Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cal Duke Game Thread

Cal Duke Game Thread

Don't have video nor audio - but saw it was Duke 13 Cal 12 - went away for just a few minutes and return and now its Duke 34 - Cal 18. 2:14 to go in first half. I guess the Bears need to step it up for halftime.

Per Duke live stats - we are not shooting well - 7-31 Duke is 16-32.
    We've made 2-3 FT and are outrebounding Duke 21-18 (although our rebounds are split 10-11) and Cal has 11 to Duke's 6.

Live stats are at

http://www.goduke.com/newLiveStats/B...db_oem_id=4200

(Is it just my computer, or is that blue font annoyingly illegible?)

Bears 20, Duke 34 at half time. Seems like a rather messy game--the difference being that Duke's Jones and Liston are shooting well, and Cal is shooting terribly.

Adjustments, Lindsay? (Please!)

6:54 to go. Duke 56 Cal 39. Cal 15-52. Ugh.

Duke is now outrebounding Cal - 39-34
    Turnovers - cal 19 duke 16

That with the cold cold shooting is sinking the Bears.

and the final: Duke 77 Cal 63. Score was even for the second half - FWIW.
    Still some growing to do for the Bears...

Sigh. Should have, could have, would ...

They'll bounce back.

Kind of went like I expected

There is an elite group of about 6 teams. And we are just outside that loop.

only saw the stats

Looks like Brittany and Chelsea had quite a battle!
    Brittany 37 min, 28 pts, 7 stl
    Chelsea 33 min, 8 reb, 9 ast, 7-7 ft

We hit 6-11 threes but only 17-53 (32%) twos. Time to work on finishing.

Reshanda's line looks good, but she had 4 fouls in 21 minutes. Talia and Justine got just 1 rebound each.
    Last edited by stu; 12-02-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    There is an elite group of about 6 teams. And we are just outside that loop.
    Anything we should try to do from an XX's and OO's standpoint, or just try to get a high enough seed to avoid playing them until deeper in the tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Anything we should try to do from an XX's and OO's standpoint, or just try to get a high enough seed to avoid playing them until deeper in the tournament?
    Did you ever think there are better teams than them out there??? When will we emulate those teams?? Jeez, Is Cal now a swimming school. Even Rugby is playing sevens and we don't dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    Did you ever think there are better teams than them out there??? When will we emulate those teams?? Jeez, Is Cal now a swimming school. Even Rugby is playing sevens and we don't dominate.

Hyperbole much? Actually, in terms of overall success in athletics, I think Cal has a pretty impressive national profile (beyond swimming). Since Sandy's arrival we've been in the top ten in the Director's Cup for the past 6 out of 7 years (compare that with prior years). Many of our teams are consistently ranked in the top 20 (volleyball, soccer, field hockey, basketball, swimming, crew, etc) and several have been in the hunt for a NC of late including softball, volleyball, golf, tennis, and crew.

Our women's basketball program is on the rise. Certainly we are not yet in that top tier, but we are getting closer. There's no shame in that, no in the progress that's been made (first with Boyle, and now Coach G.)

Cal can be proud of the depth and breadth of its athletic success just as it can be proud of its academic standing (#1 among public institutions). Doesn't mean we can't aspire to greater heights, but certainly nothing to apologize for--and much to look forward to.

2012 Director's Cup press release:
    http://www.calbears.com/genrel/062712aab.html

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Unlike the men, in the first 2 rounds the higher seeds will get to play at home. Unless we collapse completely my guess we should at least get 1 or 2 games at home.

Speaking of home, I think it would have served us well, if we had played some local teams in away games rather than all 6 games at home. Playing our first games on the road Old Dominion (+3000) & Duke (+5000) with their fanatic fans really can be an adjustment to the team, no matter how veteran of a team we have.

We played St. Mary's last year on the road

We are also at Bakersfield soon. Not Bay Area but California team.

The interesting game I think will be the Northwestern game.

Quote Originally Posted by CalWBBFan View Post
    Hyperbole much? Actually, in terms of overall success in athletics, I think Cal has a pretty impressive national profile (beyond swimming). Since Sandy's arrival we've been in the top ten in the Director's Cup for the past 6 out of 7 years (compare that with prior years). Many of our teams are consistently ranked in the top 20 (volleyball, soccer, field hockey, basketball, swimming, crew, etc) and several have been in the hunt for a NC of late including softball, volleyball, golf, tennis, and crew.

Our women's basketball program is on the rise. Certainly we are not yet in that top tier, but we are getting closer. There's no shame in that, no in the progress that's been made (first with Boyle, and now Coach G.)

Cal can be proud of the depth and breadth of its athletic success just as it can be proud of its academic standing (#1 among public institutions). Doesn't mean we can't aspire to greater heights, but certainly nothing to apologize for--and much to look forward to.

2012 Director's Cup press release:
    http://www.calbears.com/genrel/062712aab.html
    You, in fact, are very right. It has been frustrating of late with FB and VB going flat, and then promise being developed in MBB and WBB, and have both of them slapped hard, early and often, in their first big road tests. Too much emotion in my post because of the weekend events.