Page 1 of 302 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: cal's monster class

cal's monster class

how did the bears get to this position where we might have an epic dream team collection of 4&5 star ballers/friends who might potentially lead cal to the final 4?

monty recongized that while jay john (formerly lute olson's tactical right arm) is a strong technician and teacher that the bears recruiting needed a jump start particularly as monty is not going to attend 200 hs/aau games a year...as recruits seemingly expect coaches to attend every game, recruiting has become a young coach's game...so monty moved john to the asst ad for basketball development which freed up the bears to have 3 tireless and relentless road warriors on the recruiting trail: decuire, gottlieb and monty jr

next move was to promote travis decuire to associate head coach...imo decruire will be the next head bb coach at cal...should be noted that when bird called to commit he called decuire 1st and then monty...numerous recruits including both bird and matthews have mentioned their strong relationships with decruire

then monty hired the perfect graduate manager, theo robertson (played tenancious d/consumate team player/high achievement student)...young players/recruits have already gravitated toward this likely future asst coach

roster clearing with the transfers of murray and rossi who both could see the handwriting on the wall that they were never going to play any meaningful minutes on sweet 16 and better teams...it should be pointed out that both are hardworking kids and that that they left in good academic standing which means the apr hit for cal will be minimzed

sami not qualifying by a mile (or a kilometer for that matter) also opened up another spot

so the bears are now left with 12 scholly players on the roster (13 allowed by the ncaa) with bak bak, smith and the thurminator all graduating which means we currently have 4 schollys to offer for 2013

with the humble ringleader bird and his dad carl in the fold, matthews (interested in haas biz ad, dad is an asst coach at ucla/former usf hc) hopefully commiting this weekend during his official visit, lee's mother (moms know best) favoring cal the most and the bears still in the running for singer (over 30 ppg avg as a jr, nov 10th official visit), german export/import schilling, blue collar jones, hamilton and maybe brown (dad is the lakers hc) and of course the grand prize, gordon, cal recruiting is in a potentially spectacular position for success

you think the powe, ubaka, kately, and mcguire class was comparable?...other than ayinde, the rest were marginal students (and this is not a knock on leon powe whose unsettled early years are a source of inspiration in beating the odds) and the inevitable transfers/nba departures ensued

bird has a gpa over 3.00 and matthews rocks a 3.55 gpa...lee has a 3.2 gpa with an interest in child psychology with english & history as his best subjects and considered duke, gordon had stanford on his list, singer has a 3.4 gpa at an academically tough hs and is also considering both stanford and harvard...monty and decuire are recruiting great student athletes, not just great basketball players like braun's earlier class

2014 is also shaping up with the early commit from amhaad rorie, a seatle pg who is blowing up on the national scene with a 25 ppg avg as only a soph and a heady 3.8 gpa

hopefully local 5 star ivan rabb from bod will decide to be the ringleader for the 2015 class

#1 ranked public university in the world-university of california, berekeley

dominoes baby#

haas will be rocking again...go beers!
    Last edited by Shocky1; 09-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.

GoldenYears
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
    how did the bears get to this position where we might have an epic collection of 4-5 star ballers/friends who might potentially lead cal to the final 4?

monty recongized that while jay john (formerly lute olson's right arm) is a strong technician and teacher that the bears recruiting needed a jump start particularly as monty is not going to attend 200 hs/aau games a year...as recruits seemingly expect coaches to attend every game recruiting has become a young coach's game...so monty moved john to the director of basketball operations which freed up the bears to have 3 road warriors on the recruiting trail: decuire, gottlieb and monty jr

next move was to promote decuire to associate head coach...imo decruire will be the next head bb coach at cal...should be noted that when bird called to commit he called decuire 1st and then monty...numerous recruits have mentioned their strong relationships with decruire

roster clearing with the transfers of murray and rossi who both were never going to play any meaningful minutes on sweet 16 and better teams...both hardworking kids it should be pointed out that they left in good academic standing which means the apr hit for cal will be minimzed

