Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky's Exodus to the NBA

Kentucky's Exodus to the NBA

http://www.ibabuzz.com/beartalk/2012...ters-turn-pro/

All starters going pro, with a total of 6 players expected to be drafted, with the lowest projected at 38th pick.

An amazing array of talent, as anyone could see who watched them in their championship run.

Great Calipari news conference on the departures. Not even any pretense about being an academic institution.

Kentucky and the NBA

Hey, that is Kentucky.

If the NBA did not force talented basketball players to attend a year of college, there would still be egregious basketball programs like Kentucky. But, maybe not to the extent that there is right now.

There would be the opportunity for those who are both good enough to be drafted and also who want to go directly from high school to the NBA to do so.

Among posters here, I know I am in a minority on this issue, but I think overall it would be better if the NBA was not able to restrain trade in the manner that it currently does.

We would not likely see 6 players leaving a college team early, were there unrestricted entry into the NBA.

I don't pretend to understand APR (not even sure of the acronym for the metric) and all of that for programs, but how does Kentucky NOT score horribly on that metric? And with a bad enough rating, aren't you supposed to be banned from the NCAA's like UConn is next year? If the rating isn't somewhat based on GRADUATING players, it's a worthless metric that needs to be revised anyway. Why should everyone compete with a program that is clearly just an unofficial D-league team that isn't even making a small effort at anything other?

BTW -- I'm waiting for the hammer to drop on UK so Calipari can hold the ignominious distinction of having final four wins vacated at three separate schools (UMass, Memphis AND UK).
    Last edited by LongTimeBearFan; 04-18-2012 at 08:06 AM.

comments

I am w/ Southbender. No reason for the sham of 1 year of college except for the NBA trying to keep 18 yo's out of the league for fear of an embarrassing incident. I still think the baseball rule would work: you can go to the NBA after HS, but if you go to college, you commit for 3 years.

As for the APR (it means academic progress rate), players who transfer or leave for the NBA as long as they are in "good standing" when they leave. If the UK 5 drop the spring semester, the APR will take a hit; if they complete the semester, they count as "in good standing."

So as long as they pass basket weaving or ballroom dancing this semester, they're in 'good standing'. Awesome.

Of course, the NBA is going this route so they can see these guys play for a year before they get drafted. Totally in their self-interest after a lot of straight out of HS busts in years past, but still irritating. It gets to a point where 'schools' like Kentucky should just have their own NCAA division (D-League division... lol) or something, because it's just not a level playing field.

I think the NBA should start a real juniors program and elevate the D league to a real minor league and not a dumping ground. Let some kids in at 16 as long as they school/GED. The NBA should stop sponging off the NCAA. They think they're saving money but they can actually make more with a properly run D league.

For example, start the real junior program, run a 20-30 game league and elevate the best to the D league for another 20-30 games. Keep them in junior/D league until they're 18 or 19. Put a few games on before the NBA game. Use a MLB model to call players up with so many options. People will pay to see a budding superstar play.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Great Calipari news conference on the departures. Not even any pretense about being an academic institution.
    Ya I was embarrassed for him and the program when I saw that. What a mockery.

I wouldn't feel empathy for him -- he's a slick slimebag with no pretense of caring. My own guess is the (generally stupid) NY Knicks owners will lure him away in the offseason for $10M+ a season. That way he can skate out before the NCAA (inevitably) drops the hammer on him.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeBearFan View Post
    I wouldn't feel empathy for him -- he's a slick slimebag with no pretense of caring. My own guess is the (generally stupid) NY Knicks owners will lure him away in the offseason for $10M+ a season. That way he can skate out before the NCAA (inevitably) drops the hammer on him.
    I remember Temple coach John Chaney challenging Calipari to a fight when Cal was at UMass. I was kind of shocked how angry Chaney was and wondered what could Calipari have done to have enraged him. I can understand. A guy who doesn't respect a university and the collegiate system as a place of learning would rankle me as well.

I remember that as well, and at the time it made Chaney look very bad. In retrospect, he should have been allowed to kick Calipari's ass on national tv.

I remember that as well, and at the time it made Chaney look very bad. In retrospect, he should have been allowed to kick Calipari's ass on national tv.
    Yup. Chaney said "I'm gonna kill you!" Stuff you normally don't see in D-I basketball LOL.

I wouldn't feel empathy for him -- he's a slick slimebag with no pretense of caring.

I would love to have John Calipari coaching at Cal. That would mean we'd be a Top 5 program year in and year out, with a national championship or three on the horizon. That would be fantastic. We'd have NBA talent all over our roster.

Calipari is the best recruiter in the country and a future Hall of Fame basketball coach. We would be lucky to ever even get consideration as a destination school for him.

He is a winner. In big-time sports, that's all that matters.

And then we'd be on probation and have whatever titles, final four appearances and so on vacated due to all sorts of violations. Just look at his track record. If win at all costs is what you want, then he's your man. He'd never coach here anyway 'cause we couldn't pay him the multi-millions he'd want.

Of course, the NBA is going this route so they can see these guys play for a year before they get drafted. Totally in their self-interest after a lot of straight out of HS busts in years past, but still irritating. It gets to a point where 'schools' like Kentucky should just have their own NCAA division (D-League division... lol) or something, because it's just not a level playing field.
    I think it is even more cynical than that. The NBA loves the fact that these guys go a play at UK for a year so that all the college fans will follow their alumns into the NBA. Players come into the league bringing an entourage of fans thanks to that one year of being a "student" athlete.

Truth is this probably works. The only time I will watch a regular season NBA game anymore is if some Cal player is on.