Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoroughly Forgettable Game

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyrover View Post
    I'm not saying that their effort was substandard, though in a few isolated instances their heads didn't appear to be in the game.

Just that the body language and leadership were lacking.

If I were a scout it would certainly raise flags (btw Bob Myers was one of those scouts at the Creighton game). That said, if they aren't going to be asked/expected to be leaders on an NBA team, then it might not be a strike against them. Some guys are fine teammates being role/supporting players and asking them to become leaders just isn't in their nature.

Maybe it was just a severe hangover from the 3-game losing streak and finals -- I hope so.
    And you know what. As a 20 year old in a shooting/play slump I think we should _ALL_ understand why being a bit frustrated and down might be a natural reaction. Yes, as middle aged guys sitting at keyboards we know you "play through that stuff" and show your boss that even if the report isn't the best thing since sliced bread part of what you are graded on is the effort and attitude you bring. But I can understand why a 20 year old with what they perceive as gazzillions on the line would be down.

We need to cut both those guys a HUGE break. They are good players, college kids, and will, over the course of the next two years, likely give us plenty of Ws and happiness. Lets not pile on cause we only beat a 7 win team by 10 rather than 30.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    And you know what. As a 20 year old in a shooting/play slump I think we should _ALL_ understand why being a bit frustrated and down might be a natural reaction. Yes, as middle aged guys sitting at keyboards we know you "play through that stuff" and show your boss that even if the report isn't the best thing since sliced bread part of what you are graded on is the effort and attitude you bring. But I can understand why a 20 year old with what they perceive as gazzillions on the line would be down.

We need to cut both those guys a HUGE break. They are good players, college kids, and will, over the course of the next two years, likely give us plenty of Ws and happiness. Lets not pile on cause we only beat a 7 win team by 10 rather than 30.
    +1

New Role for Brandon?

Quote Originally Posted by dakyne View Post
    Honestly, I was waiting for the transition to happen, given the team had better results with Smith not playing--even when he was starting games. Perhaps it harkens back to Smith not playing well coming off the bench in previous seasons post-concussion, and Monty wanted to make sure his confidence was good if he became a starter once again.

But pulling the plug on that tactic became clearer with the passing of each game this season. I'm puzzled by Smith's erratic play, given he comes from a high school that values basketball IQ as well as work ethic--and defense. Because while Smith isn't tall or super quick or athletic for his size (think Nate Robinson or Randle), you would think he could make up for it with being more cerebral, but he ends up rushing up the court and making some real bone-headed plays, dribbling into traffic or getting caught in the air and throwing the ball away as a result. Just fundamental things like a jump stop has left his repertoire, and as a point guard, you gotta bring stability to the lineup.

He does bring a certain toughness and work ethic--and speed, but not much in terms of productivity, so his role should have been as a glue guy, but that wasn't evident. I'm firmly convinced it has some connection to his concussion, but I'm sure people hear 100% recovery and assume all is well. Sometimes it is not--I've seen personalities change permanently, and they're only finding out now the long-term consequences, but really believe the short- and mid-term repercussions shouldn't always be dismissed.

In any case, Wallace shows a good overall game, assisted by his athleticism and length. He is everything Smith isn't, altho both can be turnovers-in-waiting.
    Am guessing we saw the beginning of a new role for Brandon: Hustling defense off the bench, particularly closing on 3-point shooters. Offensively, minimizing turnovers by eliminating risky forays to the hoop.

If he masters this role he will play and actually help the team.

As for Tyrone's being a turnover in waiting, his assist to turnover ratio does not support this characterization. I get why you made your remark, but he appears a quick learner and I expect him to learn about when to go to the hoop and when not to join the paratroopers club (go up in the air with no destination in sight) as Rick Barry has so aptly put it.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    Am guessing we saw the beginning of a new role for Brandon: Hustling defense off the bench, particularly closing on 3-point shooters. Offensively, minimizing turnovers by eliminating risky forays to the hoop.

If he masters this role he will play and actually help the team.

As for Tyrone's being a turnover in waiting, his assist to turnover ratio does not support this characterization. I get why you made your remark, but he appears a quick learner and I expect him to learn about when to go to the hoop and when not to join the paratroopers club (go up in the air with no destination in sight) as Rick Barry has so aptly put it.
    I think that's a reasonable expectation, and an outcome Monty is hoping for. For some reason, Smith didn't do well coming off the bench in previous seasons (except for his sophomore year?). I think he did a decent job of that Tuesday nite. Nothing fancy, and nothing negative, either.

But clearly, Wallace is the future--and probably the present as well. His upside is pretty high.

As for Tyrone's being a turnover in waiting, his assist to turnover ratio does not support this characterization.
    Love Tyrone's game and progression so far. True that he has managed to limit his TO's so far, but he always appears to be a bit out of control with his high dribble - kind of like a skier skiing on the edge of their ability. Part of that probably has to do with his high dribble and upright running style, but another part of it probably has to do with him always having his head up. He is only going to get better and better as his handle gets tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post

I would agree with most of this, except that Cabbe seems to be projecting a bit of a sleepy-boy persona this year - even in the interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    I would agree with most of this, except that Cabbe seems to be projecting a bit of a sleepy-boy persona this year - even in the interviews.
    I would leave Allen's interviews aside. I agree with your characterization of them, but would counter by saying Jorge did not exactly breathe fire in his interviews.

It's Allen's on court childishness at times that could use some improvement. After all, he has logged huge minutes in his Cal career already and it is not vilifying him to wish he displayed more maturity in the form of focus on the game.

I am sure or at least imagine he will improve markedly in this regard. I cannot imagine that he will be pouting/slouching/looking discouraged, say, 5 years hence, as he does now.

It would be good for this year's Bears if he worked on this part of his game right now.

Go Bears!

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    I would leave Allen's interviews aside. I agree with your characterization of them, but would counter by saying Jorge did not exactly breathe fire in his interviews.

It's Allen's on court childishness at times that could use some improvement. After all, he has logged huge minutes in his Cal career already and it is not vilifying him to wish he displayed more maturity in the form of focus on the game.

I am sure or at least imagine he will improve markedly in this regard. I cannot imagine that he will be pouting/slouching/looking discouraged, say, 5 years hence, as he does now.

It would be good for this year's Bears if he worked on this part of his game right now.

Go Bears!
    I think Allen is a great kid, but a bit shy, and this leading by example thing is probably not what he is used to. I also think that Cobbs, in a different way, doesn't seem to be a natural leader. It doesn't matter though. You lead by filling needs, be responsible, accountable and then holding others accountable. You don't let others like Solomon slouch or pout, and you don't let the underclassmen get discouraged (seems like Kravich gets discouraged a little when his shot doesn't go down early). Stuff like that. It's just understanding the need. They're both fully capable of leading the way -- they just have to "deny" themselves to do this.