Thread: Does anyone know why a Clear Creek (filtration) System ...

Does anyone know why a Clear Creek (filtration) System ...

Being set up on the north corner of the playing field at Memorial. If it stays, the field will be only 70 yards long.

Huh? What? Are you seeing this on the webcam, or in person? Only thing I can think of is some kind of temporary/rental water filtration thing. Maybe they have to filter water to do, you know, whatever they're about start? Clean the outside of the stadium, maybe ......

After reading the subject line I was wondering what this had to do with football.

Why are you the sales rep or in-house engineering consult?

Live, in person. There is a 8 to 12 inch plastic pipe sticking out of a 12 foot diameter gravel bed in a 6 foot deep pit. Four large temporary reservoir trailers are being plumbed. I wonder if they are mitigating expected runoff from the upcoming excavation of the old playing surface / drainage system.

Yes, we will have a 70 yard field

So Giorgio can reach the EZ on his kickoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobodeluxe View Post
    Live, in person. There is a 8 to 12 inch plastic pipe sticking out of a 12 foot diameter gravel bed in a 6 foot deep pit. Four large temporary reservoir trailers are being plumbed. I wonder if they are mitigating expected runoff from the upcoming excavation of the old playing surface / drainage system.
    I think it must have something to do with that. Starwberrry Creek runs under the stadium and they are lowering/lowered the playing surface and doing other work. It has been raining and maybe "stuff" (paint, chemicals, just mud etc?) can runoff and would otherwise end up in the creek and in the Bay without some kind of filtration being done to the water first. North end is the downstream side so it makes sense to collect the water there.

Did you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobodeluxe View Post
    Being set up on the north corner of the playing field at Memorial. If it stays, the field will be only 70 yards long.
    that a culvert runs under the stadium? This culvert, known as Little Inch culvert, drains Strawberry Creek from above Haas Recreation Area.

Let me back up. Before Cal Memorial Stadium was built, Strawberry Creek flowed through the meadow-like area that we now know as Haas Recreation Area and Witter Field. When it got to the area of the stadium rim around Section P, it became a waterfall. When Strawberry Creek waters reached the bottom of the waterfall, they turned northwesterly and meandered through the field area and then into the area we know as Maxwell Family Field (aka Kleeburger Field)

When the stadium was built, Strawberry Creek was actually put into two culverts: Big Inch Culvert and Little Inch Culvert. Big Inch Culvert actually skirts the East Rim of the stadium and then drops down the hillside above Maxwell Family Field. Little Inch runs underneath the stadium field and joins up with Big Inch just north of Maxwell Family Field. The culvert ends and dumps the waters of Strawberry Creek into the streambed in the vicinity of the Women's Faculty Club.

In 1995 when the stadium field was converted from AstroTurf to natural grass, Little Inch culvert was exposed and repositioned at a lower depth: the field not only lost its crown (which was a difference of about 8 inches from the middle of the field to the sidelines), but it was also lowered two feet and made flat after installation of a new drainage and irrigation system.

Based on what you've posted, it seems very likely that this system is being put temporarily in place to ensure the continued health of Strawberry Creek while the field is lowered four feet.

Big Giorgio fan here. Really nice kid.

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondBear View Post

but a great line.

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondBear View Post
    This reminds me of one of the Bruin excuses, for their last several crappy years. Their practice field, "Spaulding Field" is only 80 yards long. Well that's the answer - how can they be expected to practice 90 yard touchdown plays?

Thanks Fiat.

Yes I was aware of the culvert under the stadium, but not the larger one you mentioned. As you know, the dog leg in Strawberry Creek runs along the Hayward Fault we both live on. The fault has moved about a half mile, traced by the creek, since the hills formed several million years ago, thus, $350 million for a retrofit.

I only have to spend about $100 grand on my modest home directly on the fault