Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cal is the perfect fit for Rooks

Cal is the perfect fit for Rooks

Monty wants a big body to play with a back to the basket game. AZ is loaded up front, and PT will be very sparse for a long time. If TheRise is right and AZ signs Gordon, then PT at AZ will be even harder to come by.

At Cal, he would get on the court early and often and wrap up Cal's Monster Recruiting Class....here's what espn says:

...Arizona, Arizona State, Cal and Washington are the four schools the 7-footer is considering, and Rooks' Gamepoint AAU head coach Anthony Bolton tells the website that he anticipates a decision could be made very soon.

"He'll take this week to sit down, relax and think about what he wants to do," said Bolton. "Sometime next week he'll probably be ready to make an announcement. I think he'll have a decision before Christmas."

So where will Rooks end up? Just speculating here, but since his father and longtime NBA big man Sean Rooks played at Arizona one has to believe the Wildcats could be the odds-on favorite here. And of the other three Pac-12 schools, we have to believe that Cal has the biggest need for help up front since ASU (Jordan Bachynski) and UW (Shawn Kemp, Jr./Gilles Dierickx) will both be set at that spot in 2013-14.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Miller can lord over this conference for awhile

Arizona is the only nationally relevant program in the conference right now. He owned recruiting the past few years, and he has a chance to be Calipari where he can bank on tournament success and "developing" NBA players that'll ensure top recruits in the West end up in Tucson.

Really happy Monty got that conference crown; it might be awhile before we challenge the Wildcats again.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    Monty wants a big body to play with a back to the basket game. AZ is loaded up front, and PT will be very sparse for a long time. If TheRise is right and AZ signs Gordon, then PT at AZ will be even harder to come by.

At Cal, he would get on the court early and often and wrap up Cal's Monster Recruiting Class....here's what espn says:

...Arizona, Arizona State, Cal and Washington are the four schools the 7-footer is considering, and Rooks' Gamepoint AAU head coach Anthony Bolton tells the website that he anticipates a decision could be made very soon.

"He'll take this week to sit down, relax and think about what he wants to do," said Bolton. "Sometime next week he'll probably be ready to make an announcement. I think he'll have a decision before Christmas."

So where will Rooks end up? Just speculating here, but since his father and longtime NBA big man Sean Rooks played at Arizona one has to believe the Wildcats could be the odds-on favorite here. And of the other three Pac-12 schools, we have to believe that Cal has the biggest need for help up front since ASU (Jordan Bachynski) and UW (Shawn Kemp, Jr./Gilles Dierickx) will both be set at that spot in 2013-14.
    Shawn Kemp Jr? Is he really the answer at UW? Admittedly I'm not following that close, but has he shown more promise? And Dierickx? Is he that good? Frosh numbers were so-so, but maybe he had someone in front of him? Sounds like our Frid.

Quote Originally Posted by LessMilesMoreTedford View Post
    Arizona is the only nationally relevant program in the conference right now. He owned recruiting the past few years, and he has a chance to be Calipari where he can bank on tournament success and "developing" NBA players that'll ensure top recruits in the West end up in Tucson.

Really happy Monty got that conference crown; it might be awhile before we challenge the Wildcats again.
    I don't disagree with this but.......the weird thing is that during Sean Miller's first three years - - No Tournament 2 of them.

It just has to be a place that coddles their elite players to a degree I think we couldn't imagine. Cause they have to live in Tuscon, have missed the tournament 2 out of the past 3 years, and well...they have to live in Tuscon.

It probably also helps that they bring recruits in when McHale is going crazy. Say it again - the best $$$ that Sandy could spend would be to hire some competent people in marketing to help get the Haas (and Memorial) filled. I just don't see why this is THAT hard. Last night on TV just looked sad.

BTW - were the food trucks a big hit? Given Bay Area market I would think that would be a great addition for nearly EVERY evening game.

I doubt Shawn Kemp, Jr. will ever be more than a role player. The only similarity to his father is the name.
    Access is better than ownership!

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    I don't disagree with this but.......the weird thing is that during Sean Miller's first three years - - No Tournament 2 of them.

It just has to be a place that coddles their elite players to a degree I think we couldn't imagine. Cause they have to live in Tuscon, have missed the tournament 2 out of the past 3 years, and well...they have to live in Tuscon.

It probably also helps that they bring recruits in when McHale is going crazy. Say it again - the best $$$ that Sandy could spend would be to hire some competent people in marketing to help get the Haas (and Memorial) filled. I just don't see why this is THAT hard. Last night on TV just looked sad.

BTW - were the food trucks a big hit? Given Bay Area market I would think that would be a great addition for nearly EVERY evening game.
    I think they turn the corner this season. They look pretty scary.

