Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any updates on Kreklow?

I don't know what they tell you in the clinic, but the MRI should only affect magnetic metals (usually iron alloys). If the screw is made from titanium or a no-magnetic stainless steel it shouldn't be a problem.

Again, I don't know what precautions the medical staff take regarding screws.

Loyal Bear

Precautions

Quote Originally Posted by running bear View Post
    I don't know what they tell you in the clinic, but the MRI should only affect magnetic metals (usually iron alloys). If the screw is made from titanium or a no-magnetic stainless steel it shouldn't be a problem.

Again, I don't know what precautions the medical staff take regarding screws.
    I cannot imagine that they are careless and uninformed in choices of screws. The physical properties being discussed are not abstruse information.

Actually, they did an x-ray but no mri.

There's no structural damage just inflamation and scar tissue issues.

The goal is a return for UNLV on the 9th but they won't rush him if he doesn't seem ready yet.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post

The goal is a return for UNLV on the 9th but they won't rush him if he doesn't seem ready yet.
    Great to hear!

Loyal Bear

Original Projection?

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post

MB, wasn't that the original plan, for him to be ready to play by the UNLV game?

If so, I would think that that might be early, given that Ricky has had a setback.

The last thing he needs is to turn this into a chronic condition...

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I cannot imagine that they are careless and uninformed in choices of screws. The physical properties being discussed are not abstruse information.
    Yes, but i had a friend with a stainless steel screw. He re-injured the area breaking the screw. The stainless steel has now undergone plastic deformation. Is it still in a non-magnetic phase? or has the plastic deformation facilitated a phase transformation to a magnetic phase? Normally you wouldn't care, but an MRI is one of those rare situations where you do (it has enough magnetic field to rip the screw out). Amusingly this situation came up in engineering gradschool at Cal, that's why we discussed it in such depth.

Moral to the story: ask for a titanium screw, it has no magnetic phases. And then keep the documentation on the screw.

Loyal Bear

Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by running bear View Post
    Yes, but i had a friend with a stainless steel screw. He re-injured the area breaking the screw. The stainless steel has now undergone plastic deformation. Is it still in a non-magnetic phase? or has the plastic deformation facilitated a phase transformation to a magnetic phase? Normally you wouldn't care, but an MRI is one of those rare situations where you do (it has enough magnetic field to rip the screw out). Amusingly this situation came up in engineering gradschool at Cal, that's why we discussed it in such depth.

Moral to the story: ask for a titanium screw, it has no magnetic phases. And then keep the documentation on the screw.
    There is more than basketball to learn about on this site.

Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    There is more than basketball to learn about on this site.

Thanks for the post.
    Thanks. I really don't have any information to post on recruiting or analyzing team play, but graduate level metallurgy is my area to shine.