Page 2 of 267 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: cal's monster class

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    The question I raised is whether those limitations would prevent him from attending Soldiers games as an alum. I would think not.
    He is allowed to go to the Soldiers games. But he is required to wear these in the stands:

I think kudos are in order for Travis Decuire:

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-bas..._travis00.html

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    I think kudos are in order for Travis Decuire:

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-bas..._travis00.html
    +1 How do you pronounce his last name? Does it rhyme with McGuire?

thanks for posting kab

travis decuire is likely the most important person in cal athletics that most of us don't know a whole lot about...particulary impressive is the 2nd to last paragraph detailing his sigificant community service work

there is also a trend of decuire being slightly off the bright lights of broadway his entire career from his college playing days in montana, starting out as a hs coach, to coaching at a seattle jc, to being an asst at old dominion...guys with that underdog background are often mentally tough and willing to outwork everyone else to achieve their goals and then willing to humbly share the credit with others when they achieve their well deserved pinnacle of success

mrs lee and other potential bearents, is this the type of person you would entrust your son's athletic and academic (and maybe even spiritual) development during their collegiate experience?

reality means a lot of different things to different people...this is my reality, cal's monster recruiting class and virtually unlimited potential of these talented (and inexperienced) players when seamlessly bonded with our existing core of hardworking championship players and coached up by monty

what's your reality?

dominoes baby#
    Last edited by Shocky1; 09-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenplay View Post
    +1 How do you pronounce his last name? Does it rhyme with McGuire?
    per the media guide: duh-CURE

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
    thanks for posting kab

travis decuire is likely the most important person in cal athletics that most of us don't know a whole lot about...particulary impressive is the 2nd to last paragraph detailing his sigificant community service work

there is also a trend of decuire being slightly off the bright lights of broadway his entire career from his college playing days in montana, starting out as a hs coach, to coaching at a seattle jc, to being an asst at old dominion...guys with that underdog background are often mentally tough and willing to outwork everyone else to achieve their goals and then willing to humbly share the credit with others when they achieve their well deserved pinnacle of success

mrs lee and other potential bearents, is this the type of person you would entrust your son's athletic and academic (and maybe even spiritual) development during their collegiate experience?

reality means a lot of different things to different people...this is my reality, cal's monster recruiting class and virtually unlimited potential of these talented (and inexperienced) players when seamlessly bonded with our existing core of hardworking championship players and coached up by monty

what's your reality?

dominoes baby#
    Coach Decuire has always exuded class and integrity. I obviously don't know him day to day but the way he acts from watching him on the bench, he just seems to be a guy that is in control, respectful, and worthy of respect. Sorry to judge like that LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Coach Decuire has always exuded class and integrity. I obviously don't know him day to day but the way he acts from watching him on the bench, he just seems to be a guy that is in control, respectful, and worthy of respect. Sorry to judge like that LOL.
    I think the assumption of positive qualities for someone we don't know is always welcome.

kaboom!!!

jordan mathews 4 star combo commits to the bears and will sign in the nov signing period with ringleader bird

the monster class continues to gain momentum

blue collar banger toren jones to visit sept 29th and deadeye shooter sam singer to visit nov 10th

5 stars lee and gordon will be starting their in homes and official visits but the opportunity to be part of something special playing locally with their friends and in front of their families for every game at the #1 ranked public university in the world will be in their thoughts

the reality for lee and gordon is why would they go across the country to attend an academically inferior college (and a significantly devalued diploma should they ever get injured) in less enjoyable year round weather and play with huge ego guys they really don't know well and that might have shoot 1st/pass 2nd agendas that don't include them?...the economic reality is that plane tickets/car rentals/hotels and food costs for their families to visit and watch them play in socially backwards/non diverse towns like tuscon, louisville, lawrence, etc. is in the thousands of dollars for each trip vs 10 bucks in gas to see them play in berekley

family matters

dominoes baby#

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
    ...the economic reality is that plane tickets/car rentals/hotels and food costs for their families to visit and watch them play in socially backwards/non diverse towns like tuscon, louisville, lawrence, etc. is in the thousands of dollars for each trip vs 10 bucks in gas to see them play in berekley
    Come on, Shocky...An Arizona guy misspelling Tucson and a Cal grad misspelling Berkeley, while citing academics?

The kangaroo court fines you 3 beers for Oski.

Socially backwards?

Bird and Mathews AAU connection

The other positive for Cal recruiting, is we now have a high profile player from both the Oakland Solders and the California Supreme AAU teams.

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

[QUOTE=HoopDreams;841944880]The other positive for Cal recruiting, is we now have a high profile player from both the Oakland Solders and the California Supreme AAU teams.

Agreed. One of the bigger benefits is a local AAU pipeline. And to think I bought into the bitching than Monty was above all that ;-)

Need a second helping of Crow.

(Oh, now we just need to WIN! Cause Football is pretty much dead to me this year ;-)

Late Summer Surge

All the recent good news is wonderful.

Particularly I like it because I think it will end the negativity toward Monty that has been so prevalent.

We were lucky to get him and continue to be lucky to have him.

Glad that we can concentrate on speculations going forward that don't entail the issue of whether we want Monty or not.

Would be interesting to know if or how much a role Monty's extension played in the early commitments of Bird and Mathews.

I wouldn't be surprised if other programs had been trying to recruit against Cal with the idea that Monty would be retiring soon and wouldn't be there for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Would be interesting to know if or how much a role Monty's extension played in the early commitments of Bird and Mathews.

I wouldn't be surprised if other programs had been trying to recruit against Cal with the idea that Monty would be retiring soon and wouldn't be there for them.
    agreed and would also emphasize that the promotion of travis decuire is just as important in reassuring recruits that the program is on stable footing on a go forward basis

monty and decuire=championship basketball
    Last edited by Shocky1; 09-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.