe Roth, and Ray Kinsella (couldn't resist to see all the guy's eyes tear-up). Monty is not an alum, but I really respect the guy. Same with some faculty members. I also respect Terry McKeever a lot, though she went to that school in south central.

Odious: several non-fact checking reporters at the Chron (they may now be unemployed hopefully). You know who you are. I thought Harbaugh was a jerk, but I respect his coaching abilities. Going back in time, John McEnroe was an arrogant jerk, but I started liking him later in life. Just don't bring his name up with Mrs. Furd.

Hal Roach?

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Hal Roach was smart enough to marry a famous Cal girl (and he has made some good movies).
    Are you sure about Hal Roach? He's a freaking genius, greatest movie comedy producer of all time. But a Stanford alum?

So McEnroe is still an asshat on the court. What a putz. My reaction to that guy whining was STFU and play, or someone kick him in the nuts.

Seriously I've seen that move during pick-up hoops. One dude does some jawing and another dude drills a two-handed chest pass into his nut sack. Always hilarious and then there's the after toss fight.

Would pay real money to see someone wind up on a ground stroke and nail Mc in the nuts.