Page 13 of 285 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: cal's monster class

Quote Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
    ...and hopefully, Cal with a "C" is the decision rendered.
    korrections made, no disrespect intended for kameron

regardless of the decision, it certainly appears that kr is receiving strong guidance from his family...as a longtime nba veteran and now phx suns developmental league coach, kr's dad sean has no mirage like illusions re: the difficulty (and then avg length of career) of playing in the league

smart (and successful) people ALWAYS have a back up plan

a mind is a terrible thing to waste

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

j bird scores 18 pts (9 fgs) in tonight's salesian (6-1) victory over moreau catholic 65-44

this sets up tomorrow's night 7:30 pm tilt between norcal's 2 all americans jabari bird vs aaron gordon (archbishop mitty)...if you live in the bay area and are only going to attend 1 hs game this year, this might be your best option (grab a top dog after the cal game and head on over or better yet carpool with monty & decuire)

with monty sr sitting courtside at cal state east bay tonight, salesian hs under the masterful coaching of hc (and former cal grad) bill mellis kicked azz on archbishop mitty in a surprising 72-51 blowout with the pride leading by as much as 30 in the 4th quarter

all american #23 jabari bird outplayed fellow all american #32 aaron gordon in nor cal's best match up of the season (until the playoffs)

jb had 19 pts (including a perfect 6-6 fts, 1 3-pter) and 9 boards along with an intense defensive effort while ag had 18 pts (with a clunky 1-4 fts, 0 3-pter) and 10 boards and a vague interest in team defense

playing d the entire game>throwing down a helicopter highlight reel dunk
    winning>losing

salesian hs=home of championship cal student athletes=javid, tags and soon bird
    Last edited by Shocky1; 12-25-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
    with monty sr sitting courtside at cal state east bay tonight, salesian hs under the masterful coaching of hc (and former cal grad) bill mellis kicked azz on archbishop mitty in a surprising 72-51 blowout with the pride leading by as much as 30 in the 4th quarter

all american #23 jabari bird outplayed fellow all american #32 aaron gordon in nor cal's best match up of the season (until the playoffs)

jb had 19 pts and 9 boards along with an intense defensive effort while ag had 18 pts and 10 boards and a vague interest in team defense

playing d the entire game>throwing down a helicopter highlight reel dunk
    winning>losing

salesian hs=home of championship student athletes=javid, tags and soon bird
    Interesting, thanks, Shocky1.

As stats of JB and AG were similar, it would be good if you could give more detail.

Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post

As stats of JB and AG were similar, it would be good if you could give more detail.

Go Bears!
    The Bird and Gordon matchup was a push. Salesian was the quicker, deeper team and penetrated at will. If I was Mitty's coach, I would have played more zone and put the big guy closer to the hoop, instead of guarding Bird.

Gordon is an impressive 6'8", with good handles for a big guy and fast too. His man to man defense is underrated....Salesian went to Bird early and he could not shake Gordon, forcing Bird into a turnover or two. Mitty would have been better served if they kept Gordon near the basket, both on offense and defense.

Bird is silky smooth. Picked up a loose ball, perhaps stealing it from Gordon underneath, went coast to coast and finished with a nice dunk just ahead of Gordon. Nice and easy....Bird just kind of glided through the air and boom...slammed it home. He had another nice dunk where it seemed like he hung in the air, pulled the ball back while waiting for all the hands to clear and then two handed it through the hoop.

He showed his range, hitting a three from the corner and is very good free throw shooter....I believe 8-8 from the line. Can't wait to see Bird at Cal next season.

I also saw Mike Phelps, one of the Bay Area's finest high school BB coaches, at the game. He was in a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post

Go Bears!
    great players impose their will upon the game

for this one game (which does not define ag), he played in spurts (an all american player of his length should have at least 15+ boards against hs competition if they play with a relentless passion) and seemed to accept the blowout in the 2nd half

jyamada, do you feel that ag brought it in the 2nd half?

bringing it every game in this season, jordan matthews popped (sp?) in 21 pts yesterday as santa monica went on the road to beat la jolla country day 60-40

talking about a bear who wore his heart on his sleeve, got to talk with one of my favorite pgs jerome randall on the floor of haas after yesterday's game...guy looks like a mini mike tyson with the gap in his teeth and his million $ smile

vegas baby

great players impose their will upon the game

for this one game (which does not define ag), he played in spurts (an all american player of his length should have at least 15+ boards against hs competition if they play with a relentless passion) and seemed to accept the blowout in the 2nd half

jyamada, do you feel that ag brought it in the 2nd half?

bringing it every game in this season, jordan matthews popped (sp?) in 21 pts yesterday as santa monica went on the road to beat la jolla country day 60-40

talking about a bear who wore his heart on his sleeve, got to talk with one of my favorite pgs jerome randall on the floor of haas after yesterday's game...guy looks like a mini mike tyson with the gap in his teeth and his million $ smile

vegas baby
    In 2nd half, Gordon was PG bringing up ball... this was coaches decision....as Mitty came into 2nd half 10 down, but were 20 down 3 minutes into 3rd. (Gordon handles the ball very good for being 6 8 power forward/center)

As good as Gordon is, no need for him to be PG bringing ball up, but would iso him on low block without weak side help by adding in O schemes to pick and roll and moving 4 from weak side block up to weak side wing/foul line area to get weak side help out of area.

