Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halftime Bears up 31-20

The first road game can be difficult, especially with the high expectations we have for this team. The time change should be less of a factor by Sunday and I'll take our coaches over Duke's any day. Focus, discipline and our transition game could well carry the day over Duke. And I'm sure Foo would like to hang one on Chelsea.

Basketball I did not see the game but followed it...

http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-bas.../wbkcaoda.html

I'm glad that I didn't witness the debacle. Boyd played 8 minutes, Gray 5 & Lyles 2 before hitting the bench for the remainder of the first half w/ 2 fouls each.

Cal's initial offense of the game told the story. Brandon missed layup, Brandon offensive rebound, Brandon missed layup, Brandon offensive rebound & Brandon missed layup. No wonder Cal grabbed 66 rebounds. Somebody already pointed this out but the Bear's four posts collectively commited 15 turnovers without a single assist. The guards (Boyd, Clarendon & Pierre) didn't turn the ball over that much tonight...

Cal's shooting was worse in the 1st half from the field (36.8%) % and free throw shooting (42% ).

Someone recently inquired on this board if this team was "it": a final four team. Cal showed today that they are still capable of reverting back to the pitiful play exhibited on occasion last season. Granted that the team was "flat" today, awaiting Duke on Sunday. However, abysmal three point & free throw shooting, 25 turnovers plus 25 personal fouls clearly illustrated that the Bears can be blownout by a good team. Sunday's Cal performance should be instructive as to the potential for the remainder of the season.

GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 12-01-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Our bigs have always turned the ball over a lot

even back to the days of Hampton and Ashley.

Another note. Brandon was grabbing a lot of rebounds from everywhere. Especially the first half. They didn't shoot well from the field and they were not getting offensive rebounds.

Another note. If Brittany Boyd makes a dumb mistake, she will commit a foul in the next minute. She always tries too hard to make up for it.

The first 35 minutes, I was on Gametracker so I couldn't see things. But I could feel things. The last 5 minutes i watched on TV. And that may have been the best 5 minutes they played the entire game. In fact they looked pretty good.

Last note. Coming into this game Old Dominion was 38 in the sagarin. Not that that was the reason we played so poorly.

Geez.....reading this thread, I thought the Bears squeaked by with a 3-4 point victory. I read in today's paper they won 63-47. Come on, now, these are 19-21 year old young women, playing 3000 miles away on the road.....they play a little below their capabilities and still win by 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-bas.../wbkcaoda.html
    Cal's initial offense of the game told the story. Brandon missed layup, Brandon offensive rebound, Brandon missed layup, Brandon offensive rebound & Brandon missed layup. No wonder Cal grabbed 66 rebounds. Somebody already pointed this out but the Bear's four posts collectively commited 15 turnovers without a single assist. The guards (Boyd, Clarendon & Pierre) didn't turn the ball over that much tonight...

Cal's shooting was worse in the 1st half from the field (36.8%) % and free throw shooting (42% ).

Someone recently inquired on this board if this team was "it": a final four team. Cal showed today that they are still capable of reverting back to the pitiful play exhibited on occasion last season. Granted that the team was "flat" today, awaiting Duke on Sunday. However, abysmal three point & free throw shooting, 25 turnovers plus 25 personal fouls clearly illustrated that the Bears can be blownout by a good team. Sunday's Cal performance should be instructive as to the potential for the remainder of the season.

GO BEARS!
    In fairness, this was probably Brandon's worse game of the year. Hopefully this is an anomaly. I do love her aggressiveness, though bad hands and miss layups were very prevalent with her and team last year too.

I would be one that would never had labeled this as a possible "it" team. The bench is just too to small and I would had say there is probably only 7.5 people in coach G's rotation. The .5 being Justine because she is just not back where she belongs. this team still doesn't have consistency in outside shooting and interior passing to me is still not good, especially when the bigs are rolling towards the hoop. Our guards are just to slow to recognize and make the pass. We can go over the top on passes to our bigs which has been successful but then bigs have to be able to finish.

