Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet, Sweet Apathy

Sweet, Sweet Apathy

Anyone else enjoying their Saturdays more these days? I remember a few years ago, a loss would have been devastating - would have ruined my whole weekend. These days though, I have come to expect a loss. Cal gets within a TD in the third? No reason to get excited; I know there will be a turn over/missed field goal after centering the ball on third. It's been really nice. I don't get overly anxious. My blood pressure remains steady. Pupils remain constricted...The excitement is gone. I barely remember it. It's like Office Space.

Sweet, sweet apathy has finally kicked in - a big thanks to our coach Tedford. I bet I am not alone.
    Last edited by MolecularBear007; 09-29-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MolecularBear007 View Post
    Anyone else enjoying their Saturday's more these days? I remember a few years ago, a loss would have been devastating - would have ruined my whole weekend. These days though, I have come to expect a loss. Cal gets within a TD in the third? No reason to get excited; I know there will be a turn over/missed field goal after centering the ball on third. It's been really nice. I don't get overly anxious. My blood pressure remains steady. Pupils remain constricted...The excitement is gone. I barely remember it. It's like Office Space.

Sweet, sweet apathy has finally kicked in - a big thanks to our coach Tedford. I bet I am not alone.
    +1 ... you are not alone ... and I can't help but feel sorry for the anti-"negabears" who join Tedford in expecting Cal to go 5-3 the rest of the way hoping for a minor bowl with a 6-6 record.

ah ... the "good old days" when Cal had lousy facilities and a decent coach who won ... and now there are great facilities (if Sandy can pay for them) and that same coach who is a decent man but a woeful "coach".

Thanks for posting this. You post reminds me of myself 20 or 25 years ago. I lived and died with the 49ers.

The 49ers lost a playoff game, and I was devastated. But I decided then and there it was silly of me to let a football game control my life, and make me feel depressed for days.

Am I apathetic towards the 49ers now? No, I still enjoy watching their games. I just don't get all worked up during the games, nor all depressed for days if they happen to lose.

I'm happier, and my blood pressure is better.

Anyone else enjoying their Saturday's more these days? I remember a few years ago, a loss would have been devastating - would have ruined my whole weekend. These days though, I have come to expect a loss. Cal gets within a TD in the third? No reason to get excited; I know there will be a turn over/missed field goal after centering the ball on third. It's been really nice. I don't get overly anxious. My blood pressure remains steady. Pupils remain constricted...The excitement is gone. I barely remember it. It's like Office Space.

Exactly how I feel. I wish I cared as much as I did before, but it's difficult when the product on the field is so inferior to what we had in the past. Time for a change in leadership. Ugh, it's never going to happen.

I'm right there with you. Maybe even a little more advanced. Past couple years = comfortably numb. Now, I'm indifferent.

Oh yeah. A lot of my Cal alum friends have kinda progressed the same way. Here's how their reaction to "Did you see the game? Can you believe how we lost?" has changed over the years.

2007 - "I can't believe we lost! Did you see that play! OMGWTFBBQ!"

2009 - "Yeah, I saw a little of it. Heard what happened. What a shame. Same old Bears."

2012 - "We lost? I was doing something else yesterday...."

Quote Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
    Oh yeah. A lot of my Cal alum friends have kinda progressed the same way. Here's how their reaction to "Did you see the game? Can you believe how we lost?" has changed over the years.

2007 - "I can't believe we lost! Did you see that play! OMGWTFBBQ!"

2009 - "Yeah, I saw a little of it. Heard what happened. What a shame. Same old Bears."

2012 - "We lost? I was doing something else yesterday...."
    Is that "oh my God, what the f**k, barbecue" - if so awesome!

For 2012 you may need to change it to - "We, won? Oh, I was rearranging my sock drawer yesterday..."

Quote Originally Posted by WhipItOutJoe View Post
    Is that "oh my God, what the f**k, barbecue" - if so awesome!

For 2012 you may need to change it to - "We, won? Oh, I was rearranging my sock drawer yesterday..."
    OMGWTFBBQ. My new favorite expression.

I guarantee everyone here has at least 3 friends who have gone through the steps I mentioned.

no bear
    Fake fans.

I officially joined the ranks yesterday.

This is how bad it now is: I always hope our players do well, much as we root for our kids, but secretly I kind of want us to lose in order to hasten Tedford's exit.

Weird analogy, but this reminds me of when the Sacramento Kings were a playoff team with Jason Williams - whom I HATED as a player by his last year. The guy would launch a three literally 3-4 seconds into the shot clock. He was our PG, and was doing nothing to distribute the ball, but was taking shots early in the clock that he could get at any time at all, he didn't even attempt to run an offense to get a good shot. Add to this the fact that he was a turnover machine in trying to get onto SportsCenter every night, and you had a hugely inefficient player. The similarity for me is that I started rooting for Williams to miss every three because I knew that success only guaranteed his continued stupid play. He wasn't going to change. In short, Tedford is my new Jason Williams.

The happy ending is as soon as they traded Williams for Mike Bibby, they improved leaps and bounds. Time to 'trade' Tedford.

2012 - attended the SJSU vs. SDSU football game! Seriously, it was much more exciting.

(on a side note, Katz is a much better QB than Maynard and the SJSU QB was solid, too)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
    I'm not there yet.
    Me neither, but my expectations are so low that it is almost equivalent. I'm more pi$$ed off and concerned than apathetic.

+1

I went to the bar here in Sacramento where the alumni group watched the game and I noticed that I was almost to a "Holmoe Level" where i began to think that if we really do go 1-11 or 2-10 (we can beat WSU) that someone might actually make a change. I kept having to whack myself since I cannot ever pull against the Bears, especially against USC.

But I left towards the end of the 3rd Quarter when the game wasn't hopeless, but I just KNEW we would lose and I got sick of watching Maynard's bad quarterbacking and JT's dumb decisions and miserable use of personnel. On the way home I turned on Starkey and walked into the house with about 8 minutes left and never even checked the game till 7:00 or 8:00 PM, because I knew of course.

I realized I had just reached the point where I just don't give a sh*t anymore...sad really.

GoldenYears
    Quote Originally Posted by freshfunk View Post
    Fake fans.
    Like most CGB'ers, you don't realize how unfunny and unclever you are.