Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Jewish Delis: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pastrami

OT: Jewish Delis: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pastrami

In this thread we discuss Jewish delis. Please feel free to post reviews, ratings, pictures, hurl criticisms at fellow posters and non-believers in the way of the deli, and anything else you can think of.

Bonus points if you discuss preferences in latkes (puffy or flat?), knishes (plain, with kasha or otherwise?), kugel (parve, or *he says aghast* with dairy?).

Use of yiddish or other old-world languages will be appreciated, as will any reference to the "way things were in the old country" or any criticism of bagels originating more than one mile from the original Kossar's Bialy in the lower east side.

Note, I feel guilty for bringing a non-football topic to this board but will deal with it come yom kippur in 2013.

Not a Jewish Deli, but this place has really good Pastrami: http://www.refugesc.com/

They also have a ton of Belgian Beer on tap.

Wise Sons in SF. Two Cal guys started it.

Quote Originally Posted by calbear289 View Post
    Not a Jewish Deli, but this place has really good Pastrami: http://www.refugesc.com/

Great call! I love that place and it's a very short drive from my family's home. It's one of the few places where I actually get a reuben as opposed to a regular pastrami sandwich. They also have Allagash which is getting easier to find out here but still not prevalent enough.

No trip to Los Angeles is complete without a trip to Canter's or Brent's. Canter's MishMosh soup has it all, kreplach, matzo ball, lokshen (noodles), loads of chicken and everything else. Plus the sandwiches! And oy gevalt, the bakery will make you plotz!

New York is got a lot, but the Carnegie is still my favorite.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Not particularly too knowledgeable but always have enjoyed Brent's Deli in Northridge (SF Valley).

http://www.brentsdeli.com/

when I lived in LA I frequented Junior's deli. I didn't appreciate their latkes (I prefer less doughy more crispy/crunchy because that's what I grew up with). Great take on the Jewish deli/diner and pretty good bagels all things considered.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Chelsea Drugstore, standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
    "Give me that loaf of marble rye!"

Zingerman's in Ann Arbor. The best thing about Ann Arbor (even better than the Big House).

My wife is Jewish (and from the Valley) and I'm mostly Jewish, so we've had this discussion many times. Our consensus is that the Bay Area has a serious void of Jewish Delis. Saul's is good, but it's much more local and bay area style than authentic/traditional old school Jewish deli.

For LA, my wife says that Junior's is good but Fromin's is better, but if you really want good Jewish deli you must visit Mort's in Tarzana. Weiler's is somewhere between Junior's and Fromin's, and Canter's is fine if you like tourists.

LA: Canter's is good, but nothing special.. Langers is much better, the Westlake area has cleaned up a bit since the 90's.

Loyal Bear
    Brent's is really really good. They have new location in Westlake Village, although for some reason I think Northridge is little better. Probably the old school atmosphere.

Cabbage Soup at Brent's is really good, if you like a sweet style.

Langer's has great pastrami, but cabbage soup is watery.

Canter's is so so.

Pico Kosher is pretty damm good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    Use of yiddish or other old-world languages will be appreciated...
    I say extra points to anyone who can work my favorite Yiddish word -- shiksa -- into the thread. A friend in grad school once explained to me that the real definition of the word is "that goy bitch who's going to marry my son." And that friend did marry a Jewish man, and now has one of the greatest married names ever -- Noelle Berg.

Do I have to connect this meaningless story to the topic at hand? Let's see....oh, I know...I used to go to Zingerman's with them quite frequently. In fact, they were probably the people who introduced me to that deli.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDrew2 View Post
    Brent's is really really good. They have new location in Westlake Village, although for some reason I think Northridge is little better. Probably the old school atmosphere.

Cabbage Soup at Brent's is really good, if you like a sweet style.

Langer's has great pastrami, but cabbage soup is watery.

Canter's is so so.

