Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 164

Thread: OT: Jewish Delis: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pastrami

  1. #46

    Moishe's Pippic

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    +1 There really aren't any better choices in Berkeley though.

    Anyone know if Moishe's Pippic is still open in SF? That place was ok.
    Yes, Joe is still at it. His son served us last visit. We stop before symphony. Simple, no bells, whistles. Like the matzo ball soup--but I have no comparison.

  2. #47
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    Anyone a fan of Brother's in burlingame? I grew up going there but it changed owners (the previous owners were more like NYCGO's father, the new owners are more like NYCGO's mother) and isn't quite the same.
    That's funny as hell. Unless they started making Kalbi and Kimchee Ruebens, (if someone gets rich off that idea remember that you heard it here first) I wouldn't go either.

  3. #48
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    Yes, Joe is still at it. His son served us last visit. We stop before symphony. Simple, no bells, whistles. Like the matzo ball soup--but I have no comparison.
    Thanks Mama. They're nice people. Glad to hear.

  4. #49
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleyblue View Post
    Many, if not most, of the delis are kosher-style, not kosher. But if there was a decent kosher-style deli in or near Berkeley, Saul's would fold in a heartbeat. The food is not at all good and the service stinks. But as NYCGOBEARS correctly stated, there's nowhere else.
    I mostly remember Saul's fondly because of a beautiful gal who worked there that I had a wild night with many moons ago.

  5. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    That's funny as hell. Unless they started making Kalbi and Kimchee Ruebens, (if someone gets rich off that idea remember that you heard it here first) I wouldn't go either.
    too late!


  6. #51
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    too late!

    Lol. That's not Kalbi though! It's corned beef. I think.

  7. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Lol. That's not Kalbi though! It's corned beef. I think.
    Ahh, didn't realize you meant a K+K reuben. That would be great - maybe you can get Steve's BBQ in the gourmet ghetto to add that to the menu this fall.

  8. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    +1 There really aren't any better choices in Berkeley though.

    Anyone know if Moishe's Pippic is still open in SF? That place was ok.
    I went there about 6 months ago... pastrami sando was good as was the potato salad.

    I like the steamed pastrami sandwich at Ted's Market on Howard:

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/teds-market-...-san-francisco

    It's not the Jewish deli style, but it's the closest thing to Busy Bee in San Pedro, which is a childhood favorite of mine.

    Deli Board also has decent sandwiches... although there's something about the tasted that's just lacking something sometimes, and everything's $3 more now that they moved to a place w/ tables.

  9. #54
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    Ahh, didn't realize you meant a K+K reuben. That would be great - maybe you can get Steve's BBQ in the gourmet ghetto to add that to the menu this fall.
    You're closer. Get us a percentage. We'll split it. There are Korean taco trucks everywhere why not Korean Jewish deli's? Koreans are more like Jews culturally than just about anyone else. We could get rich.

  10. #55
    Canter's on North Fairfax or Langer's on South Alvarado for Jewish Delis and Bay Cities in Santa Monica or Mickey's in Hermosa Beach for just Delis

  11. #56
    Loyal Bear
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by RaphaelAglietti View Post
    I'm not a big whiskey guy so I can't make that decision for you. Let me check with my father and I'll see what he has to say as he knows the breweries really well. As for me my favorite beers of the six (Achel, Westmalle, Westvleteren, Orval, Chimay, Rochefort) come from Rochefort, but then again you really can't go wrong with any of them.

    (As an aside my parents met in Neuschatel, Switzerland while in graduate school)
    Thanks. Let me know.

    I played disc golf in Neuchatel a few weeks ago. Great city. Crap beer.

  12. #57
    Loyal Bear
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by GranadaHillsBear View Post
    Langers has the best pastrami in LA followed by Brents. The Oinkster is quite good as well. Canters is down the list.
    I admittedly don't know LA that well. But I am very suspicious of any supposedly Jewish deli that calls itself "The Oinkster."

  13. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    You're closer. Get us a percentage. We'll split it. There are Korean taco trucks everywhere why not Korean Jewish deli's? Koreans are more like Jews culturally than just about anyone else. We could get rich.
    My dear mother has spent some time in Korea and says that they call themselves the jews of asia.

    I completely agree on the Korean remix idea. I would murder a kimchee knish and die for bibim bap gefilte fish on top. Maybe matzo ball on top?

  14. #59
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,845
    Lol. I like you. Next time you're in NYC, let me buy a round?

  15. #60
    By the way, for the OP, I loved the thread title's reference to "Dr. Strangelove"--one of my all time favorite movies.

    It brings back some great memories from my Cal days, believe it or not. I'd throw out a quote, but I don't want to hijack a fun thread.
    Last edited by Valleyblue; 12-20-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted before I was finished.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •