Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dykes on OOC scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    I'm sure this will be easy for some of you to clarify.

Cal will graduate to the pac12 championship game when we have the best OVERALL (not conference only) record, right?

If this is so, then doesn't it behoove us to schedule 3 guaranteed OOC wins?

(Or is it only the overall record that determines who hosts the game?)
    When determining the champion of a Pac-12 division, the Pac-12 conference records are used to order the standings from first to last.

If there is a tie for first place, then the head-to-head result breaks the tie.

Overall records mean nothing.

As simple as that.

The Ideal OOC schedule for me would be a game against an FCS team, then a mediocre ACC/Big 10/Big 12/SEC/MWC/Big East team and then a Big Match up against a top 25 team. It would get fans excited and would give a solid team 2-3 wins off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by pnaidu View Post
    The Ideal OOC schedule for me would be a game against an FCS team, then a mediocre ACC/Big 10/Big 12/SEC/MWC/Big East team and then a Big Match up against a top 25 team. It would get fans excited and would give a solid team 2-3 wins off the bat.
    So the schedule next year then basically, just in a different order?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcocoon007 View Post
    A quality opponent will prepare you more than a cupcake will. Heck in recent year's there have been bigger cupcakes in the conference (Colorado, WSU).

Look at Oregon this year. Despite having the same number of losses as Alabama they did not have much of an argument to be in the BCSNCG. They likely would have had an argument had they played some real teams as opposed to Tenn Tech, Fresno, and Arky State in the non-conference.
    Except that Arky State and Fresno were both FBS conference champions with 9 regular season wins apiece, so your point is factually misleading. It was arguably a tougher non-conference schedule than Alabama's (8-4 Michigan and 7-5 WKU were the headliners there), and at least comparable. The only time I can remember non-conference scheduling being the deciding factor since 2004 (when I started following CFB) was in 2004 when 5 teams (if I recall) were undefeated and Auburn was on the outside looking in as OU and USC played for the BCSNC.