sami not qualifying by a mile also opened up another spot

so the bears are now left with 12 scholly players on the roster (13 allowed by the ncaa) with bak bak, smith and the thurminator all graduating which means we currently have 4 schollys to offer

with bird in the fold, matthews hopefully commiting this weekend during his visit, lee's mother liking cal the most and the bears still in the running for singer, jones, hamilton and the grand prize, gordon, cal recruiting is a potentially epic position for success

you think the powe, ubaka, kately, and mcguire class was great...other than ubaka, the rest were marginal students (and this is not a knock on leon powe whose unsettled early years are a source of inspiration in beating the odds) and the inevitable transfers/departures ensued

bird has a gpa over 3.00...lee has a 3.2 gpa with an interest in child psychology with english and history as his best subjects, gordon has stanford on his list, singer is 3.4 gpa at a academically tough hs...monty and decuire are recruiting great student athletes, not just great basketball players like braun's earlier class

Technically, Jay John is the Assistant Athletic Director for Basketball Development. Don't know if that has the same job responsibilities as what Gregg Gottlieb was doing last year or not.

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-bas...062212aaa.html

I think roster clearing suggests more than Montgomery was forcing those kids out. I haven't read anything that suggests anything other than that they left of their own volition, though perhaps one could make the argument that their lack of playing time "forced" them off the team. But on any 13 man team, 4-5 guys aren't going to be happy about their playing time.

great post but at this point, i would title the thread as "potential" monster class, but i too am very excited about the possibilities and direction of this program!

Very premature, but I would be happy to give Decuire a shot at head coach. He's learning from one of the best.

Is Theo allowed to go on recruiting trips?

GoldenYears
    I wouldn't think so - he's not a coach. I guess he must be allowed to host when they come for a visit though.

how did the bears get to this position where we might have an epic collection of 4-5 star ballers/friends who might potentially lead cal to the final 4?

monty recongized that while jay john (formerly lute olson's right arm) is a strong technician and teacher that the bears recruiting needed a jump start particularly as monty is not going to attend 200 hs/aau games a year...as recruits seemingly expect coaches to attend every game recruiting has become a young coach's game...so monty moved john to the director of basketball operations which freed up the bears to have 3 road warriors on the recruiting trail: decuire, gottlieb and monty jr

next move was to promote decuire to associate head coach...imo decruire will be the next head bb coach at cal...should be noted that when bird called to commit he called decuire 1st and then monty...numerous recruits have mentioned their strong relationships with decruire

roster clearing with the transfers of murray and rossi who both were never going to play any meaningful minutes on sweet 16 and better teams...both hardworking kids it should be pointed out that they left in good academic standing which means the apr hit for cal will be minimzed

sami not qualifying by a mile also opened up another spot

so the bears are now left with 12 scholly players on the roster (13 allowed by the ncaa) with bak bak, smith and the thurminator all graduating which means we currently have 4 schollys to offer

with bird in the fold, matthews hopefully commiting this weekend during his visit, lee's mother liking cal the most and the bears still in the running for singer, jones, hamilton and the grand prize, gordon, cal recruiting is a potentially epic position for success

you think the powe, ubaka, kately, and mcguire class was great...other than ubaka, the rest were marginal students (and this is not a knock on leon powe whose unsettled early years are a source of inspiration in beating the odds) and the inevitable transfers/departures ensued

bird has a gpa over 3.00...lee has a 3.2 gpa with an interest in child psychology with english and history as his best subjects, gordon has stanford on his list, singer is 3.4 gpa at a academically tough hs...monty and decuire are recruiting great student athletes, not just great basketball players like braun's earlier class

Murray saw the writing on the wall, but Rossi, as Moraga has noted, had serious family issues and needed to be closer to home.

Who is Jones?

I've noted before DeCuire's part in landing (and retaining) Crabbe, Solomon, Wallace, and Rorie. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get a chance in 2016. Continuity would be huge too with John Monty and hopefully Theo then on the staff. Theo may not get to go out recruiting, but he'll be a valuable guy to have interact with recruits on campus visits.

Re: Who Is Jones?

Expect it's Torren Jones, Lee's AAU teammate.

