Page 4 of 137 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Dodgers Fans

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    It's a good time to be playing the Dodgers right now. Futile offense, Kemp and now Ethier (looks like a strained oblique and that may be for a while) are hurt, Kershaw has plantar fasciitis, the starting corners on the team have 3 HRs between them. This is gonna get real ugly by the AS break.
    Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

Maybe we can recycle some of those jokes my SoCal friends liked to tell about the Giants' offense over the last few years and redirect them back down to LA.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBear View Post
    Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

Maybe we can recycle some of those jokes my SoCal friends liked to tell about the Giants' offense over the last few years and redirect them back down to LA.
    Hehe this is some unprecedented futility. Hopefully Kemp will bring some life back but it's not just one guy. Ethier was second in RBI in the NL. Doesn't help that Ethier will be likely on the DL for a while now. Long season though - every few weeks the vibe of a particular team's path changes. I pennant chase between these hated rivals would be fun. Go Dodgers!

Scully mentioned that the Giants had never shut out the Dodgers over a full three-game series. Ever. And that the Dodgers had not been shut out over a three-game series since the Boston Braves existed. He said the year but I missed it. Anyone catch that?

Awesome series BTW!
    Last edited by jcmayo; 06-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pingpong2 View Post
    Sweep LA
    Booooo.

I really like this version of the Dodgers that doesn't score any runs. Makes it much easier to beat them.

It was complete dominance by the Giants. Dodgers just didnt have it. Hey, not going to say Timmy is back, but where are all those hatters that said "Timmy lost it, Kershaw is better"? Timmy completely dominated your team today.

LETS GO GIANTS! BEAT LA!!! (oh wait, they did)

Quote Originally Posted by BowDowntoWashington View Post
    Jon Miller is God awful. A lot of people in Baltimore hated him too. I wonder what took ESPN so long to get rid of Miller and Morgan. Dan Shulman is a million times better than Miller.

Krukow and Kuiper aren't terrible, but they certainly aren't top tier announcers. Vin Scully, Marty Brennaman, Bob Uecker, and Shulman are great announcers.
    Actually we can quantify this kind of thing, and guess what, Giants fans aren't just homers for thinking their announcers are great. Fangraphs did a poll on the best baseball broadcasters. Kruk and Kuip came in 3rd among TV crews (behind only Vin Scully and the Mets guys):

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...kings-tv-10-1/

And Jon Miller was first among radio guys:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...gs-radio-10-1/

Averaging out the TV and radio crews you'd probably have to say the Giants broadcast team as a whole would be #1. (Vin Scully is awesome, but the other Dodger announcers aren't so good.)

One thing I will say about Miller is that his time on ESPN with Joe Morgan doesn't really do him justice. He's a different experience on the radio (which he's best suited for, IMO) and when partnered with Flemming or Krukow rather than Morgan.

Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    Actually we can quantify this kind of thing, and guess what, Giants fans aren't just homers for thinking their announcers are great. Fangraphs did a poll on the best baseball broadcasters. Kruk and Kuip came in 3rd among TV crews (behind only Vin Scully and the Mets guys):

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...kings-tv-10-1/

And Jon Miller was first among radio guys:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...gs-radio-10-1/

Averaging out the TV and radio crews you'd probably have to say the Giants broadcast team as a whole would be #1. (Vin Scully is awesome, but the other Dodger announcers aren't so good.)

One thing I will say about Miller is that his time on ESPN with Joe Morgan doesn't really do him justice. He's a different experience on the radio (which he's best suited for, IMO) and when partnered with Flemming or Krukow rather than Morgan.

That's the thing with the Giants broadcast team. They just flow with each other and it's awesome watching them broadcast together. Scully by himself might be amazing in your eyes - but a guy talking by himself is pretty boring in my opinion. Sure there are others but you guys just dont have that flow.

Ultimately however I think this is completely a bias thing. You listen to so many baseball games with the same broadcast team each game to the point where you just become accustomed to your own team's broadcaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian The Cal Bear View Post
    That's the thing with the Giants broadcast team. They just flow with each other and it's awesome watching them broadcast together. Scully by himself might be amazing in your eyes - but a guy talking by himself is pretty boring in my opinion. Sure there are others but you guys just dont have that flow.

Ultimately however I think this is completely a bias thing. You listen to so many baseball games with the same broadcast team each game to the point where you just become accustomed to your own team's broadcaster.
    One of the nice things about the Giants broadcast team vs others is that they are actually pretty tame on the homer gauge. If the umps made a poor or questionable call that benefited the Giants (e.g. the ball that was called foul in yesterday's game), those guys will point it out and acknowledge that it was a bad call. It peeves me when announcers are blatant homers, even for teams I like (Drew Remenda, I'm looking at you).

Of course, the entire Celtics broadcast team takes the cake by combining the most blatant case of homerism with the most comprehensive misunderstanding of basketball rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian The Cal Bear View Post
    It was complete dominance by the Giants. Dodgers just didnt have it. Hey, not going to say Timmy is back, but where are all those hatters that said "Timmy lost it, Kershaw is better"? Timmy completely dominated your team today.

LETS GO GIANTS! BEAT LA!!! (oh wait, they did)
    I'd back away from "dominance" and consider it Dodger futility. Man, you don't talk this way about Cal. Cannon had it right - Dodgers and Giants are both lucky they are in this sorry division. Nothing to really crow wildly about unless you are into pillow fights.

Why is a baseball thread kept in 'Football Growls?
    Grossly OT
    This thread is posted solely to irritate Bear fans in SoCal

I'd back away from "dominance" and consider it Dodger futility. Man, you don't talk this way about Cal. Cannon had it right - Dodgers and Giants are both lucky they are in this sorry division. Nothing to really crow wildly about unless you are into pillow fights.
    What's with the "sorry division" thing? Seems to me the NL West has been about in the middle when it comes to MLB divisions in recent years. It's certainly not worse than either Central division.

Wow, typical LA fan mentality: when your team starts sucking, you jump off the wagon and start bashing on your own team (which i guess in this case - the division in general)... How is holding your opponents to no scores for 27 innings - not dominance?

The NL West is always competitive, especially going down the stretch in the second half. You always have 3/5 teams competing for it towards the end. It's like the Pac-12 in football. People always bash on us because we are no SEC (AL East in this case) but we are always competitive.