Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Success of Wisc. Football - Please Explain

Quote Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
    Ugh, I work with a Wisconsin alum who is absolutely insufferable about the Badgers.

In his world, there are two dominant conferences, the Big 10 and the SEC, and the rest are irrelevant. The Pac-12 is a mid-major conference with one good program and a bunch of teams that are warm-up cupcake games for the real conferences. The college football world has two time zones.

I hope he's not representative of all Wisconsin fans, because if he is, their fanbase is arrogant.
    Most are not like that. In fact, some are embarassed about the extent to which UW uses resources on FB. A few pay no attention to FB whatsoever. Sound familiar? They're pretty serious about the academic world there.

I agree with those who say it's the linemen (and coaching stability). They just keep pounding and pounding. Most teams crack. The better ones don't. RBs? They may all be 4.6 (that's charitable), but they're also 5'10", 225#. And, they just keep hitting the hole hard. Now, add in an athletic QB from NCS like they did last year and you have further improvement. This year it will be back to the tried and true.

Well they are 2-4 in their recent bowl games and lost the last two rose bowls to teams who weren't crushed by their OL. Works well in the draught horse league they play in.

I don't really buy the consistency of coaching staff argument. Coaches are usually long tenured because they're successful, not the other way around.

Wisconsin has a very strong identity, and everything they do in recruiting and coaching and strength and conditioning is tailored to that identity. I'd love for cal to be Wisconsin-west, and I don't see why we couldn't make that happen.

And I don't want to take anything away from the Badgers but......

To an extent is their "rise" a function of the fall off in a number of other Big-10 programs. I am thinking in particular of OSU last year; Illinois retreat to irrelevancy, the Domer's continue saga of shooting self in foot, Penn State's soap opera with Jo Pa, etc. etc.

One thing that negabears give Tedford a pass for is that some of our futility in the early part of last decade corresponded to the rise of what might be the most dominant program in college football in the last 20 years. Pete the Cheat was frankly amazing. We also are now in an historic "up" period of Duck football. As much as all of you I want to beat both of those programs. But I also recognize that some of the losses to them are a function of them being at the very top of the college football pecking order.

Badgers have done well. They have avoided over the past 5-6 years our "losses" to the equivelent of the Oregon States and ASUs and UCLAs of their conference. But except for that epic upset of Ohio State, their record against great teams isn't that impressive - rather it is their ability to get the job done against the Michigan States, Illini, Minnesotas and Iowas

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    And I don't want to take anything away from the Badgers but......

To an extent is their "rise" a function of the fall off in a number of other Big-10 programs. I am thinking in particular of OSU last year; Illinois retreat to irrelevancy, the Domer's continue saga of shooting self in foot, Penn State's soap opera with Jo Pa, etc. etc.

One thing that negabears give Tedford a pass for is that some of our futility in the early part of last decade corresponded to the rise of what might be the most dominant program in college football in the last 20 years. Pete the Cheat was frankly amazing. We also are now in an historic "up" period of Duck football. As much as all of you I want to beat both of those programs. But I also recognize that some of the losses to them are a function of them being at the very top of the college football pecking order.

Badgers have done well. They have avoided over the past 5-6 years our "losses" to the equivelent of the Oregon States and ASUs and UCLAs of their conference. But except for that epic upset of Ohio State, their record against great teams isn't that impressive - rather it is their ability to get the job done against the Michigan States, Illini, Minnesotas and Iowas
    Good post, but I have one minor quibble. I don't think Illinois had much to do with the rise of Wisconsin, as "irrelevancy" is the usual domain of the Iliini.

We also are now in an historic "up" period of Duck football.
    Thank G-d for that. Otherwise, we'd have to live down furd making the Rose Bowl - or better.

Football is "it" in the midwest. There are a plethora of quality kids and not near the number of competing programs like we have out west. If you look at their roster, most of their kids are from Wisconsin. What other DI football school is in the state? Most of the rest are from the surrounding states. That is true with Big 10 football in general, but more so with Wisconsin I think. If you are a good high school football player in Wisconsin, you usually end up in Madison! As was also pointed out in this thread, they run a pro-style program, expecially offensively and they recruit kids to make it work - BIG kids!

.......Badgers have done well. They have avoided over the past 5-6 years our "losses" to the equivelent of the Oregon States and ASUs and UCLAs of their conference. But except for that epic upset of Ohio State, their record against great teams isn't that impressive - rather it is their ability to get the job done against the Michigan States, Illini, Minnesotas and Iowas
    You may be right that Wisc's template gives them consistent success against mid-grade teams, but difficulty getting over the top against the elite. But the way things have been going at Cal the last few years, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Must respectfully disagree. Barry Alvarez made a point of recruiting out-of-state players. That was a change from the past, and may help to explain Wisconsin's turnaround since the mid 90's.

Please see the Wisconsin roster. Many out-of-state players.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-fo...ootbl-mtt.html

Quote Originally Posted by Calbach View Post
    After decades of football oblivion prior to the mid-1990s, the Badgers have played in the last two Rose Bowls.

Here are the Badgers recent recruiting rankings per Scout.com:

2006 #37
    2007 #41
    2008 #26
    2009 #51
    2010 #33
    2011 #38
    2012 #63

Can someone please explain the Badgers' football success?

Can Cal replicate this success?
    Why do some of the members of this board continue to reference Scout?
    SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by Calbach View Post
    Must respectfully disagree. Barry Alvarez made a point of recruiting out-of-state players. That was a change from the past, and may help to explain Wisconsin's turnaround since the mid 90's.

Please see the Wisconsin roster. Many out-of-state players.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-fo...ootbl-mtt.html
    80 Of the players are from Midwest states (52 from Wisconsin). With 105 players allowed, that is an overwhelming number of "local" kids - and that doesn't count the kids from PA, who were probably closer to Madison than San Diego is to Berkeley. Sure looks like a "homegrown" team to me.

Not much else to do besides play football in Wisconsin?

FingeroftheBear
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyGBear View Post
    Not much else to do besides play football in Wisconsin?
    Beer, brats and hockey.

Also I think Wisc brings in the skill/speed position from out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by FingeroftheBear View Post
    Beer, brats and hockey.

Also I think Wisc brings in the skill/speed position from out of state.
    Madison is the Berkeley of the Midwest. Best place to go to school in the conference.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

According to the ESPN database on college sports expenditures, Wisconsin spends about $93 million a year, versus Cal's $64 million. A check of the Wisconsin sports website shows they have only 23 sports, versus Cal's 29. One could infer from these statistics that Wisconsin probably has more money to spend on football and basketball than Cal does, which perhaps permits superior player development. I would also suspect they do better in recruiting from their backyard than we do from ours, particularly in basketball.