Brittany is still Brittany. Sometimes she has to know when to pull back and not get herself in foul trouble. She really, really, and really needs to work on a pull up jumper rather than go recklessly attacking the hoop and expecting to get foul! She should learn from Eliza. Eliza can drive but she also have a knack to just pull up and find a slight opening to get off her shot. Brittany is a pt guard with a (IMO) a shooter mentality.

Defense & speed no doubt are the team's strongest areas but there are just too many holes in other areas to be the 'it' team that we were hoping for.
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 12-01-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Coach G's post-game quotes:
    Nov. 30, 2012

Recap*|* Final Stats*|* Notes

California Head Coach Lindsay Gottlieb Thanks for being here. It was a great atmosphere. We appreciate the support. A Michelangelo it was not. A Picasso it was not. I don't think the basketball hall of fame is going to ask for film of this anytime soon. There were just a lot of missed shots on both sides, but I think that's a testament to how Old Dominion plays. I'm really impressed with the turnaround they've made in a year. This team is going to win a lot of games. We'll be rooting for them.

I liked our kids' toughness. I liked our resolve. We haven't been in this situation yet. We haven't been on the road. We haven't been tested this much. There are some great things for us to fix. We shot ourselves in the foot a little bit with free throws and turnovers, but it's a great learning experience. We're very happy to leave here with a win. We learned a lot from it. I'm proud of the way our kids hung in and pulled away at the end.
    More here: http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-bas...113012aaf.html
    Last edited by CalWBBFan; 12-01-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzbear View Post
    If Cal plays like this against a good team they deserve to lose by 50.
    As bad as we played, I would never hope we are defeated by 50! As bad as the football team was playing..did you have the same thoughts about them? I'm just saying...................
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 12-01-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    As bad as we played, I would never hope we are defeated by 50! As bad as the football team was playing..did you have the same thought about them? I'm just saying...................
    I agree. As for bad games, it's not the worst thing in the world to have one and have to adjust. Cal wanted to have a game scheduled prior to Duke for this very reason. I think, as Lindsay said in her post-game comments, that's there's a lot they can address before Sunday.

I've seen good teams have bad games on more than one occasion. Take it for what it is, experience. I have confidence the Bears will use this experience and build upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    Another note. If Brittany Boyd makes a dumb mistake, she will commit a foul in the next minute. She always tries too hard to make up for it.
    "Always"? I don't agree. Sometimes in her eagerness to make up for an error, Boyd does commit a foul or whatever, but it's also my impression that just as often she steals the ball for a fast-break or a smart assist.

ESPN captured this game in its 8 word headline.

Cal escapes Old Dominion in sloppy road debut

Basketball Yamada-it was 51-47 w 71/2 minutes left...

ODU never scored again. The opposition went 0-9 on treys but if they would have converted on a couple, they could have taken the lead. ODU had all of the momentum when they cut Cal's lead from 12 to 4...I didnt see it but ODU had approximately half the TOs that Cal did. The Bears were unimpressive.
    GO BEARS!

____________________________________________________________ _____
    Quote Originally Posted by jyamada View Post
    Geez.....reading this thread, I thought the Bears squeaked by with a 3-4 point victory. I read in today's paper they won 63-47. Come on, now, these are 19-21 year old young women, playing 3000 miles away on the road.....they play a little below their capabilities and still win by 16.

Surprised none of you mentioned....

[b]fundamentals!.....

Come toward the ball when being passed to.
    Do not force dribble through 3 bodies in front of you.
    For our post players: Find that spot on the backboard for your return shots (eye focus) and don't rush shots.

I am 75 years of age and i can still make more than 50% of my free throws--- (i know they are in game conditions).

Poor free throw shooting, foolish or unnecessary fouls and sound footwork on defense will keep this team from being what it can be.

And, please: Let's drop this "it team" #$@%! /b]

Surprised none of you mentioned....

[b]fundamentals!.....

Come toward the ball when being passed to.
    Do not force dribble through 3 bodies in front of you.
    For our post players: Find that spot on the backboard for your return shots (eye focus) and don't rush shots.

I am 75 years of age and i can still make more than 50% of my free throws--- (i know they are in game conditions).

Poor free throw shooting, foolish or unnecessary fouls and sound footwork on defense will keep this team from being what it can be.

And, please: Let's drop this "it team" #$@%! /b]