Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cal college QB vs. USC NFL QB

Quote Originally Posted by RaphaelAglietti View Post
    Frankly I'd take the stance that Cal will have a QB that does well in college before USC has one that does well in the pros because I firmly beleive that Zach Kline is better than any QB that USC has on its roster save for Barkley.

Now as for Barkley I really don't think he's going to be successful and it goes back to my original theory as to why the best QBs tend to come from programs that are considered decent/middle of the road.

Qbs at top schools are surround with talent so they don't have to rely and develop their own skills as much as QBs who are at schools where the talent alone can't win most of the games.

So when those USC qbs are thrust into dire situations with massive adversity they fail because they've rarely, if ever, been in a position where they were massively outgunned.

Barkley did suffer from less than stellar oline play but he also had quite possibly the best two receivers that USC has had on the field at the same time in Marquise Lee and Robert Woods.

Look at the top QBs in the NFL
    Aaron Rodgers - Cal
    Eli Manning - Ole Miss
    Peyton Manning - Tennessee
    Rothlisberger - Ohio U.
    Luck - Stanford
    RG III - Baylor
    Matt Ryan - BC
    Tom Brady - Michigan

Only Peyton and Brady are from a traditional powerhouse schools and Brady was completely off the radar.

If we take the top ten winningest college schools
    USC
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Oklahoma
    Ohio St.
    Texas
    Alabama
    Nebraska
    Tennesse
    FSU/Penn St.

only Tenn and Mich have top QBS in the NFL.

USC hasn't ever had a top QB in the NFL
    Notre Dame had Joe Montana and Theismann
    Michigan has had Brady
    Oklahoma, Ohio St., Texas, Nebraska, FSU, Penn St. haven't had a top notch QB
    Alabama hasn't had a top QB since Kenny Stabler
    Interresting post!!! But let's wait until Kline actually wins the starting job at Cal.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Wittek is a stud. He's gonna be a monster at $C.

Not sure what your point is

Quote Originally Posted by Tedhead03 View Post
    Maybe if I phrase it another way, it will make more sense. Is Cal likely to get a QB who performs well in COLLEGE before USC is likely to get a QB to perform well in the NFL? Assuming Barkley turns out to be yet another dud at the pro level, I like our chances with Kline beginning with next season.

Obviously is it easier to find a college QB than a NFL QB. Is this a slam against Cal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tedhead03 View Post
    Seeing Sanchez burnout in NY made me think what's more likely to happen, Cal delivers a good college QB or USC delivers a good NFL QB? I'm biased, but I'm thinking it's got to be Cal, right? The current USC NFL QBs are horrible, and I doubt Barkley pans out. That should give us a couple of years to turn things around on our end.
    I must admit I do get a good chuckle when I think of $C QBs in the pros. Look at the most recent lineage - Sanchez, Leinart, Cassel (though he barely counts since he didn't ever play in college), Palmer. They are the WORST signal callers in the turnover category in the NFL. That kid Rodgers is pretty good, by comparison, eh?

Add to that the legacy of some of the other over-hyped and overrated QBs like Marijuanavich and it adds up to a big flopski on the national stage. Throw in one of the worst "cant miss" running backs in Reggie Bush-league, roid-ravaged Brian Cushing in Houston and the Toejams have some high profile misses as pro prospects. For the "school" that calls itself the "pipeline to the NFL", they may have to reconsider.

GO BEARS!!!

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOther1BTF View Post
    "Zach Kline is better than any QB that USC has on its roster save for Barkley"

Really??? based opwpwn what???
    You could have responded to that one bit of Raphael's well-thought out post without quoting the entire post. Silly Toejam.
    Last edited by GranadaHillsBear; 12-26-2012 at 07:51 AM.

He's smarter then Sanchez. Try Drew Brees with less athleticism.

Dork!!!!
    He's clearly dumber than Sanchez. At least Sanchez left early to get paid. Barkley blew it by coming back and getting exposed as a fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Etchebeary View Post
    Here's a question:

If Johnny Manziel had chosen Cal and been an eligible QB this season, would Tedford have been stupid enough to play Maynard AGAIN simply because he was an experienced senior?