Pico Kosher is pretty damm good as well.
    Yes, my mom had the cabbage soup and unknowingly thought it would be this Russian cabbage soup that she liked, and winced because of how sweet Brent's cabbage soup was. It wasn't bad, just that she did not expect it haha.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear289 View Post

I don't know bubkes about Belgian Beer but pastrami? Oy vey, let me tell you about pastrami....

Unit, you are hilarious! Love the thread title. Here are some translations (with a Cal slant) of Yiddish phrases for you non Jews.

A BI GEZUNT: Stanfurd is a very good football team and they are going to the Rose Bowl but at least you have your health.

ALTER COCKER: An old and complaining person, an old fart. An Old Blue.

BALABUSTA: The wife of an important person or a bossy woman. Kate Dykes and Sandy Barbour.

BOBBEMYSEH: Old wive's tales, nonsense. Most of the posts on BI.

BOYCHICK: An affectionate term for a young Golden Bear.

CHUTZPAH: Nerve; gall, as in a Furdie who posts on this board because they don't have one of their own.

DRECK: ****. Can refer to the ugliness of objects or people. In other words, To$h.

FERBLUNJIT: Lost, mixed up. Tedford's QB's these last 6 years.

FERCOCKT: All f*cked up. The 2012 football season

FERSHLUGINA: Beaten up, messed up, no good. Our offensive line last season.

FERSHTINKINER: A stinker, a louse. To$h.

GAVALT: A cry of fear or a cry for help. Oy Gevalt is often used as expression meaning "oh how terrible." The collective cry of all Bears after we lost the home opener of the rennovated Memorial Stadium to Nevada.

GELT: Money. What To$h screwed us for.

GONIF: A thief, a tricky clever person, a shady character. To$h. Who knew that there were so many words in Yiddish for him?

GOY: A derogatory term meaning gentile, goyim is the plural, and goyisher is the adjective. Most of the people not named Haas or Goldman

KIBITZ: To offer comments which are often unwanted during a game. A kibitzer gives unasked for advice. Ted Robinson announcing a Cal Game.

KLUTZ: An awkward, uncoordinated person. Bak Bak.

KVETCH: To annoy or to be an annoying person, to complain. Definitely most BI posters.

MACH SHNEL: Hurry up. Our new offense.

MACHER: An ambitious person; a schemer with many plans. To$h again.

MAZEL TOV: Good luck, usually said as a statement of support or congratulations. What I'll say to Sonny when I see him.

MEESKAIT: A little ugly one; a person or thing. To$h.

MEGILLAH: Long, complicated and boring. JT's offense.

MENSCH: A person of character. An individual of recognized worth because of noble values or actions. Sonny D thus far.

MESHUGGE or MESHUGGINA: Crazy, refers to a more chronic disturbance. Steve Sarkisian is mashuggina for hiring that meeskait To$h.

MISHEGOSS: Inappropriate, crazy, or bizarre actions or beliefs. Ducks fans are definitely mishegoss.

MOMZER: A bastard, an untrustworthy person. Yiddish really is the perfect language to explain To$h.

NAFKA: A whore. Guess who?

NUDNIK: A pest, a persistent and annoying person. the Rise.

SHANDA: A shame, a scandal. The expression "a shanda fur die goy" means to do something embarrassing to Jews where non-Jews can observe it. To$hgate.

SHLEMIEL: A dummy; someone who is taken advantage of, a born loser. Furdies.

SHLIMAZL: A chronically unlucky person, a born loser, when a shlimazl sells umbrella the sun comes out. Cal Football fans.

SHMENDRICK: A weak and thin pipsqueak. The opposite of mensch, a physically small shlemiel. Zach Maynard.

SHMOOZ: To hang out with, a friendly gossipy talk. We do this on BI all day long.

UNGABLUZUM: To look as if one is going to cry. Furdies faces after "The Play".

Lastly...

ZIE GA ZINK: Wishing someone good health. Zie Ga Zink to all my fellow Bears and non Bears alike. Happy Holidays!