Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside source tells me coach to be announced tomorrow

I'm going to pretend that Chris Petersen doesn't exist for a moment here. I have a feeling it's Diaco.

BC was after him pretty hardcore until they suddenly stopped. Wonder if he told them "no thanks" because he was in talks with Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    I'm going to pretend that Chris Petersen doesn't exist for a moment here. I have a feeling it's Diaco.

BC was after him pretty hardcore until they suddenly stopped. Wonder if he told them "no thanks" because he was in talks with Sandy.
    I would be thrilled if that was true.... also makes sense with my defensive minded coach theory

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar

My sadness in losing CP would be quickly remedied by the hiring of Diaco.

At around 6:20 tonight on KNBR, Tolbert says to Mike Silver something like, "Maybe by the time we talk to you next week, we can talk about who Cal hired as head coach." Silver responds something like, "Oh, I think we'll know a lot sooner than that," with a tone that suggested to me that he knows when the announcement is coming and that an announcement is imminent, like, tomorrow.

He further said essentially that Cal fans would be very happy with any of the possible choices. Of course, he would be very happy with Hue Jackson, so I don't think he knows what would make Cal fans very happy.

This seems very plausible. Of all today's hires, BC's was the most unexpected for me. Of course, it's also possible Diaco has his eye on Wisky.

Quote Originally Posted by liverflukes View Post
    Anyone seen AXLBear with his predictions lately?

Yeah, about that...
    Prediction. liverflukes will talk to a female that is not his mother....someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal8285 View Post
    At around 6:20 tonight on KNBR, Tolbert says to Mike Silver something like, "Maybe by the time we talk to you next week, we can talk about who Cal hired as head coach." Silver responds something like, "Oh, I think we'll know a lot sooner than that," with a tone that suggested to me that he knows when the announcement is coming and that an announcement is imminent, like, tomorrow.

He further said essentially that Cal fans would be very happy with any of the possible choices. Of course, he would be very happy with Hue Jackson, so I don't think he knows what would make Cal fans very happy.
    Well he does have a point ...excluding Hue J I'll be happy with any of the listed potential coaches... obviously a couple over others would make me thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgobears View Post
    my sadness in losing cp would be quickly remedied by the hiring of diaco.
    this this this this this

Quote Originally Posted by AXLBear View Post
    Prediction. liverflukes will talk to a female that is not his mother....someday.
    Nice call Triumph...
    70 Nobel Prizes, 9 Wolf Prizes, 7 Fields Medals, 15 Turing Awards, 45 MacArthur Fellowships, 20 Academy Awards and 11 Pulitzers. 16 chemical elements discovered-more than any other university in the world. 87 national titles in 15 sports including football, basketball, baseball, softball, crew, tennis, swimming, water polo, track and rugby. 274 individual national champions and 176 Olympic medals. Thereís only one Cal and itís in Berkeley.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    My sadness in losing CP would be quickly remedied by the hiring of Diaco.
    Clancy Pendergast will land on his feet.

Wake me when it's over...

Quote Originally Posted by chunkybear View Post
    This is from a close friend of mine. I will try to see if I can find out. I went to cal, graduated in 2010, grew up in the Bay Area and am a diehard fan, wouldn't make this up. Now, my source could be... but I'll see what I can learn.

I've been tantalized with cal like you all, I wouldn't make it up unless I was told something.

Will report later if I find out more.

I don't see the heartburn this would cause

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    This was the hunch of my source...Sandy went back to Notre Dame
    Think he would be a popular pick, even if he is not CP (who is mostly everyone's favorite). On the other hand, how do you know this is who it is? She apparently has interviewed a lot of folks. My guess is no announcement tomorrow.

I'll say what I said in chat yesterday when asked (many times...): The names I've heard the most are Petersen, Diaco and Dykes. I'd be fine with any of them, though I'd qualify that I'd only be comfortable with a strong DC with Dykes. He'd likely bring former UCLA DC and current NMSU HC DeWayne Walker, who's pretty solid on D and a strong recruiter, but not super-inspiring.

I'm not saying it will be one of them, just that they're thee ones I've been hearing the most buzz on in relation to the opening. And Wednesday was the estimate I've heard the most but by no means did anyone say that day was set in stone.

I honestly don't understand the deductive abilities of some people. The, "Uh oh. That means..." when what's cited means squat in most cases. The, "I have a feeling" comments based on little to nothing are growing pretty tired, too.

I understand all the interest. It's a fun game to play. But getting tangled up in knots I don't understand.

I have faith in Sandy to make a good decision. I think she's been going about it in the right way.

Of the candidates out there, one of the few I'm not particularly interested in is Hue Jackson and that's not because I don't think he'd win here. I think he probably would. I just think it would be a bumpy ride and probably wouldn't last too long and I could see him have a revolving door of coaches with pro backgrounds that move around a lot and that's not good for the program.

I particularly like Petersen, Diaco and MacIntyre and have some interest in DeRuyter, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    I particularly like Petersen, Diaco and MacIntyre and have some interest in DeRuyter, too.
    I have a similar list though I would have Diaco at about the same place or slightly behind DeRuyter.

Have we even interviewed DeRuyter? He seems to be lost behind the rumor pile and I hope he's still being considered.