Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumors: Barry Sacks from NV our new DL coach?

And meh just sounds a lot like "me"....

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    It's not a rumor. He was touring the football offices yesterday and should be announced soon. Strong recruiter and good results with his unit.

Here's his bio: http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/sports...s_barry00.html

Why is it that it's mostly the same people "meh"ing each staff hire? Not sure what it would take to please some. Regardless, I'm expecting big things from this staff, sooner rather than later.
    Hi Moraga,
    First, thanks for your great stories and coverage of late, you've really been on top of things during a very busy time of year. Second, I think I've only been "meh" on two hires. I was on record liking Buh when both he and Arata were up, glowed about Sonny during his press conference, praised the special teams hire and like Franklin as OC--all upgrades. And I like Sonny as a hire more than most of the press does. But I'm just calling it like I see it.

I wanted JT gone--Nevada game was the last straw for me--but I think there's revisionism going on with respect to JT, that everything Sonny or Sandy do is great and JT left the program in a mess. JT left a new stadium and great recruiting classes. For the most part JT had a great staff his first 5 years here and even at the end he had some really good assistants with proven success in the pac 10 in terms of player performance and recruiting.

Looper wants us to hire all big name ex-HC's as our assistant coaches

Quote Originally Posted by RealDrew2 View Post
    When you've never heard of the guy even though he has been around, its "meh"
    He may be good, he might not - hard to judge. I hope he is good. I find it weird that he was DT coach as opposed to DL coach.

Do you want us all to pretend we are excited, when there is no reason for us to be more than meh. Its not like we hired Ed Orgeron.
    I also find it weird that he's been coaching college ball since 1986 and hasn't been able to land a job in a BCS conference until now.

Both coaches have a lot of connections to the BSU, Fresno and Nevada program

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeBearFan View Post
    Thanks! Any hints on an LB coach? (I think that's the last open position now....?)
    Buh will also coach the linebackers.

Dykes said they're deciding whether the last coach will be another LB coach or another secondary coach. I assume the last coach will also share some other responsibilities, too, like another special teams assistant.

The thing that's confusing to me is that they're allowed 10 fulltime coaches on staff and with Dykes, Ingram, Likens, Tommerdahl and the OL coach, that's 5 on offense and he said they're set with O so there won't be a QB coach or other offensive-oriented position coach.

With Buh, Sacks, Stewart and a yet-undefined position coach, that should still leave another slot.

Trying to save some money and split it among the nine?

Quote Originally Posted by Looperbear View Post
    Hi Moraga,
    First, thanks for your great stories and coverage of late, you've really been on top of things during a very busy time of year. Second, I think I've only been "meh" on two hires. I was on record liking Buh when both he and Arata were up, glowed about Sonny during his press conference, praised the special teams hire and like Franklin as OC--all upgrades. And I like Sonny as a hire more than most of the press does. But I'm just calling it like I see it.

I wanted JT gone--Nevada game was the last straw for me--but I think there's revisionism going on with respect to JT, that everything Sonny or Sandy do is great and JT left the program in a mess. JT left a new stadium and great recruiting classes. For the most part JT had a great staff his first 5 years here and even at the end he had some really good assistants with proven success in the pac 10 in terms of player performance and recruiting.
    And, ESPECIALLY, he got Cal into a lousy academic position due to the low graduation rate and the looming possibility of sanctions because JT apparently forgot that the athletes also had to be STUDENTS.
    JT's gone because he stopped doing his job in many areas.

Thanks again! I hope these guys can hit the ground running with any more recruiting we need to do before signing day!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post
    And, ESPECIALLY, he got Cal into a lousy academic position due to the low graduation rate and the looming possibility of sanctions because JT apparently forgot that the athletes also had to be STUDENTS.
    JT's gone because he stopped doing his job in many areas.
    Even with the academic shortcomings in recent years, JT left Cal better than he found it. Cal was on sanctions when JT arrived in the midst of an academic scandal. When he came here, we were on probation due to academic fraud implicating not just the football players and coaches but the university administration itself.

Noticed he went from DE to DT coach (or maybe it was vice versa). Is it typical for a school to have two DL position coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Buh will also coach the linebackers.

Dykes said they're deciding whether the last coach will be another LB coach or another secondary coach. I assume the last coach will also share some other responsibilities, too, like another special teams assistant.

The thing that's confusing to me is that they're allowed 10 fulltime coaches on staff and with Dykes, Ingram, Likens, Tommerdahl and the OL coach, that's 5 on offense and he said they're set with O so there won't be a QB coach or other offensive-oriented position coach.

With Buh, Sacks, Stewart and a yet-undefined position coach, that should still leave another slot.
    MB-
    I think Franklin is missing from your count

Quote Originally Posted by Looperbear View Post
    I also find it weird that he's been coaching college ball since 1986 and hasn't been able to land a job in a BCS conference until now.

what if he hasn't been looking or the right opportunity never came for him personally? your view is a really one sided view of someone's career.

Quote Originally Posted by RealDrew2 View Post
    When you've never heard of the guy even though he has been around, its "meh"
    He may be good, he might not - hard to judge. I hope he is good. I find it weird that he was DT coach as opposed to DL coach.

Do you want us all to pretend we are excited, when there is no reason for us to be more than meh. Its not like we hired Ed Orgeron.
    How many guys here could name a DL coach they have heard of? Especially from out of the conference. Unless they were a former pro.

Who is Alabama's DL coach?

Exactly right. Silly oversight with Franklin.

Regarding Tedford, I agree that there's some revisionist thinking on the part of a lot of people but I think it's just coming out that way because people like what they hear from Dykes and his staff and he's articulating what so many have wanted to hear for so long.

Unfortunately, Tedford's rep is further suffering in the comparison and it's a shame but he brought on a lot of the furvent feelings by the way he handled things in recent years so it's a natural consequence.

As Tedford was so fond of saying, "there's no question" he did a ton of great things for Cal and left the program in a position where the right coach and staff could turn things around quickly. I just don't think it was going to happen under him anymore. Things just seemed to reach the point of no return.