Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verbals, Transfers, Commits, ETC.

Verbals, Transfers, Commits, ETC.

Breakdown of our Roster with average star ranking included. NC State fan did a nice job and included all BCS conference schools:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/california

SacCityBear
    This is pretty sweet. Now I can actually figure out the rosters of teams like USC, Utah, and ASU that have had a lot of player movement this year.

Bluescriptcal Robert thurman

What happened to robert thurman?

SacCityBear
    I doubt the person who did the site knew about his 1-year scholarship. It would be pretty hard to be up to date on the goings on of every school in the country. He probably just looked at rosters and such.

Quote Originally Posted by SacCityBear View Post
    I doubt the person who did the site knew about his 1-year scholarship. It would be pretty hard to be up to date on the goings on of every school in the country. He probably just looked at rosters and such.
    I think the person running this site would welcome any updates/info you would e-mail them.

SacCityBear
    Quote Originally Posted by ccajon View Post
    I think the person running this site would welcome any updates/info you would e-mail them.
    I'd tell him that Powers is not on a scholarship rather than Thurman was a one-year scholarship that may or may not be renewed depending on whether we get someone else to use it or not.

Seems highly unlikely that Thurman loses his scholarship. We have one more open slot to give and we can use Thurman off the bench next season.

SacCityBear
    Quote Originally Posted by joshbalt View Post
    Seems highly unlikely that Thurman loses his scholarship. We have one more open slot to give and we can use Thurman off the bench next season.
    He isn't going to leave the team next season if he doesn't get a scholarship.

Depends if he is near graduating and his personal financial situation.

Perhaps not, but in fairness to Thurman it should be thought of that way.

good site

it may have a few errors, but compiling all this info and keeping it up to date is a huge challenge. Kudos to who ever runs this site.

AZ: it's amazing they signed 3 five star post players, including 7 footer.

ASU: you can see the 11 transfers.

Stanford: a team with a ton of potential in the next 2 years.

Colorado: a young and talented team. If they can keep the pieces together they have a good future.

USC: transfer/JUCO U

Utah: will likely be better just because they will have lots of experience, but it's pretty astonishing that 7 out of 8 players in their senior class transferred or were kicked off the team ) 7 other transfers. Talk about cleaning house!

Quote Originally Posted by ccajon View Post
    Breakdown of our Roster with average star ranking included. NC State fan did a nice job and included all BCS conference schools:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/california
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Cal Basketball Recruiting Chart

Hey Cal Bears,

I appreciate all the kind words you've spoken about my work. I saw some traffic coming to Verbal Commits from here, and I wanted to swing by and see what you guys were discussing and to ensure I had all of the data accurate for Cal.

A little back-story on the site, I used to keep up a NC State Basketball Recruiting Chart over at PackPride (the NC State Scout boards) which combined all the links and ratings from Scout, ESPN, and Rivals. It got difficult to maintain by hand, so I automated the process, and threw a basic UI together and put it up on the web. I did the same for all the other schools while I was automating it. I threw in YouTube highlights and Twitter feeds for every ranked recruit that I could find, and added the depth chart at the recruits position for each of their offers.

I started cleaning up the rosters on the ACC teams first, and then moved on to the rest of the BCS conferences.

BTW, I haven't gotten to validating the active rosters for schools outside the BCS conferences yet, so that data will be inaccurate due to red-shirts, prep schools, junior colleges and transfers.

Obviously this info does not contain any of the great inside info that you get here at The Bear Insider (I mean it has insider right in the name). My charts are all based off of publicly available data, so there is nothing to be inside per se.

I've updated Jefferson Powers to walk-on status per an earlier post in this thread. I've also added the rest of your walk-ons from last season's squad as well.

As for Robert Thurman, I didn't know he was on scholarship this past season, but let me explain why he is still showing as a walk-on. Since former walk-ons who have been awarded scholarships are typically told that the scholarship is only for that year, and if an incoming recruit needs the scholarship that the scholarship is unlikely to be renewed, I wanted the count of available scholarships for the incoming class to reflect that.I've been treating all former walk-ons the same for all schools. Moving forward, I'm hoping to add a designation for former walk-ons who've earned a scholarship, but I just haven't had a chance yet.

On a personal note, my wife was born and raised in Berkeley by a Cal alum, so after NC State, Cal is my second favorite school. I also live here in the East Bay, just north of the Caldecott tunnel, so I'm partial to the area as well.

Let me know if you have any other corrections, or questions. I'm happy to answer them or fix any issues. Also, if you have any suggestions for the site, please let me know. I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Roll on ye Bears!

good work

must take a lot of work keeping this site up to date, unless you're saying your database pulls info/updates directly from Scout, etc. Anyway, good job. It's a useful site.

