Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some wonderlic scores from Pac 12 players (a few from Cal)

Some wonderlic scores from Pac 12 players (a few from Cal)

They are from the Packers' draft previews:

Someone asked me about this in another thread.

1. MATT KALIL - USC
    Will become the Trojans' 23rd O-lineman drafted in the first or second round since 1979. Now will he turn out to be more like T Ken Ruettgers (Green Bay, 1985) or T John Michels (Green Bay, 1996)? "Not great, the physical part, but he's well-coached, plays well and is very serious at his craft," San Diego GM A.J. Smith said. "He's going to want to be the best he can at the position, and he's pretty good coming in." Fourth-year junior started two years at LT. His older brother, Ryan, is the Pro Bowl center for Carolina. "He's better than his brother," said Don Gregory, the Panthers' director of college scouting. "He's bigger, faster, stronger than his brother. He's so athletic. He will be a 10-year pro and protect your (expletive) out at left tackle." Hails from Corona, Calif. Father, Frank, was drafted as a guard by Buffalo in the 11th round in 1982 and played in the USFL. Scored 15 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence, low among the top 10 tackles. "Not one of my faves," one scout said. "More of it is just his character. He doesn't have an offensive lineman's character, especially when you take into account how good his brother is in that way. He's got a real sense of entitlement. Hey, he's got a lot of talent. He'll overcome some of those things if he doesn't want to wash out, if he doesn't want to end up being Robert Gallery."

5. JONATHAN MARTIN - Stanford

Third-year junior with 37 starts at LT. "He's smart and competitive," one scout said. "But the guy from SC (Nick Perry) wore him out. That's what bothers me." Tallied 35 on the Wonderlic and plays a non-power game. "(Expletive), no," another scout replied when asked if he would want Martin. "Not very tough." Hails from North Hollywood, Calif. One scout said Martin's father was a college professor and his mother was an attorney. "I'm not sure if you're getting Kwame Harris or Bob Whitfield," a third scout said. "He's like both of them. He really is a big-time athlete on tape but he didn't work out well. I don't know how much he enjoys playing."

7. MITCHELL SCHWARTZ California

Highly seasoned, with 35 starts at LT and 16 at RT. "He's just one of those guys that will play right tackle, line up for you and play," one scout said. Older brother, Geoff, started 16 games at RT and RG for Carolina in 2010 and signed with the Vikings on March 26. "Now he's not going to win any beauty contests," another scout said. "He's not athletically what you want in a left tackle. But those are the guys that play. Guys like Jonathan Martin, we get all excited about and we draft them in the first round and it's guys like Schwartz that end up playing in the offensive line because they're smart (Wonderlic of 35) and tough." Compared by one scout to former Eagle RT Jon Runyan. Hails from Pacific Palisades, Calif.

1. DAVID DeCASTRO - Stanford

Fourth-year junior made 39 starts, all at RG. "I just don't think there's any miss factor to him," Dominik said. "He should go in the top 10." Some scouts bring out the names Alan Faneca and Steve Hutchinson as comparisons to DeCastro. "Not as good as 'Hutch' but he's close," one scout said. "He's really physical, tough, smart (Wonderlic of 31). Everything you want in a guard. He's just a little stiff athletically. He will struggle some at the edges against quickness." Had 34 reps on the bench press. Arm length (32) just average. "He pulls as well as anyone I've seen in years," another scout said. "It's amazing what he can do on the move." Came out of Bellevue, Wash. "(Mike) Iupati was more flexible than this guy but they have the same demeanor," a third scout said. "Try to grab and kill you."

6. TONY BERGSTROM - Utah
    Three-year starter at RT but projected to guard by many teams. "I really wasn't enamored with him as a right tackle but he might have been the best guard at the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "I was shocked. He's a smart (Wonderlic of 34), overachieving type guy." Will be a 27-year-old rookie because he went on an extended mission out of high school in Salt Lake City. "Guard," another scout said. "He's square. He's technically sound. He needs a little bit more snap but I think he's very smart and will fit right in." Short arms (32), small hands (9).

6. BROCK OSWEILER Arizona State
    Will become just the 10th QB taller than 6-6 to be drafted since 1988. "Remember the big (Dan) McGwire kid from San Diego State that Seattle took with the (16th) pick in (1991)?" one scout said. "They found that his delivery was so slow. I think Osweiler's delivery is slow, too." Third-year junior from Kalispell, Mont. Accepted a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga as a high-school sophomore but later turned to football. One-year starter with a 7-8 record and passer rating of 90.7. "First part of the (2011) season the guy looked like he was going to be something special," one scout said. "Then the whole team went in the tank. By the end of the year he was just flinging the ball. He's tall, a good athlete, got good feet, good arm strength. This guy is like the CEO of a company. He's very smart (Wonderlic of 25) and handles himself very well. But, to me, he's a project."

