Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why would Barbour extend Monty's contract if he can't recruit..??

It's gotta be me. I have a problem in that if I have to pay money to watch a Cal BB game, then I want to watch some players who are not projects. I just want to see some BB players who can hold their own at their positions.

To get a few such players, we can not keep losing recruiting battles to just about everybody out there.

C'on.......can we win a recruiting battle somewhere?

SacCityBear
    Quote Originally Posted by 1947 View Post
    It's gotta be me. I have a problem in that if I have to pay money to watch a Cal BB game, then I want to watch some players who are not projects. I just want to see some BB players who can hold their own at their positions.

To get a few such players, we can not keep losing recruiting battles to just about everybody out there.

C'on.......can we win a recruiting battle somewhere?
    So, you would be happy to pay to watch a Kentucky-esque starting 5, even if it meant that Cal lost every single game?

1947 et. al.-Watch the NBA.

This board has seen an influx of short-attention-span fans who want to watch Sportscenter basketball rather than team basketball. I'd refer them to the NBA.

As far as not extending Montgomery, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a replacement name that would be better, would be clean, and would take the job.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    This board has seen an influx of short-attention-span fans who want to watch Sportscenter basketball rather than team basketball. I'd refer them to the NBA.

As far as not extending Montgomery, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a replacement name that would be better, would be clean, and would take the job.
    Indeed. We were absolutely lucky to get Monty in the first place. Are there other HOF coaches living in the area, who have just seen their lucrative NBA contracts expire and who want to get back to what they do best, coach college basketball?

Forget replacing him with someone better. Not at all likely that we would get someone as good.

Ridiculous...unless you consider Altman and Romar and Boyle outliers. The problem is that you are simply scared. Ben Braun was a horrid hire.

I'm still waiting for a name.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    Ridiculous...unless you consider Altman and Romar and Boyle outliers. The problem is that you are simply scared. Ben Braun was a horrid hire.
    I already offered one several months ago, stating that if the primary concern is recruiting, Kerry Keating would be a good choice, since he is widely believed to be the architect of UCLA's successful recruitment under Howland. Of course, that suggestion was immediately shouted down, since Keating's Santa Clara team had such a bad year this year, due to injuries and off-court behavioral issues. Finding a coach that both can recruit players and knows what to do with them is not that easy.

SacCityBear
    Ben Howland.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    Indeed. We were absolutely lucky to get Monty in the first place. Are there other HOF coaches living in the area, who have just seen their lucrative NBA contracts expire and who want to get back to what they do best, coach college basketball?

Forget replacing him with someone better. Not at all likely that we would get someone as good.
    Larry Brown was available for hire not too long ago (I don't know where he was living before he was hires by SMU). He is the only coach to win both an NCAA championship and an NBA title.

Unrealistic expectations

First, recruiting at Cal cannot be compared to recruiting at Stanford. At Stanford Montgomery had advantages and disadvantages compared to Cal (and other schools), but eventually the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. He could recruit nationally and the niche player that fit the requirements, and it doesn't take many in basketball, was his. Plus, he lucked into a few exceptional players, like the Collins twins. Yet, although he had better success at the time than Cal, even his best teams eventually were eliminated by deeper, more talented, and more athletic teams, in spite of his coaching. Second, is Cal really that attractive to the McDonald's level super prospect, regardless of who coaches? Cal's had good success the last few years, admittedly in a down time for the conference, but still cannot attract UCLA or Arizona-level recruits. How would this change? Would everyone be satisfied with crawling in the AAU slime pits for players? Well, perhaps some would.

Recruiting would be even tougher for him if he were dangling near the end of his contract.

Long-term, "rolling" contracts are just the price schools pay nowadays for hoped-to-be success. It's just the way it's done. Basketball and football.

Names

Why would Ben Howland take the Cal job if he supposedly has a monster class coming in at UCLA? And if you're intimating he's going to get fired at UCLA, that just puts him in Ben Braun territory, as a coach that recruits good players, but can't get them to play.

Larry Brown is actually the first good suggestion I've heard. It's strange that his only option was SMU. It will be interesting to see how hard he works at recruiting, since he's probably as old as Monty. But Larry Brown is one of the few names that would trump Montgomery as far as buzz.

Brown's Older

Monty is born in late 40's (47?) and Brown in 1940.

I can imagine this site with Brown as coach: Bets would be made about whether he could even finish out the season...

FingeroftheBear
    Puh-leaze, stop the Howland talk. He just pulled in the #1 class and Pauley's renovation is complete or will be. He ain't going any where except the NBA.

Also, Larry Brown? You have to be joking.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    I actually have a lower hurdle to my happiness.....having one of our VAUNTED Bay Area scribes ASK Monty for an answer to a simple question - what is going on with our recruiting battle losses. Frankly irritated mostly by the not knowing and absolute silence from the program

For all I was irritated with Tedford has anyone else noticed....

A) Tosh recruited well
    B) Tosh did social networking well
    C) I don't do social networking well
    D) Tedford now tweeting and providing news/insights from the program

Frankly that is what I expect from entertainers that take my $$$. I want Monty to be responsive as well and apprarently the only way we have to get his attention it to get a hack reporter to start asking.

MB - WHAT ABOUT YOU? What is the programs take on these failures?
    You are only looking at this from your point of view of "wanting answers". What are you really expecting? Basketball brings in a couple of guys every year. Do you think Monty is going to walk into a press conference and say "Will all players and incoming recruits please step into the soundproof booth. Okay...all in? Good. Okay, now that they are in there, let me explain why they suck and why I haven't been able to get better players than that..."

I don't see why you or anyone else thinks that entertainers owe an explanation because you pay money for their product. You either like their product or you don't. If you don't, don't buy it. If my toaster breaks, I don't ask how the toaster factory is going to fix the assembly line so that doesn't happen again.

Generally, there is a lot of good reason for teams not to share how the sausage is made. Buy the sausage or don't buy the sausage.

Fact is, whether you get answers or not about our recruiting, you are going to make your purchase decision based on what happens on the court. If this is not true, you are a rare bird. There is simply no incentive for a coach/program to air dirty laundry with fans.

Why would Ben Howland take the Cal job if he supposedly has a monster class coming in at UCLA? And if you're intimating he's going to get fired at UCLA, that just puts him in Ben Braun territory, as a coach that recruits good players, but can't get them to play.

Larry Brown is actually the first good suggestion I've heard. It's strange that his only option was SMU. It will be interesting to see how hard he works at recruiting, since he's probably as old as Monty. But Larry Brown is one of the few names that would trump Montgomery as far as buzz.
    Brown just landed ex-Wildcats' transfer 5* Josiah Turner in less then a month of being hired as HC. Tho Turner didn't performed as expected at AZ, the jury is still out whether he is an elite player worthy of a 5*. Turner is a bit oh a head case, but Brown has proven that he can coach/manage other head case players (e.g. Allen Iverson).