Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 49ers still paying for draft mistakes

that defense the niners have is damn good. their offensive line is also very good. they now have more depth at the running back position so they will be able to pound teams and smith is only going to have to throw the ball 20-25 times a game. the receivers are upgraded so they will have more guys the get open when they do have to throw. lamichael james will give them some speed too and will basically replace ted guinn on special teams and spot running back duties. this is a good team and they are loaded. they have every aspect of what you would want except for a superstar qb. they have good starters, good depth and smart coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal88 View Post
    You're not going to win the P12 with this formula...
    Maybe Cal can't execute on that formula well enough, but there is no doubt a disciplined team that is dominant on D and controls the ball on O can win the Pac12.

Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    that defense the niners have is damn good. their offensive line is also very good. they now have more depth at the running back position so they will be able to pound teams and smith is only going to have to throw the ball 20-25 times a game. the receivers are upgraded so they will have more guys the get open when they do have to throw. lamichael james will give them some speed too and will basically replace ted guinn on special teams and spot running back duties. this is a good team and they are loaded. they have every aspect of what you would want except for a superstar qb. they have good starters, good depth and smart coaches.
    Agree re the defense---great, dominant D. I think the 49ers OL is very overrated. Smith got blamed for futility in the red zone but when an offense stalls in the red zone it's usually on the OL--no line surge. I still expect the Niners to get 10 or 11 wins next year with a still-weak West.

Quote Originally Posted by FingeroftheBear View Post
    Don't think the 9ers will be as good this coming season. Their schedule is a lot hairier this season and looks like a bear early on. Harbuagh and Balke are good however. It'll be interesting to see if Smith can hit decent receivers.
    Being good and having a good record are not the same thing. I think they'll win fewer games but be a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by SacCityBear View Post
    You mean San Francisco's gratuitous policy of trying to strip the ball from players after the whistle has blown? The 49ers should get a personal foul on half their plays on defense for that sh*t.
    I can't wait to see this locker room speech:

Alright men! We lead the NFL in turnover differential, so let's keep up the good work. Keep trying to strip that ball! But remember! If you think the whistle is about to be blown stop trying ASAP because playing through the whistle was never a good idea in the NFL ever!!!

GummyGrizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBearRJ View Post
    I can't wait to see this locker room speech:

Alright men! We lead the NFL in turnover differential, so let's keep up the good work. Keep trying to strip that ball! But remember! If you think the whistle is about to be blown stop trying ASAP because playing through the whistle was never a good idea in the NFL ever!!!
    Or, more likely, the position coaches would just coach the players on how to play to the whistle, not through it.

Yes, we will. That should be a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by GummyGrizzly View Post
    Or, more likely, the position coaches would just coach the players on how to play to the whistle, not through it.
    Isn't "to the whistle" really a second or two after the whistle is blown? How quickly do you react to somewhat randomly occurring auditory signals?

GummyGrizzly
    Isn't "to the whistle" really a second or two after the whistle is blown? How quickly do you react to somewhat randomly occurring auditory signals?
    I wouldn't say a full second or two, no. The whistle is usually blown for a full second or two, so if you go a second or two after that, that's like four seconds after the whistle starts.

Every defense tries to gain this advantage to some extent. It's up to the officials to figure out if the ball came out before the whistle or after.

Also, I have to say I find it amusing that someone is calling out the 49ers defense for trying extra hard to strip the ball, when a team the Niners played in the playoffs has been busted for running a head-hunting bounty system and deliberately trying to injure opposing players. It could always be worse, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by GummyGrizzly View Post
    I wouldn't say a full second or two, no. The whistle is usually blown for a full second or two, so if you go a second or two after that, that's like four seconds after the whistle starts.
    I wonder if we can get the Football Outsiders guys to break down average whistle seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    Every defense tries to gain this advantage to some extent. It's up to the officials to figure out if the ball came out before the whistle or after.
    Exactly. And the Niners might be gaining that advantage seeing as they led the NFL in turnover margin and fumbles recovered. I'd argue that, not only is this not an offensive practice, it's something that every team should encourage.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonBear View Post
    Maybe Cal can't execute on that formula well enough, but there is no doubt a disciplined team that is dominant on D and controls the ball on O can win the Pac12.
    This hasn't really happened in the Pac since the late Don James teams.

About the 9ers: if they continue to imrpove, they could become the Ohio State of the NFL, good enough to dominate their division but falls flat in championship games. It kind of makes sense given Harbaugh's B10 background...

Real Bear

49ers Still Benefitting from Draft Successes

Quote Originally Posted by cubzwin View Post
    Selecting Alex Smith instead of Rodgers continues to haunt the franchise. Alex Smith will not win a Super Bowl. Ever. Loading up with receivers and running backs is not going to turn Smith into Brees, Rodgers, or either Manning brother. 49ers will make the playoffs because they have a tough D and come from a weak division. Then they will lose to a team with a good quarterback. Learn from the past or you are doomed to relive it.
    Back to the Championship Game and beyond...