Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: OT: Jewish Delis: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pastrami

Jewish guy answer, with wife consulation(Philly version): Reuben is not "Jewish food."
    As a rule, us Jewish gluttons put Mayo into Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad, etc.,end of story. Not like there is a "right or wrong" about this (and this certainly has nothing to do wit Kosher rules), but "Jewish deli" sandwiches are about the meat and spicy mustard.
    Note: all answers on this thread lack credibility unless you have had a Tongue Sandwich at some point or another...

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Sadly, I do not care for tongue. It's a texture thing and also probably because I almost bit through my own when I was young and it reminds me of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    Jewish guy answer, with wife consulation(Philly version): Reuben is not "Jewish food."
    As a rule, us Jewish gluttons put Mayo into Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad, etc.,end of story. Not like there is a "right or wrong" about this (and this certainly has nothing to do wit Kosher rules), but "Jewish deli" sandwiches are about the meat and spicy mustard.
    Note: all answers on this thread lack credibility unless you have had a Tongue Sandwich at some point or another...
    About 20 years ago I was in New York with several co-workers for a conference. I insisted that one dinner MUST be at Carnegie Deli. Being the only MOT in the group and the only one with east coast ties, they didn't understand my excitement but agreed to go. Once inside, they were snapping pictures and "ooh-ing and aaah-ing" over the enormous sandwiches and plates of food passing by. While they ordered nice sandwiches and what-not, I ordered the tongue dinner. I have to say that I was quite proud of my goyim companions when they all sampled my dinner and none of them ran running.

Unfortunately I haven't had a good tongue sandwich in years, maybe my next trip to a good deli I'll take care of that problem.

Going to have to add Rascal's in Hollywood, Florida to the list. It is a lot better than Carnegie's in NYC, absolutely jam-packed.

You forgot "gey cocken fom yum", (surely mis-spelled), which is what stanfurd should do.

Friend of mine, was working a studio session in LA with Zappa. During a break they were taking a walk and my friend asked Zappa if the peanut butter story was true, Zappa told him it was.

Next time you go to a deli, order the Pee Wee Herman

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wolfes in Miami,

Alright, you Jewish Deli Dilettantes, we need more recommendations for the Bay Area....

So Far, only so-so Moshe's Pippic & Ted's Market in The City...and Wood Tavern, in Berkeley.

How about these two deli's in San Francisco:

Wise Sons Jewish Deli?

Deli Board?
    Last edited by manus; 12-24-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Wolfies

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBear View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wolfes in Miami,
    I used to love Wolfies back in the day. My parents moved us down to Florida in 1968, and Wolfies was an instant hit with me. Both the giant sandwiches with the dish of pickles on table, and also the giant dishes of ice cream. I went to both the original location on 172nd, and also to the one in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunrise. Sadly, both have closed, and are but a fond memory like so many other South Florida institutions.

I took the family down to Florida this summer, and wish that I'd known about the place in Hollywood, (wasn't around when I lived there) because we would have definitely tried it.

On a positive note we did have lunch at Le Tub, which has been one of my favorite South Florida dives since it opened in the early 70's. They're famous (Oprah hyped them) for their 13 ounce hamburgers. Still the same lousy service, good food, and cool eclectic tiki atmosphere on the Intercoastal Waterway in Hollywood.

Real Bear
    This is definitely the best thread in the history of bearinsider. Can we start one on ban mi next?

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duke! View Post
    This is definitely the best thread in the history of bearinsider. Can we start one on ban mi next?
    Kudos to Unit2Sucks. Great thread!

Oh my, I love Bahn Mi! We could do a combo Bahn Mi/Pho thread? Vietnamese food is some of the best on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Junkie View Post
    Going to have to add Rascal's in Hollywood, Florida to the list. It is a lot better than Carnegie's in NYC, absolutely jam-packed.
    I think that you're talking about Rascal House aka Rascals (associated with Wofies) and was in Sunny Isles, which is a little south of Hollywood near Miami. I ate there too. Unfortunately they closed in 2008.

This thread got me looking at some internet stories about these South Florida institutions and many of them are gone. It seems that the combinations of Andrew, Disney (tourists go to Orlando instead), and a weak economy have done them in.

Another good one to go was Pumperniks in Hallendale, also gone. All of these places, Wolfies, Rascal House, and Pumperniks were started by the same guy, Wofie Cohen.

Count me among the goyim that loved, and miss places like these.

Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    See my response back on the 2nd page of the thread. I agree, if a deli doesn't have good tongue it's not a jewish deli.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsusSanJoseus View Post
    Another good one to go was Pumperniks in Hallendale, also gone. All of these places, Wolfies, Rascal House, and Pumperniks were started by the same guy, Wofie Cohen.
    Ha, Pumperniks, I'm assuming named after the german bread pumpernickel. Another thing missing here in the Bay Area are good pumpernickel bagels, I don't think goyim like them all that much. Funny story, pumpernickel is a German word that basically translates into "devil's fart".

-kap
    Last edited by kaplanfx; 12-25-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    "Sometimes, they (student-athletes) think this is all about them. It's not theirs, it's not mine, it's the Cal fans." - Sonny Dykes

Oh my, how could that happen, in Miami. I used to love the sturgeion, on a bagel with tomato, onion and cream cheese. Umnn um. Oh well.