10. NICK FOLES Arizona
    Broke Brees' records at Westlake High in Austin, Texas. "If he had feet, he'd be one of the best," one scout said. "He just isn't a real good foot athlete. But he is a good passer. When he gets time to throw, he throws well. But you have to be able to move now." Finished 14-18 with a passer rating of 93.8. Had 29 on the Wonderlic. "I don't like him," another scout said. "I think he's heavy-footed. Tall pocket passer. That's all he is."

MYCHAL KENDRICKS - California

Started 29 of 51 games, including 15 outside and 14 inside. "He's floats around and has to be protected, but he makes a lot of plays," one scout said. "He is an active, high-motor guy that gets to the football." Beat up. Has had shoulder surgery, played on a bad knee and underwent thumb surgery last season. Also regarded as a character risk by some teams. Scored 14 on the Wonderlic and might need reps. "Hell of a football player in a 4-3," another scout said. "He doesn't fit a 3-4." Out of Fresno, Calif. Finished with 258 tackles (36 for loss), 13 sacks and 11 "big" plays.

The numbers on Stanford players must be false. There is no way that the Rhodes scholars that make up their roster could score anything less than a perfect 50 unless the NFL refused to put the test on hold while they were saving children from a burning building.

Quote Originally Posted by BowDowntoWashington View Post
    They are from the Packers' draft previews:

Someone asked me about this in another thread.

1. MATT KALIL - USC
    Will become the Trojans' 23rd O-lineman drafted in the first or second round since 1979. Now will he turn out to be more like T Ken Ruettgers (Green Bay, 1985) or T John Michels (Green Bay, 1996)? "Not great, the physical part, but he's well-coached, plays well and is very serious at his craft," San Diego GM A.J. Smith said. "He's going to want to be the best he can at the position, and he's pretty good coming in." Fourth-year junior started two years at LT. His older brother, Ryan, is the Pro Bowl center for Carolina. "He's better than his brother," said Don Gregory, the Panthers' director of college scouting. "He's bigger, faster, stronger than his brother. He's so athletic. He will be a 10-year pro and protect your (expletive) out at left tackle." Hails from Corona, Calif. Father, Frank, was drafted as a guard by Buffalo in the 11th round in 1982 and played in the USFL. Scored 15 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence, low among the top 10 tackles. "Not one of my faves," one scout said. "More of it is just his character. He doesn't have an offensive lineman's character, especially when you take into account how good his brother is in that way. He's got a real sense of entitlement. Hey, he's got a lot of talent. He'll overcome some of those things if he doesn't want to wash out, if he doesn't want to end up being Robert Gallery."

5. JONATHAN MARTIN - Stanford

Third-year junior with 37 starts at LT. "He's smart and competitive," one scout said. "But the guy from SC (Nick Perry) wore him out. That's what bothers me." Tallied 35 on the Wonderlic and plays a non-power game. "(Expletive), no," another scout replied when asked if he would want Martin. "Not very tough." Hails from North Hollywood, Calif. One scout said Martin's father was a college professor and his mother was an attorney. "I'm not sure if you're getting Kwame Harris or Bob Whitfield," a third scout said. "He's like both of them. He really is a big-time athlete on tape but he didn't work out well. I don't know how much he enjoys playing."

7. MITCHELL SCHWARTZ California

Highly seasoned, with 35 starts at LT and 16 at RT. "He's just one of those guys that will play right tackle, line up for you and play," one scout said. Older brother, Geoff, started 16 games at RT and RG for Carolina in 2010 and signed with the Vikings on March 26. "Now he's not going to win any beauty contests," another scout said. "He's not athletically what you want in a left tackle. But those are the guys that play. Guys like Jonathan Martin, we get all excited about and we draft them in the first round and it's guys like Schwartz that end up playing in the offensive line because they're smart (Wonderlic of 35) and tough." Compared by one scout to former Eagle RT Jon Runyan. Hails from Pacific Palisades, Calif.

1. DAVID DeCASTRO - Stanford

Fourth-year junior made 39 starts, all at RG. "I just don't think there's any miss factor to him," Dominik said. "He should go in the top 10." Some scouts bring out the names Alan Faneca and Steve Hutchinson as comparisons to DeCastro. "Not as good as 'Hutch' but he's close," one scout said. "He's really physical, tough, smart (Wonderlic of 31). Everything you want in a guard. He's just a little stiff athletically. He will struggle some at the edges against quickness." Had 34 reps on the bench press. Arm length (32) just average. "He pulls as well as anyone I've seen in years," another scout said. "It's amazing what he can do on the move." Came out of Bellevue, Wash. "(Mike) Iupati was more flexible than this guy but they have the same demeanor," a third scout said. "Try to grab and kill you."

