Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
    Kreklow is two years older, with a year of college experience. Kreklow does everything well and plays really hard. Hes a better shot, better defender, and better passer for assists. Kreklow will get plenty of rebounds, but Wallace is longer, and will probably turn out to be a great rebounding guard. Wallace is more athletic and maybe can finish better inside. He needs to work on outside shooting, defense and passing. He is terrific for a freshman. Kreklow is injured, and in that sense Wallace has more value at present.

They play different positions. Wallace is more of a point, but can play the 2 and 3. Kreklow is more of a 2 or 3, but probably could play point. It will all depend on matchups who plays where.

Montgomery loves having both of these players, you can bet on that, and this team would be much farther along, had not Ricky gotten injured.
    I am a big fan of both and love the love that we Cal fans are heaping on them.

However, I question whether Ricky does everything well. Perhaps so, but I have noticed a tendency for him not to get set on some perimeter shots. When he does this his percentage is zero. Maybe this is because of his injury, but I doubt it.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I am a big fan of both and love the love that we Cal fans are heaping on them.

However, I question whether Ricky does everything well. Perhaps so, but I have noticed a tendency for him not to get set on some perimeter shots. When he does this his percentage is zero. Maybe this is because of his injury, but I doubt it.
    You are right abut Ricky shooting perimeter shots sometimes without getting his feet set. I noticed it last year in a scrimmage. It is either a habit or just not getting into a good rhythm. Montgomery has talked about him not yet being in rhythm. The injury may make it harder for him to get into a rhythm. Still, I've seen him make a number of perimeter shots in games and scrimmages. In the summer league, he shot around 50% from three, but only took a couple of threes per game. Montgomery, Crabbe, and Thurman have all said that when Kreklow gets going, he can really light it up. He is not going to put up 30 points like Crabbe can do, because he is usually looking first to make an assist, and second, for his own shot. He has a point guard mentality. His stroke is good, and I'm sure the coaches are working on his footwork for perimeter shots.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
    You are right abut Ricky shooting perimeter shots sometimes without getting his feet set. I noticed it last year in a scrimmage. It is either a habit or just not getting into a good rhythm. Montgomery has talked about him not yet being in rhythm. The injury may make it harder for him to get into a rhythm. Still, I've seen him make a number of perimeter shots in games and scrimmages. In the summer league, he shot around 50% from three, but only took a couple of threes per game. Montgomery, Crabbe, and Thurman have all said that when Kreklow gets going, he can really light it up. He is not going to put up 30 points like Crabbe can do, because he is usually looking first to make an assist, and second, for his own shot. He has a point guard mentality. His stroke is good, and I'm sure the coaches are working on his footwork for perimeter shots.
    I like how you put it, "a point guard mentality." He looks to be our best passer since Jorge, though Wallace may challenge.