Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I consider myself a "True Blue"

Can I consider myself a "True Blue"

Figured this was a good time to post this since, other than spring practice, it is a bit of a down time.

So here is a little background:

I'm a 22 year old student at UCSB. My father went to CAL and graduated 75'ish, He was in Kappa Delta Row btw. He is the biggest Cal fan in the world. Football and Basketball are definitely is favorite, but he even will follow sports such as softball. Ever since I could remember, my dad was a fanatic football fan. I remember playing soccer games as a youth or going to my sister's games, and my dad would always have his little radio running the Cal games as we played.

As I grew older, I too became a devout fan of Cal athletics, specifically football and basketball as well. I watch every game and try to go to about 2 games a year. Since about 2007 I have been religiously reading these boards and also seem to be one of the few people to represent Cal on the ESPN college football boards.

The reason why I ask if I can consider myself a true cal fan is because I actually don't go to Cal. As some of you know, it is a bit difficult to get in these days. Unfortunately, I ended up having to settle with UCSB. The best thing about UCSB though, and the worst , is that we do not have a football team. So naturally I can remain a Cal football fan without ever having to worry about them playing my alma mater. I will even admit to rooting for Cal when they demolished UCSB and some of my friends at Haas this year (don't tell them).

So will you guys accept me as a Cal fan, or is it exclusively only to those who attend the university?

SacCityBear
    If you live in the state of California, I claim you as a Cal fan whether you know it/want to be or not, even if you have other collegiate allegiances. If you are a willing fan, all the better.

Active Bear
    Sounds like a True Blue to me!

In my book, you are... I'd even say that there are some who have attended Cal, graduated even, and they are not.

If grad school is in your future, you still might be a Cal student...
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Looks like you cannot deny your "genetics"; ergo, a True Blue, whether your angst wants to get the better of you...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBear21 View Post
    Figured this was a good time to post this since, other than spring practice, it is a bit of a down time.

I'm a 22 year old student at UCSB. My father went to CAL and graduated 75'ish, He was in Kappa Delta Row btw. He is the biggest Cal fan in the world. Football and Basketball are definitely is favorite, but he even will follow sports such as softball. Ever since I could remember, my dad was a fanatic football fan. I remember playing soccer games as a youth or going to my sister's games, and my dad would always have his little radio running the Cal games as we played.

As I grew older, I too became a devout fan of Cal athletics, specifically football and basketball as well. I watch every game and try to go to about 2 games a year. Since about 2007 I have been religiously reading these boards and also seem to be one of the few people to represent Cal on the ESPN college football boards.

The reason why I ask if I can consider myself a true cal fan is because I actually don't go to Cal. As some of you know, it is a bit difficult to get in these days. Unfortunately, I ended up having to settle with UCSB. The best thing about UCSB though, and the worst , is that we do not have a football team. So naturally I can remain a Cal football fan without ever having to worry about them playing my alma mater. I will even admit to rooting for Cal when they demolished UCSB and some of my friends at Haas this year (don't tell them).

So will you guys accept me as a Cal fan, or is it exclusively only to those who attend the university?
    In my book you are a True Blue Cal Fan par excellance (sp?).

You can become one by:

Being a Cal Alum (only requires one semester, a few more points if you actually graduated from Cal).

Being related to a Cal Alum (either by birth, adoption, or marriage - or in some states being Civilly United)

Going to Cal Games.

Going onto the Cal Campus (at least once)

Just wanting to be a Cal Fan.
    Last edited by 68great; 04-18-2012 at 10:45 AM.

If you were in the South, you would be called a pure fan. In their eyes, it is almost a greater level since you could claim allegiance to any team, and you deliberately chose Cal, whereas us Alumni are "stuck" with our team.

(see the fantastic book Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer for more on this subject- I highly recommend it).

The reason why I ask if I can consider myself a true cal fan is because I actually don't go to Cal. As some of you know, it is a bit difficult to get in these days. Unfortunately, I ended up having to settle with UCSB.
    There's someone else here (I think kaplanfx) who went to UCSB, but who doesn't seem to suffer the same sense of angst. And I don't think anyone here looks at him funny.

So yeah you're totally a legit Cal fan, and as 75bear points out, especially so because you choose Cal.

Good story; the only way it could have been better is if you had written the exact same post, but said "Unfortunately, I ended up having to settle with UCLA."

my best friend is a huge cal fan, he never attended a class at cal. all my cal friends treat him like an alum, knowing he went to nyu. don't see why it would be any different for you. seriously, consider all the cal grads who've never even watched a cal football game...

we love having you, brother.

incidentally, i attended ucsb to play tennis for a minute before transferring to cal. much gaucho love.

Absolutely. In a few years we hope that you will be able to donate a million dollars year from your successful start up company!
    Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by 68great View Post
    In my book you are a True Blue Cal Fan par excellance (sp?).

You can become one by:

Being a Cal Alum (only requires one semester, a few more points if you actually graduated from Cal).

Being related to a Cal Alum (either by birth, adoption, or marriage - or in some states being Civilly United)

Going to Cal Games.

Going onto the Cal Campus (at least once)

Just wanting to be a Cal Fan.
    Actually, even taking an extension class at Cal would qualify him as an alumnus---and you can do that online.

Quote Originally Posted by 75bear View Post
    If you were in the South, you would be called a pure fan. In their eyes, it is almost a greater level since you could claim allegiance to any team, and you deliberately chose Cal, whereas us Alumni are "stuck" with our team.

(see the fantastic book Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer for more on this subject- I highly recommend it).
    co-sign on this. Great book.

You're more 'true blue' than a lot of Cal alumni I know.

Quote Originally Posted by vanity View Post
    my best friend is a huge cal fan, he never attended a class at cal. all my cal friends treat him like an alum, knowing he went to nyu.
    I know a few people with Cal degrees who didn't really attend too many classes either.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection. Send my credentials to the house of detention.
    ...As I grew older, I too became a devout fan of Cal athletics, specifically football and basketball as well. I watch every game and try to go to about 2 games a year....
    Well, at least we know you are not a front runner. Anyone who voluntarily has taken the emotional roller coaster ride that is Cal fandom and has not jumped ship yet IS IN THE CLUB, BABY!
    Last edited by bearister; 04-19-2012 at 10:51 AM.