Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Jewish Delis: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pastrami

Langers

The best pastrami in America. That's per Nora Ephron who was no fan of anything LA-related. Tough to get good latkes in any of the LA delis. My second favorite beef sandwich is the smoked meat at Schwarz's in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Oski View Post
    I say extra points to anyone who can work my favorite Yiddish word -- shiksa -- into the thread. A friend in grad school once explained to me that the real definition of the word is "that goy bitch who's going to marry my son." And that friend did marry a Jewish man, and now has one of the greatest married names ever -- Noelle Berg.

Do I have to connect this meaningless story to the topic at hand? Let's see....oh, I know...I used to go to Zingerman's with them quite frequently. In fact, they were probably the people who introduced me to that deli.
    I don't know tradition, but I like the pastrami sandwich at Wood Tavern on College near Claremont

Quote Originally Posted by 86Oski View Post
    I say extra points to anyone who can work my favorite Yiddish word -- shiksa -- into the thread. A friend in grad school once explained to me that the real definition of the word is "that goy bitch who's going to marry my son." And that friend did marry a Jewish man, and now has one of the greatest married names ever -- Noelle Berg.
    Noelle Berg, I love it. Growing up my family was in this thing called a "Chavurah" which is a group of Jewish families that get together and socialize. One of the familes had a hyphenated last name - Silverman-Goldstein. Most american Jewish name ever, two precious metals a man and a stein all in one!

Also little know fact but there is a lesser used male equivalent to shiksa which is shegetz. If you are referring to mixed company then they are goyim.

If you want to eat like a real jew (when in rome) at the deli, order beef tongue. Growing up in NCAL I wasn't exposed much to jewish deli, but I did take a liking to lengua at Mexican restaurants. Turns out a taste for tongue is bred into my people.

-kap
    "Sometimes, they (student-athletes) think this is all about them. It's not theirs, it's not mine, it's the Cal fans." - Sonny Dykes

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Yes, my mom had the cabbage soup and unknowingly thought it would be this Russian cabbage soup that she liked, and winced because of how sweet Brent's cabbage soup was. It wasn't bad, just that she did not expect it haha.
    Is the Russian soup she likes "solyanka"?

-kap
    "Sometimes, they (student-athletes) think this is all about them. It's not theirs, it's not mine, it's the Cal fans." - Sonny Dykes

The hat

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    I don't know bubkes about Belgian Beer but pastrami? Oy vey, let me tell you about pastrami....

Unit, you are hilarious! Love the thread title. Here are some translations (with a Cal slant) of Yiddish phrases for you non Jews.

A BI GEZUNT: Stanfurd is a very good football team and they are going to the Rose Bowl but at least you have your health.

ALTER COCKER: An old and complaining person, an old fart. An Old Blue.

BALABUSTA: The wife of an important person or a bossy woman. Kate Dykes and Sandy Barbour.

BOBBEMYSEH: Old wive's tales, nonsense. Most of the posts on BI.

BOYCHICK: An affectionate term for a young Golden Bear.

CHUTZPAH: Nerve; gall, as in a Furdie who posts on this board because they don't have one of their own.

DRECK: ****. Can refer to the ugliness of objects or people. In other words, To$h.

FERBLUNJIT: Lost, mixed up. Tedford's QB's these last 6 years.

FERCOCKT: All f*cked up. The 2012 football season

FERSHLUGINA: Beaten up, messed up, no good. Our offensive line last season.

FERSHTINKINER: A stinker, a louse. To$h.

GAVALT: A cry of fear or a cry for help. Oy Gevalt is often used as expression meaning "oh how terrible." The collective cry of all Bears after we lost the home opener of the rennovated Memorial Stadium to Nevada.

GELT: Money. What To$h screwed us for.

GONIF: A thief, a tricky clever person, a shady character. To$h. Who knew that there were so many words in Yiddish for him?

GOY: A derogatory term meaning gentile, goyim is the plural, and goyisher is the adjective. Most of the people not named Haas or Goldman

KIBITZ: To offer comments which are often unwanted during a game. A kibitzer gives unasked for advice. Ted Robinson announcing a Cal Game.

KLUTZ: An awkward, uncoordinated person. Bak Bak.

KVETCH: To annoy or to be an annoying person, to complain. Definitely most BI posters.

MACH SHNEL: Hurry up. Our new offense.

MACHER: An ambitious person; a schemer with many plans. To$h again.

MAZEL TOV: Good luck, usually said as a statement of support or congratulations. What I'll say to Sonny when I see him.

MEESKAIT: A little ugly one; a person or thing. To$h.

MEGILLAH: Long, complicated and boring. JT's offense.

MENSCH: A person of character. An individual of recognized worth because of noble values or actions. Sonny D thus far.

MESHUGGE or MESHUGGINA: Crazy, refers to a more chronic disturbance. Steve Sarkisian is mashuggina for hiring that meeskait To$h.