Here are some updates:

Cal:

Ed Miller shows as a transfer which I guess is true, but he was a walkon. Since you indicate walkons as a color normally, you can't tell that a transfer was a walkon, and to me there is a big difference when a walkon leaves a program compared to a schollie player. I suggest you change the way you indicate walkons to (WO).

Murray transferred (to Seattle U)
    I think Karnowski is at least a Medium interest
    I think Bird is a High interest
    Perhaps you're just reflecting what Scout lists, but I'm not sure how current they are on these interest ratings

AZ: I heard K. Natyazhko left AZ (maybe for Euro Pro)

Utah: J. Hearlihy got his schollie pulled by Utah coach

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-Pettengill View Post
    Hey Cal Bears,

I appreciate all the kind words you've spoken about my work. I saw some traffic coming to Verbal Commits from here, and I wanted to swing by and see what you guys were discussing and to ensure I had all of the data accurate for Cal.

A little back-story on the site, I used to keep up a NC State Basketball Recruiting Chart over at PackPride (the NC State Scout boards) which combined all the links and ratings from Scout, ESPN, and Rivals. It got difficult to maintain by hand, so I automated the process, and threw a basic UI together and put it up on the web. I did the same for all the other schools while I was automating it. I threw in YouTube highlights and Twitter feeds for every ranked recruit that I could find, and added the depth chart at the recruits position for each of their offers.

I started cleaning up the rosters on the ACC teams first, and then moved on to the rest of the BCS conferences.

BTW, I haven't gotten to validating the active rosters for schools outside the BCS conferences yet, so that data will be inaccurate due to red-shirts, prep schools, junior colleges and transfers.

Obviously this info does not contain any of the great inside info that you get here at The Bear Insider (I mean it has insider right in the name). My charts are all based off of publicly available data, so there is nothing to be inside per se.

I've updated Jefferson Powers to walk-on status per an earlier post in this thread. I've also added the rest of your walk-ons from last season's squad as well.

As for Robert Thurman, I didn't know he was on scholarship this past season, but let me explain why he is still showing as a walk-on. Since former walk-ons who have been awarded scholarships are typically told that the scholarship is only for that year, and if an incoming recruit needs the scholarship that the scholarship is unlikely to be renewed, I wanted the count of available scholarships for the incoming class to reflect that.I've been treating all former walk-ons the same for all schools. Moving forward, I'm hoping to add a designation for former walk-ons who've earned a scholarship, but I just haven't had a chance yet.

On a personal note, my wife was born and raised in Berkeley by a Cal alum, so after NC State, Cal is my second favorite school. I also live here in the East Bay, just north of the Caldecott tunnel, so I'm partial to the area as well.

Let me know if you have any other corrections, or questions. I'm happy to answer them or fix any issues. Also, if you have any suggestions for the site, please let me know. I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Roll on ye Bears!
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Please return and share often.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    must take a lot of work keeping this site up to date, unless you're saying your database pulls info/updates directly from Scout, etc. Anyway, good job. It's a useful site.

Here are some updates:

Cal:

Ed Miller shows as a transfer which I guess is true, but he was a walkon. Since you indicate walkons as a color normally, you can't tell that a transfer was a walkon, and to me there is a big difference when a walkon leaves a program compared to a schollie player. I suggest you change the way you indicate walkons to (WO).

Murray transferred (to Seattle U)
    I think Karnowski is at least a Medium interest
    I think Bird is a High interest
    Perhaps you're just reflecting what Scout lists, but I'm not sure how current they are on these interest ratings

AZ: I heard K. Natyazhko left AZ (maybe for Euro Pro)

Utah: J. Hearlihy got his schollie pulled by Utah coach
    Thanks for all of the updates and suggestions!

First the updates:

* I've entered the Murray transfer.

* I upped Karnowski to Medium interest. He isn't listed on Scout, Rivals, or ESPN, but I added him initially as a low after discussing with a poster over on California Golden Blogs who indicated that the likelihood was low.

* Bird is listed as Medium interest on both Scout and Rivals, and ESPN does not state an interest level. I check all 3 sites on a regular basis (nightly for Scout and ESPN, and weekly for Rivals) and use the highest level of interest as the level of interest I display. If I see something that makes it look like there is more interest, then I will link to that article and update the status.

* For AZ, I've updated Natyazhko as going pro and Josiah Turner as transferring

* For Utah, I've indicated that J. Hearlihy is no longer going to attend Utah. I haven't added a notice that says de-committed yet, but hopefully I'll get a chance to soon.

As for walk-on transfers, I totally agree with you, and I'll look to add the (WO) designation for former walk-ons who have transferred. They shouldn't appear the same as a scholarship player transferring, that is very misleading.

This was great feedback! Please keep me posted if you have any other corrections, suggestions, or what not.