Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have the best wife in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by chitownbear View Post
    I disagree. Keep the Berkeley. Just what is it that you people are ashamed of?
    The City of Berkeley. It's an embarrssment!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden One View Post
    The City of Berkeley. It's an embarrssment!
    +1. It's not called the People's Republic of Berkeley for nothing.

Could it be because Ann Arbor is far less radical and not lunatic-dominated like the City of Berkeley?

FYI, this likely wouldn't be a copyright issue, but a Trademark issue. More than likely, Cal has trademarked at least a couple of the terms or symbols your wife used in the posters. For example, my guess would be Cal, Cal Football, the yellow or blue bear symbol, the bear paw could be trademarked. Still, even though the terms or symbols might be trademarked, Cal probably wouldn't come after you unless you started to sell in quantity or market very publicly.

Just be aware, that even though under copyright she may be fine because it is an original design, there may be a trademark issue. (People would assume that the posters were licensed from Cal).

Quote Originally Posted by briloker View Post
    FYI, this likely wouldn't be a copyright issue, but a Trademark issue. More than likely, Cal has trademarked at least a couple of the terms or symbols your wife used in the posters. For example, my guess would be Cal, Cal Football, the yellow or blue bear symbol, the bear paw could be trademarked. Still, even though the terms or symbols might be trademarked, Cal probably wouldn't come after you unless you started to sell in quantity or market very publicly.

Just be aware, that even though under copyright she may be fine because it is an original design, there may be a trademark issue. (People would assume that the posters were licensed from Cal).
    Briloker is right. Campanile93, your wife is violating Cal's trademark rights by selling items bearing (pun intended) Cal's trademarks without a license from Cal to do so. Predicting how Cal's trademark enforcement people (person?) will react is difficult, but Briloker is, again, on the money in noting that Cal will likely do nothing if her sales volume is relatively small. (The damages recoverable would not be worth the cost of filing and prosecuting the lawsuit.)