Hard not to get excited about the possibilities, although now if the rest of this class gets filled out with 3 stars it'll end up being disappointing. Regardless, I'm enjoying Cal recruiting being a national story:

yahoo sports on Cal and Jabari Bird

Let's hope UDUB does not offer to triple DeCuire's salary the week before signing day.

Quote Originally Posted by RealDrew2 View Post
    Let's hope UDUB does not offer to triple DeCuire's salary the week before signing day.
    and give him a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenYears View Post
    I wouldn't think so - he's not a coach. I guess he must be allowed to host when they come for a visit though.
    This is correct. However, I am curious whether, as a Soldiers alum, Theo can attend all the local Soldiers games, talk with the coaches and players when there and not be considered "recruiting" by the NCAA?

Theo and recruiting

I think there was a question somewhere asking whether Theo can recruit, and the answer was yes

Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    This is correct. However, I am curious whether, as a Soldiers alum, Theo can attend all the local Soldiers games, talk with the coaches and players when there and not be considered "recruiting" by the NCAA?
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    how did the bears get to this position where we might have an epic dream team collection of 4-5 star ballers/friends who might potentially lead cal to the final 4?

monty recongized that while jay john (formerly lute olson's tactical right arm) is a strong technician and teacher that the bears recruiting needed a jump start particularly as monty is not going to attend 200 hs/aau games a year...as recruits seemingly expect coaches to attend every game recruiting has become a young coach's game...so monty moved john to the asst ad for basketball development which freed up the bears to have 3 tireless and relentless road warriors on the recruiting trail: decuire, gottlieb and monty jr

then the bears hired the perfect graduate manager, theo robertson (played tenancious d/consumate team player/high achievement student)...young players/recruits have already gravitated toward this likely future asst coach

roster clearing with the transfers of murray and rossi who both could see the handwriting on the wall that they were never going to play any meaningful minutes on sweet 16 and better teams...it should be pointed out that both are hardworking kids and that that they left in good academic standing which means the apr hit for cal will be minimzed

sami not qualifying by a mile (or a kilometer for that matter) also opened up another spot

so the bears are now left with 12 scholly players on the roster (13 allowed by the ncaa) with bak bak, smith and the thurminator all graduating which means we currently have 4 schollys to offer for 2013

with bird in the fold, matthews (dad is an asst coach at ucla) hopefully commiting this weekend during his official visit, lee's mother liking cal the most and the bears still in the running for singer (over 30 pts avg per game in hs), jones, hamilton and maybe brown (dad is the lakers hc) and of course the grand prize, gordon, cal recruiting is a potentially spectacular position for success

you think the powe, ubaka, kately, and mcguire class was comparable?...other than ayinde, the rest were marginal students (and this is not a knock on leon powe whose unsettled early years are a source of inspiration in beating the odds) and the inevitable transfers/nba departures ensued

bird has a gpa over 3.00...lee has a 3.2 gpa with an interest in child psychology with english & history as his best subjects and considered duke, gordon had stanford on his list, singer has a 3.4 gpa at a academically tough hs and is also considering both stanford and harvard...monty and decuire are recruiting great student athletes, not just great basketball players like braun's earlier class

dominoes baby

Shocky1, I say this respectfully though I like the way you're thinking - WAY too soon.

Obviously premature, but I appreciated the insight around Monty rebuilding the coaching staff. Seems downright progressive for the old man.
    I know that others have commented on this, but when Monty was hired my first thought was the quality of player he could bring to Cal given his pedigree and the environment in Berkeley. Then the first few years and only a couple of real high quality athletes. Hopefully Monty got his swag back, and Bird's commitment is a sign of things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    I think there was a question somewhere asking whether Theo can recruit, and the answer was yes
    At the re-seating event, I asked him and Theo told me himself he cannot go out and recruit, can't contact recruits, but said he will be very involved when a recruit steps onto campus for a visit. That is consistent with my understanding of the limitations placed on the GA position.

The question I raised is whether those limitations would prevent him from attending Soldiers games as an alum. I would think not.