6. TONY BERGSTROM - Utah
    Three-year starter at RT but projected to guard by many teams. "I really wasn't enamored with him as a right tackle but he might have been the best guard at the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "I was shocked. He's a smart (Wonderlic of 34), overachieving type guy." Will be a 27-year-old rookie because he went on an extended mission out of high school in Salt Lake City. "Guard," another scout said. "He's square. He's technically sound. He needs a little bit more snap but I think he's very smart and will fit right in." Short arms (32), small hands (9).

6. BROCK OSWEILER Arizona State
    Will become just the 10th QB taller than 6-6 to be drafted since 1988. "Remember the big (Dan) McGwire kid from San Diego State that Seattle took with the (16th) pick in (1991)?" one scout said. "They found that his delivery was so slow. I think Osweiler's delivery is slow, too." Third-year junior from Kalispell, Mont. Accepted a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga as a high-school sophomore but later turned to football. One-year starter with a 7-8 record and passer rating of 90.7. "First part of the (2011) season the guy looked like he was going to be something special," one scout said. "Then the whole team went in the tank. By the end of the year he was just flinging the ball. He's tall, a good athlete, got good feet, good arm strength. This guy is like the CEO of a company. He's very smart (Wonderlic of 25) and handles himself very well. But, to me, he's a project."

10. NICK FOLES Arizona
    Broke Brees' records at Westlake High in Austin, Texas. "If he had feet, he'd be one of the best," one scout said. "He just isn't a real good foot athlete. But he is a good passer. When he gets time to throw, he throws well. But you have to be able to move now." Finished 14-18 with a passer rating of 93.8. Had 29 on the Wonderlic. "I don't like him," another scout said. "I think he's heavy-footed. Tall pocket passer. That's all he is."

MYCHAL KENDRICKS - California

Started 29 of 51 games, including 15 outside and 14 inside. "He's floats around and has to be protected, but he makes a lot of plays," one scout said. "He is an active, high-motor guy that gets to the football." Beat up. Has had shoulder surgery, played on a bad knee and underwent thumb surgery last season. Also regarded as a character risk by some teams. Scored 14 on the Wonderlic and might need reps. "Hell of a football player in a 4-3," another scout said. "He doesn't fit a 3-4." Out of Fresno, Calif. Finished with 258 tackles (36 for loss), 13 sacks and 11 "big" plays.
    Hasn't Kendricks spent most of his time in a 3-4 rather than a 4-3? Odd also that he's regarded as a character risk. I haven't seen anything in his time at Cal that suggests that.

Why would Kendricks be a character risk?

Quote Originally Posted by SacCityBear View Post
    The numbers on Stanford players must be false. There is no way that the Rhodes scholars that make up their roster could score anything less than a perfect 50 unless the NFL refused to put the test on hold while they were saving children from a burning building.
    On the Stanfurd Wonderlic, up until the end of the test, if you feel you aren't doing well, you (provided your tuition check didn't bounce) can "drop" the test and then retake it later.

Just curious

In any medical or educational situation, a person's score on an intelligence test would be protected by privacy laws (such as HIPAA), and divulging them would be a misdemeanor. Just curious why it is seen as "OK" of they are football players.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    In any medical or educational situation, a person's score on an intelligence test would be protected by privacy laws (such as HIPAA), and divulging them would be a misdemeanor. Just curious why it is seen as "OK" of they are football players.
    NFL is a business, not a college. I would think that the NFL could have stronger internal rules that discouraged the disclosure of privileged and confidential info. But look at how much is leaked all the time in sports so that certain teams can gain advantages (or perceived advantages).

Maybe the NFL should get rid of the wonderlic entirely.

Frank Lloyd Wright was
    a) a Western gun slinger
    b) invented facebook
    c) Dude that made that staircase that went up and around and up and around like a.....spiral
    d) COME ON ANDREW YOU KNOW THIS ONE

Doesn't fit a 3-4? WHAT.

Did great as on OLB, fine. But you just said he needed protection, and he's better in a scheme without another ILB.

So was the wonderlic on Furd's "Easy A" list?

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    Why would Kendricks be a character risk?
    I was wondering the same thing. I don't recall ever hearing Kendricks having any type of behavioral or character problem.

The comments about Kendricks are Martin are ridiculous.

Martin is being judged harshly because his dad is a professor and his mom is an attorney? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by likwid1 View Post
    The comments about Kendricks are Martin are ridiculous.

Martin is being judged harshly because his dad is a professor and his mom is an attorney? Please.
    Like the military and police, the NFL doesn't like their linemen to be too smart. They want guys that when told to "take off their head, rip his ACL to shreds" the player doesn't think about it, instead he just does it.

Is a mid-30's Wonderlic considered "smart?"

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post

Maybe the NFL should get rid of the wonderlic entirely.
    Like any selection process with dubious potential outcome the tendency is to amass as much data as possible even if it is irrelevant to performance.