Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dykes on OOC scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    since we actually went toe to toe with OSU, it's not like replacing them with a WAC team like SJSU would have done much for our record.

We are not the SEC. we don't sell out the BS crap games they pull in $50 per head x 100k for. Cal sells it's 30k season tickets (plus or minus) and not a single extra for a D1AA team. and season ticket holders can barely give them way since there are way better thing to do in September.
    THIS!!!!! We have two pro teams going at the same time plus MLB hunt for October! We NEED good games... The SEC is ALL most of those places have!

Quote Originally Posted by jordangoldnbear View Post
    THIS!!!!! We have two pro teams going at the same time plus MLB hunt for October! We NEED good games... The SEC is ALL most of those places have!
    Winning fills stadiums.

I'd like to see Cal play some higher caliber teams before we go conference, just to get used to competitive teams..IMHO. Playing cupcakes then going conference thinking we're better than we really are..not sure about that one. Either way, Dykes is the man....I'll trust him to do what it takes to make Cal a great program.

Quote Originally Posted by maxer View Post
    Not to mention that SEC and Big 10 teams play 8 conference games and Pac12 schools play 9.
    that's the big difference. Alabama for one seems to always play 1 really good team, but the 4th non-conf patsy makes the schedule look bad. Last 5 years played Michigan, Penn St x2, Va Tech and Clemson. Not patsies. Still haven't figured out though how fans of a team that scheduled Presbyterian can talk about anyone else's scheduling.

I'm in favor of the C + B + A model as long as the A team is not a lower half Power Conference team. C=FCS, B=Non-Power Conference team that is not Boise St/or Boise Statesque, A=Upper half Power Conference team.

I'd also be in favor of a C + A-minus + A-minus schedule which features one FCS team and two typical mid - lower half Power Conference teams (like playing Purdue/NC State/Georgia Tech/Texas Tech [y'know the also rans])

My only quibble would be to request having the C team as the first game of the year. I can get excited watching Cal trounce a bad team the first week. I get to see the young players, see what the offense is going to be like, gain basic familiarity. If the game is later in the year, this excitement dissipates.

I'd like to see conference play go down to 8 games like the other conferences. Then in an ideal world there would be an unwritten gentlemen's code that teams should schedule no more than two cupcakes. Some of the most exciting games we've played have been those against major OOC programs like Tennessee and tOSU. It's even fun to watch the other Pac schools against these programs, like the Stanford and SC vs. ND matchups.

What did you like more:

Tennessee, Michigan State, Maryland
    or
    UC Davis, Fresno State, Nevada?

I know whether we won that game or not matters, but I think nothing beats opening our season with a school that's more of a name. Facing B schools or worse where we get no credit if we win cause we were supposed to and get dinged if lose or don't win as much as we should.

For example, Alabma's non-conference schedule next year is Virginia Tech (A), Colorado St, (B), Chatanooga (C), and Georgia St. (C).
    I think this is an A, C, F, F schedule

That said, I don't think anyone is advocating moving off the ABC model -- but next year we have more like A (Ohio St)-C (Portland St)-A (Northwestern).
    I think this is an A, D (or F), B schedule

The SEC and Big 12, since they play only an 8 conference game schedule, have more like ABCC. For example, Alabma's non-conference schedule next year is Virginia Tech (A), Colorado St, (B), Chatanooga (C), and Georgia St. (C).

That said, I don't think anyone is advocating moving off the ABC model -- but next year we have more like A (Ohio St)-C (Portland St)-A (Northwestern).

Would be nice to swap Northwestern for Colorado St or something.
    Northwestern was probably a C when we scheduled them.

The SEC and Big 12, since they play only an 8 conference game schedule, have more like ABCC. For example, Alabma's non-conference schedule next year is Virginia Tech (A), Colorado St, (B), Chatanooga (C), and Georgia St. (C).

Would be nice to swap Northwestern for Colorado St or something.
    I believe the Big 12 now plays 9 conference games which started in 2012. It is the Big 10 that still plays only 8 conference games along with the SEC of course.

A, B, C schedule is fine...anything less..and fans just won't show up till pac12 play. You can bitch about it..but its not gonna change. The west coast likes showtime games...let the SEC enjoy paying top dollar to watch Prairie View.

Reading way too much into a short response...it was about 'building momentum'...so it could mean only that he would prefer a "C-B-A" approach, with successively stronger opponents. What new coach, introducing a new system, wants a formidable foe in his first game? That's all that can fairly be read into this quote.

1st step in changing Cal fans outlook: its about Cal winning the conference games. The OOC games are all about doing whatever is necessary for the Bears to win in the Pac-12.
    You hope that just being at the game is a great experience, being in Strawberry Canyon on a wonderful fall day. Great tailgating, exciting Cal football, and a great Blue and Gold time had by all.
    This isn't a new thought. I experienced a season of LSU football the year they won the National Championship in '03. It was a packed house for no name opponents. It was a more intense crowd for end of the season Arkansas. Right, its not how ND does it, but it becomes about your team winning.
    But, with the tv demands, yeah, A-B-C isn't going down the tubes completely. The reality for 2013: calling Northwestern the "B" game is a stretch; its two "A's".

San Jose State is out. TOO TOUGH,

Cal Poly, Davis and Sac State is what we need.

I'll have plenty of space to stretch out in the repossessed, newly renamed, Google Stadium.

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    This is why I hate any kind of playoff talk, and the direction of college football in general.

Hopefully dykes does not get his way.