Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Jewish Delis: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pastrami

Not sure if it's 100% Kosher, but Saul's in Berkeley makes a pretty good pastrami sandwich. I've never been to the east coast though so I'm probably comparing apples to oranges.

It was the only place open Christmas night a few years ago. The chicken in the pot with Matzah balls is another delicious entree there. Now I'm hungry.

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by glb78 View Post
    Not sure if it's 100% Kosher, but Saul's in Berkeley makes a pretty good pastrami sandwich. I've never been to the east coast though so I'm probably comparing apples to oranges.

It was the only place open Christmas night a few years ago. The chicken in the pot with Matzah balls is another delicious entree there. Now I'm hungry.
    I've never like Saul's. The quality just isn't that good. Too gourmet ghetto for the deli genre.
    Last edited by The Duke!; 12-20-2012 at 03:25 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duke! View Post
    I've never like Saul's. The quality just isn't that good. Too gourmet ghetto for the deli genre.
    +1 There really aren't any better choices in Berkeley though.

Anyone know if Moishe's Pippic is still open in SF? That place was ok.

Well with a Belgian Roman Catholic father and a Jewish mother from upstate New york. Those are some good belgian beers but far from the best that Belgium has to offer. You really need to go to Belgium and explore a bit as there are so many great beers that don't make it stateside.

Didn't see schmuck on the yiddish terms list although this might be a PG thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RaphaelAglietti View Post
    Well with a Belgian Roman Catholic father and a Jewish mother from upstate New york. Those are some good belgian beers but far from the best that Belgium has to offer. You really need to go to Belgium and explore a bit as there are so many great beers that don't make it stateside.

Didn't see schmuck on the yiddish terms list although this might be a PG thread.
    I skipped schmuck. I figured that everyone knew that one.

You are right about Belgian beers. I was in Brussels last year. I literally didn't have one bad one. Some I liked more than other but they are uniformly excellent. I really liked Dutch beer too.

no bear

I'm living in Switzerland this year and trying to decide between a Belgium beer tour or a Scottish whisky tour sometime this Spring. Any suggestions? I visited the De Halve Maan brewery in Bruges this summer and had a great time. Their Brugse Zot was very good, but I especially liked their Tripel and Quadruple. Can you recommend other places to visit?

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke! View Post
    I'm living in Switzerland this year and trying to decide between a Belgium beer tour or a Scottish whisky tour sometime this Spring. Any suggestions? I visited the De Halve Maan brewery in Bruges this summer and had a great time. Their Brugse Zot was very good, but I especially liked their Tripel and Quadruple. Can you recommend other places to visit?
    Belgian beer is really incredible but Scotch Whisky? That is art of the highest order. Just my opinion.

I realize that Belgian beers are beyond the scope of this thread, but what about La Trappe in north beach? Their beer menu is a tome, or in the parlance of my people a bit zaftig, and the decor is ongepotchket, but from the few dozen I've tried it seems to me that they have a lot of great Belgian beers.

NYCGO - Moishe's is still doing its thing in Hayes Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    I realize that Belgian beers are beyond the scope of this thread, but what about La Trappe in north beach? Their beer menu is a tome, or in the parlance of my people a bit zaftig, and the decor is ongepotchket, but they have what appear to me to be a lot of great Belgian beers.

NYCGO - Moishe's is still doing its thing in Hayes Valley.
    Thanks Unit. How is it these days? Have you been recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    In this thread we discuss Jewish delis. Please feel free to post reviews, ratings, pictures, hurl criticisms at fellow posters and non-believers in the way of the deli, and anything else you can think of.

Bonus points if you discuss preferences in latkes (puffy or flat?), knishes (plain, with kasha or otherwise?), kugel (parve, or *he says aghast* with dairy?).

Use of yiddish or other old-world languages will be appreciated, as will any reference to the "way things were in the old country" or any criticism of bagels originating more than one mile from the original Kossar's Bialy in the lower east side.

Note, I feel guilty for bringing a non-football topic to this board but will deal with it come yom kippur in 2013.
    Katz's remains my favorite for pastrami. None of that mile high silliness. Added benefit is Russ and Daughters on the same block. On a related note, Stage Deli closed and, IMO, will not be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyball2003 View Post
    Katz's remains my favorite for pastrami. None of that mile high silliness. Added benefit is Russ and Daughters on the same block. On a related note, Stage Deli closed and, IMO, will not be missed.
    I didn't care for Stage Deli. Mostly tourists flocked there. I did like their cheesecake though.

Edit - Speaking of cheesecake, Eileen's here in NYC has unfreakingbelievable cheesecake. Eileen is Italian I believe but no matter. It's flat out delish. They take online orders and ship FYI.
    Last edited by NYCGOBEARS; 12-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Thanks Unit. How is it these days? Have you been recently?
    Never been - I love the name and it's on my list now that I moved a bit closer. I used to live walking distance from Miller's so that's the only joint I have gone to in SF in the last few years. There's a place called Wise Sons in the mission that I've been meaning to go to but haven't had a chance yet.

Anyone a fan of Brother's in burlingame? I grew up going there but it changed owners (the previous owners were more like NYCGO's father, the new owners are more like NYCGO's mother) and isn't quite the same.

I'm not a big whiskey guy so I can't make that decision for you. Let me check with my father and I'll see what he has to say as he knows the breweries really well. As for me my favorite beers of the six (Achel, Westmalle, Westvleteren, Orval, Chimay, Rochefort) come from Rochefort, but then again you really can't go wrong with any of them.

(As an aside my parents met in Neuschatel, Switzerland while in graduate school)
    Last edited by RaphaelAglietti; 12-20-2012 at 03:48 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Langers has the best pastrami in LA followed by Brents. The Oinkster is quite good as well. Canters is down the list.

Quote Originally Posted by glb78 View Post

Many, if not most, of the delis are kosher-style, not kosher. But if there was a decent kosher-style deli in or near Berkeley, Saul's would fold in a heartbeat. The food is not at all good and the service stinks. But as NYCGOBEARS correctly stated, there's nowhere else.