Say it again - the best $$$ that Sandy could spend would be to hire some competent people in marketing to help get the Haas (and Memorial) filled. I just don't see why this is THAT hard. Last night on TV just looked sad.

Haas is so convenient to BART and downtown Berkeley restaurants too.

Many things we have discussed in the past are lessening the "Haas experience"--I really think extending the student section to court side would be the biggest improvement and then having the TV cameras be on the opposite side facing the students would make it seem like a happening place where you want to be there in person.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    I think they turn the corner this season. They look pretty scary.
    I agree but lets see how things go in conference before we ink them in the final four of our brackets. Their sucess, however, is good for PAC12

Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    Haas is so convenient to BART and downtown Berkeley restaurants too.

Many things we have discussed in the past are lessening the "Haas experience"--I really think extending the student section to court side would be the biggest improvement and then having the TV cameras be on the opposite side facing the students would make it seem like a happening place where you want to be there in person.
    Not sure what but I know SDSU is doing great things in respect to turning a worthless ticket into the hottest ticket in this town in the past 20 years. And before you say "winning" remember that just like us they were bounced in round 1 and prior to the Sweet Sixteen run they had ZERO NCAA tournament wins.

Come back to recommendation made prior - Sandy should go hire their marketing director.

(Oh, and BTW - SDSU is VERY much a commuter school with students really coming onto a very physically small campus for classes).

Quote Originally Posted by LessMilesMoreTedford View Post

It is not missed that Montgomery was hired slightly before Miller came on at Arizona. Following the Lute Olson coaching replacement debacle, it can be argued that Cal was clearly in better standing when Monty arrived than when Miller arrived at AU.

And yet, immediately, Miller's recruiting took off while we here have numerous threads about Monty's. SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    It is not missed that Montgomery was hired slightly before Miller came on at Arizona. Following the Lute Olson coaching replacement debacle, it can be argued that Cal was clearly in better standing when Monty arrived than when Miller arrived at AU.

And yet, immediately, Miller's recruiting took off while we here have numerous threads about Monty's. SMH.
    OK....see when the nega recruiting faction goes too far we discredit our argument. UofA has a HUGE recruiting advantage. I might argue that is outweighs UCLA's. The basketball team is treated as gods. Now I think they have to be because it is, Tuscon, but Miller was going to suceed there and outrecruit Cal pretty easily.

The issue is that we should be doing as well as Romar, Furd, and WOebegone. And except for Bigs, we seem to be doing that. It is our failure to get a high-quality 5 that is just a glaring weakness.

Not sure what but I know SDSU is doing great things in respect to turning a worthless ticket into the hottest ticket in this town in the past 20 years. And before you say "winning" remember that just like us they were bounced in round 1 and prior to the Sweet Sixteen run they had ZERO NCAA tournament wins.

Come back to recommendation made prior - Sandy should go hire their marketing director.

(Oh, and BTW - SDSU is VERY much a commuter school with students really coming onto a very physically small campus for classes).
    Disagree strongly about SDSU being commuter. I went there and that campus is packed with frats, dorms, apartment buildings, homes, all within walking distance of Viejas Arena, the old Aztec Bowl. The campus is one big party - students would DEFINITELY take time to take in a game! I voted for that damn thing, but it took about 10 years to get done, long after I was gone.

SDSU also got a new Green Line trolley line connection in 2005, an underground station right in the middle of the campus. My goodness - I never knew that!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDSU_Transit_Center

OK....see when the nega recruiting faction goes too far we discredit our argument. UofA has a HUGE recruiting advantage. I might argue that is outweighs UCLA's. The basketball team is treated as gods. Now I think they have to be because it is, Tuscon, but Miller was going to suceed there and outrecruit Cal pretty easily.

The issue is that we should be doing as well as Romar, Furd, and WOebegone. And except for Bigs, we seem to be doing that. It is our failure to get a high-quality 5 that is just a glaring weakness.
    Well, please expound for me please why UofA should have a HUGE recruiting advantage. I mean, Arizona sucks. Arid, Hot F'ing desert! How do they even have enough water to survive there? And what industry or anything else is there? Why would anyone want to go to school there? Because Lute Olson had success in the past? They have easier academics? It's a party in the desert, not unlike SDSU, but without the ocean and all that is good in California? (not to mention you can take the trolley straight from your dorm to Tijuana, get hammered, and ride back home?)

Arizona, I'm parched! - last place I'd want to live. (Though, I will say the desert is nice after the one time per decade rains cause lots of flowering action.)

Arizona and Tuscon are similar to Gonzaga and Spokane. Top basketball traditions out in the middle of nowhere. Loyal fan support all decked out in school colors season after season. Not respected academically. But I know some California hs grads who have chosen to go to Gonzaga over P12 schools just to root for the Zags and have fun. And none of them seem to regret their choice.

Arizona's new facilities are incredible. Top five in the country.