My guess is that Manziel would've spent the entire season picking pine splinters off his ass.
    agree. I don't think there's any way Manziel would have started.

Loyal Bear

What about Vince Ferragamo?

USC has sent one more QB to the NFL.

Hey guys!!! How many Cal QB's have played in the Rose Bowl????

USC QB that have played in the NFL

1) Mark Sanchez
    2) Carson Palmer
    3) Matt Leinart
    4) Sean Salisbury
    5) Rodney Peete
    6) Pat Haden
    7) Matt Cassel
    8) Bill Nelsen
    9) Pete Beathard
    10) Vince Evans,
    11) Paul McDonald
    12) Todd Marinovich
    13) Rob Johnson
    14) John David Booty.

Cal QB that have played in the NFL

1) Bob Celeri
    2) Paul Larson
    3) Craig Morton
    4) Joe Kapp
    5) Steve Bartkowski
    6) Rich Campbell
    7) Gale Gilbert
    8) Troy Taylor
    9) Perry Klein
    10) Dave Barr
    11) Pat Barnes
    12) Kyle Boller
    13) Aaron Rodgers
    If you're going to count Perry Klein who went from Cal to C.W. Post, then you have to count Vince Ferragamo who went from Cal to Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by WantARoseBowlB4IDie View Post
    I must admit I do get a good chuckle when I think of $C QBs in the pros. Look at the most recent lineage - Sanchez, Leinart, Cassel (though he barely counts since he didn't ever play in college), Palmer. They are the WORST signal callers in the turnover category in the NFL. That kid Rodgers is pretty good, by comparison, eh?

Add to that the legacy of some of the other over-hyped and overrated QBs like Marijuanavich and it adds up to a big flopski on the national stage. Throw in one of the worst "cant miss" running backs in Reggie Bush-league, roid-ravaged Brian Cushing in Houston and the Toejams have some high profile misses as pro prospects. For the "school" that calls itself the "pipeline to the NFL", they may have to reconsider.

GO BEARS!!!
    Cushing's generally regarded as a key player on the Texans I think. It turned out Clay Matthews ended up doing better than him so far in the league despite being rated lower but Cushing hasn't been a flop by any means. Now someone like Taylor Mays on the other hand...

USC is a pipeline to the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by WantARoseBowlB4IDie View Post

GO BEARS!!!
    Probably why so many mediocre talents from USC managed to play downs in the NFL. Those guys wouldn't have had the hype without the USC name behind them. Who should reconsider would be the NFL teams that keep buying into this hype.

USC has sent one more QB to the NFL.

Hey guys!!! How many Cal QB's have played in the Rose Bowl????

USC QB that have played in the NFL

1) Mark Sanchez
    2) Carson Palmer
    3) Matt Leinart
    4) Sean Salisbury
    5) Rodney Peete
    6) Pat Haden
    7) Matt Cassel
    8) Bill Nelsen
    9) Pete Beathard
    10) Vince Evans,
    11) Paul McDonald
    12) Todd Marinovich
    13) Rob Johnson
    14) John David Booty.

Cal QB that have played in the NFL

1) Bob Celeri
    2) Paul Larson
    3) Craig Morton
    4) Joe Kapp
    5) Steve Bartkowski
    6) Rich Campbell
    7) Gale Gilbert
    8) Troy Taylor
    9) Perry Klein
    10) Dave Barr
    11) Pat Barnes
    12) Kyle Boller
    13) Aaron Rodgers
    Need to add Vince Ferragamo to the Cal list
    GO BEARS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by StillNoStanfurdium View Post
    Cushing's generally regarded as a key player on the Texans I think. It turned out Clay Matthews ended up doing better than him so far in the league despite being rated lower but Cushing hasn't been a flop by any means. Now someone like Taylor Mays on the other hand...
    I was thinking about Mays, but I for the life of me cannot remember where he is! Then there's Keyfraud Johnson, Winston Justice (who sucked as an Eagle)... the list is long and storied... too tired to add to it now...

BearInsider has more posts about USC than the USC sites.

Quote Originally Posted by sctawndawg View Post
    BearInsider has more posts about USC than the USC sites.

Now that you're mentioned it, I come here for Oregon and Stanford stuff too.