MISHEGOSS: Inappropriate, crazy, or bizarre actions or beliefs. Ducks fans are definitely mishegoss.

MOMZER: A bastard, an untrustworthy person. Yiddish really is the perfect language to explain To$h.

NAFKA: A whore. Guess who?

NUDNIK: A pest, a persistent and annoying person. the Rise.

SHANDA: A shame, a scandal. The expression "a shanda fur die goy" means to do something embarrassing to Jews where non-Jews can observe it. To$hgate.

SHLEMIEL: A dummy; someone who is taken advantage of, a born loser. Furdies.

SHLIMAZL: A chronically unlucky person, a born loser, when a shlimazl sells umbrella the sun comes out. Cal Football fans.

SHMENDRICK: A weak and thin pipsqueak. The opposite of mensch, a physically small shlemiel. Zach Maynard.

SHMOOZ: To hang out with, a friendly gossipy talk. We do this on BI all day long.

UNGABLUZUM: To look as if one is going to cry. Furdies faces after "The Play".

Lastly...

ZIE GA ZINK: Wishing someone good health. Zie Ga Zink to all my fellow Bears and non Bears alike. Happy Holidays!
    Just love it NYCGB. I really miss hearing Yiddish spoken in the house. Haven't had since I moved from my parents. NY bagels and pizza are so muchy better than Cali because of the water.

I don't know bubkes about Belgian Beer but pastrami? Oy vey, let me tell you about pastrami....

Unit, you are hilarious! Love the thread title. Here are some translations (with a Cal slant) of Yiddish phrases for you non Jews.
    Thank you for doing me a mitzvah, but that's a lot of secrets to give out to gentiles! How are we going to talk behind their backs?

One more for the yiddish list - "hock me a chinek" (Hakn a tshaynik)

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    My favorite is "Zol zein mit glick" which translates roughly to "to you, good luck!"

-kap

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonBear View Post
    Just love it NYCGB. I really miss hearing Yiddish spoken in the house. Haven't had since I moved from my parents. NY bagels and pizza are so muchy better than Cali because of the water.
    Interestingly, I grew up speaking Korean. My mother is Korean, my father German Jewish. When I'd come to NYC as a child I'd hear my bubbe and others speak Yiddish and it was a strange language to me. Now I realize what an incredible expressive language it is.

Yes, the secret to the pizza and the bagels is the water. Wink wink. You know...

Brent's is the Alabama Rolling Tide of LA delis. Canter's is akin to our won/loss record last season. Canter's sucks!

As long as we're on the subject of Jewish related matters, how about our new DL coach, Barry Sacks. Could he be...?

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    Thank you for doing me a mitzvah, but that's a lot of secrets to give out to gentiles! How are we going to talk behind their backs?

You're welcome! Don't worry, the Gentiles won't remember and plus they mostly know all the bad words already. Lol. Being a Bear is a lot like being a Jew. Someday we Bears will will end our suffering too.

Love your addition.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bear6 View Post
    Brent's is the Alabama Rolling Tide of LA delis. Canter's is akin to our won/loss record last season. Canter's sucks!

As long as we're on the subject of Jewish related matters, how about our new DL coach, Barry Sacks. Could he be...?
    I totally forgot about Brent's. Yes, it's really really good. It was always too far from me though. Canters really isn't good. Better for those that are nostalgic.

I was wondering if Sacks was MOT?

Interestingly, I grew up speaking Korean. My mother is Korean, my father German Jewish. When I'd come to NYC as a child I'd hear my bubbe and others speak Yiddish and it was a strange language to me. Now I realize what an incredible expressive language it is.

Yes, the secret to the pizza and the bagels is the water. Wink wink. You know...
    My parents would speak Yiddish when I was younger so I wouldn't know what they were saying. As I got older, between listening to them and taking German in HS I got to the point where I would tell the other parent what they were saying. Ruined their ability to hide things from me. Yes the water!!!!!!!!!!

LA is pretty bereft of good delis. Canter's, Langer's and Junior's is OK, but not NY good. The OC is terrible. Katella deli is a faint facsimile of a Jewish deli.

Loyal Bear
    I've already posted my Top 5 Jewish Deli rankings in another thread, but I am reposting here:

1. Zingerman's Deli - Ann Arbor, MI
    2. Katz's Deli - New York, NY
    3. 2nd Avenue Deli - New York, NY
    4. Schwartz's Deli - Montreal, Quebec
    5 (tie). Canter's Deli - Los Angeles, CA
    5 (tie). Carnegie Deli - New York, NY

Jewish delis house 80% of the world's strategic cholesterol reserve. Long live schmaltz!

On a related note, I thought I'd share this funny story told to me by Bob Saget. Bob says that whenever someone would ask his friend Jon Lovitz if he was a Jew, Jon would reply (Saget doing an impression of Lovitz's voice) "Weeeell, I'm Jew.......ish". Hysterical.