Bird did not outplay Gordon, they are both very good..and one on one, Gordon was tough on Bird to create space.. (early on in game, Bird was 0 for 2, with 2 TO due to Gordon's D, but settled down after 4 or 5 minutes into game)
    Since Bird is a wing, Gordon guarding Bird, took Gordon away from paint.. would have taken Gordon off Bird and have him guard the 4 and roam the paint preventing Salesian's guards from having their way in the paint.
    Last edited by gobears; 12-23-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Gordon/Bird

Gordon sounds like his future in the NBA is at SF, while Bird is a 2. Their game is different, and although they matched up against each other at times, it was more about putting your best athlete on the other team's best athlete.

The fact that the game was a blow out means that it's really hard to compare them in this game. I would say that we've seen enough of both to say they will be very good college players.

If we are only going to sign one of the two, I would pick Bird every time. I'm not saying that Bird is the better basketball player. I really don't know. There are a lot of factors in my view.

For anyone who might think this is a dis on Gordon, it is not. He's probably the best player coming out of San Jose in decades. Also, anyone who thinks we have a shot at Gordon signing with Cal....I'd would just say that we don't, although maybe we do have a 1-1/2% shot.

I certainly don't like the prospect of facing him in conference, if he decides to go to UW or AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by gobears View Post
    In 2nd half, Gordon was PG bringing up ball... this was coaches decision....as Mitty came into 2nd half 10 down, but were 20 down 3 minutes into 3rd. (Gordon handles the ball very good for being 6 8 power forward/center)

As good as Gordon is, no need for him to be PG bringing ball up, but would iso him on low block without weak side help by adding in O schemes to pick and roll and moving 4 from weak side block up to weak side wing/foul line area to get weak side help out of area.

Bird did not outplay Gordon, they are both very good..and one on one, Gordon was tough on Bird to create space.. (early on in game, Bird was 0 for 2, with 2 TO due to Gordon's D, but settled down after 4 or 5 minutes into game)
    Since Bird is a wing, Gordon guarding Bird, took Gordon away from paint.. would have taken Gordon off Bird and have him guard the 4 and roam the paint preventing Salesian's guards from having their way in the paint.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

an apparently injured jordan matthews played limited minutes as santa monica (9-3) cruised by moorpark 72-53 in the opening round of the holiday hardwood invitational at oaks christian hs

jm's bro jonah, 6'1" & 150 lbs, is a fr (class of 2016) will be a potential bears prospect as his body and game develop...by all indications, jonah will be an exceptional student athlete like jm (3.55 gpa)

at 6'3" & 195 lbs, jm passes the eyeball test
    Last edited by Shocky1; 12-26-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Ahmaad Rorie playing very well- 23 in the first half today and 29 for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    Ahmaad Rorie playing very well- 23 in the first half today and 29 for the game.
    100% agreed ar is playing exceptionally well as a jr & 2014 pg commit to the bears

when posters mention some random pg that monty and co should be recruiting, hopefully they realize they the bears already have a potential all american (mickey d candidate for next season) commit who can already fill it up for 30 pts (as only a jr and also feeding a sr teammate who is heading to colorado next season) and is also a terrific student athlete (3.8 gpa)

as a "listed" 6' & 170 lbs, ar's d and finishing around the basket would benefit from his building his body to a legit 185 lbs for his arrival to berkeley and d1 pounding

unfortunately ar's lincoln squad lost to army/navy hs (carlsbad) 74-68 in the torrey pines classic opening round

zero % chance=ar missing the freezing azz winters in seattle when he heads to nor cal
    Last edited by Shocky1; 12-26-2012 at 07:51 PM.

all american jabari bird scored 23 pts in leading salesian to a 58-46 win over taft in the tpc

8-11 fgs (no forced shots)
    1-2 3 pters
    4-4 fts (silky stroke)
    7 boards
    only 1 turnover (stripped in the lane)
    jumped ball & won opening tip

most impressively is jb's maturity in allowing the game to come to him...jb will seamlessly complement obama, cobb salad, doc kravish and solo in the starting line with t-wall as the energy 6th man during what will potentially be an epic 2013 bears bb team

Bird

Maybe the best thing about Bird is his smart team play. This is a player with natural instinct. Can't wait to see him at Cal.

all american jabari bird scored 23 pts in leading salesian to a 58-46 win over taft in the tpc

8-11 fgs (no forced shots)
    1-2 3 pters
    4-4 fts (silky stroke)
    7 boards
    only 1 turnover (stripped in the lane)
    jumped ball & won opening tip

most impressively is jb's maturity in allowing the game to come to him...jb will seamlessly complement obama, cobb salad, doc kravish and solo in the starting line with t-wall as the energy 6th man during what will potentially be an epic 2013 bears bb team
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

all american jabari bird
    ...jb will seamlessly complement obama, cobb salad, doc kravish and solo in the starting line with t-wall as the energy 6th man during what will potentially be an epic 2013 bears bb team
    Would it be too much to ask you to explain the Crabbe-Obama comparison?
    Calm personality?
    Last edited by concordtom; 12-27-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Would it be too much to ask you to explain the Crabbe-Obama comparison?
    Calm personality?
    would someone please post photos of both the pac 12 current leading scorer at 20.4 ppg (only player over 20 pts) & the current president of the united states?

photos that preferably include their alferd e. neuman ears, what me worry?

a healthier jordan matthew scored 18 pts as santa monica squeaked by rancho verde (moreno valley) 46-42 in the oaks christian holiday hardwood tnt

at the tpc in san diego the del fuego amhaad rorie sizzled for 29 pts as lincoln outscored long beach jordan 80-77 in ot

kameron rooks pounded it inside for 22 pts as mission hills beat ocean view 61-54 also at the tpc