Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jabari Parker

Jabari Parker

Committed to Duke, but MM should have gone after him hard.

Parker also acknowledged that he has seriously considered staying in college for more than one year.

"I may play in college for two or three years," he said. "It doesn't matter to me. I just want the college experience. The most important thing is getting the degree, and I want to go to school."

Loyal Bear
    Not kentucky, so the rise may be seeing Gordon going to Kentucky, not Arizona!

Why in the world would you think he would ever come here? He's a Chicago guy, a mormon and only sought after by every single top program. He would have no connection to come here so there is no reason to waste time and effort on the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by stanfurdbites View Post
    Why in the world would you think he would ever come here? He's a Chicago guy, a mormon and only sought after by every single top program. He would have no connection to come here so there is no reason to waste time and effort on the kid.
    Given your handle, I figured it was obvious; he would come to Cal for the same reasons Furd made his final list. Unless Furd has an inside connection I'm not aware of. Plus, we have a potential college HOF coach with NBA experience. Cal has made inroad recruiting players from Chicago in the past.

It's moot at this point b/c he committed to Duke. I only posted here b/c it been reported that MM doesn't recruit elite blue chip players b/c he perceived them as 1-n-done; Parker is not the case and MM should have got after him hard considering we need his skill.

Real Bear

Nothing changes.....

Kids seemingly always want to go to top WINNING schools. It is the rare young person who will go to a school to help build its program.

True Blue Golden Bear BearyWhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCalBears View Post
    Given your handle, I figured it was obvious; he would come to Cal for the same reasons Furd made his final list. Unless Furd has an inside connection I'm not aware of. Plus, we have a potential college HOF coach with NBA experience. Cal has made inroad recruiting players from Chicago in the past.

It's moot at this point b/c he committed to Duke. I only posted here b/c it been reported that MM doesn't recruit elite blue chip players b/c he perceived them as 1-n-done; Parker is not the case and MM should have got after him hard considering we need his skill.
    I think that was a Ben Braun thing, wasn't it? Alex Rossi went to New Trier but he's gone, so there's that.

Rossi

Looks like Rossi is only getting a couple token minutes in blow outs at Valp. I guess he'll have to wait till his junior/senior years to get significant PT.

Quote Originally Posted by BearyWhite View Post
    I think that was a Ben Braun thing, wasn't it? Alex Rossi went to New Trier but he's gone, so there's that.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Jerome and Lamp

...and Gates and Kilgore(?) from Northwestern U. All Braun connections.
    Last edited by Civil Bear; 12-21-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    Looks like Rossi is only getting a couple token minutes in blow outs at Valp. I guess he'll have to wait till his junior/senior years to get significant PT.
    If Rossi is in game shape and only gets a couple of minutes in blowouts, this is a sobering assessment of his ability. After all, Valpo is not exactly Kentucky or Indiana.

Loyal Bear
    I read it here first. If we still had Braun, we'd have gotten both Jabaris. And Brown, too. Jabari U.

Loyal Bear
    By the way, is Kareem Abdul-Jabar the inspiration for all these little Jabaris? Surely I show my ignorance. Where did Lew Alcindor find inspiration in the name?

True Blue Golden Bear BearyWhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    By the way, is Kareem Abdul-Jabar the inspiration for all these little Jabaris? Surely I show my ignorance. Where did Lew Alcindor find inspiration in the name?
    it's a muslim thing.

UCLA running back sharmon shah got a similar name from his imam when he converted, karim abdul-jabbar. (he said he told the imam 'really? you realize I play for UCLA, right?') a few years later the NBA kareem sued karim, who later changed his name to Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar.

Braun had a knack for bring in blue chips, is there anyway MM can bring him in to Asst head coach and main recruiter for us? While here, Braun can learn from MM how to better coach and maybe take over (again) when MM retired.
    Last edited by GoCalBears; 12-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.

I don't post on the hoop board very often, compared to the football boad. Didn't realize until reading here that Cal for sure didn't make contact with Parker. Didn't realize that was the insider scoop-thanks.