Thread: ESPN on UCLA

ESPN on UCLA

"UCLA is currently leaning toward replacing Ben Howland as its head basketball coach, and he could be let go before the end of the season, according to sources," Pierson said. "There is also an indication that UCLA has taken preliminary steps in investigating potential coaching candidates.
The tipping point came a few weeks ago, after UCLA had lost three of five games at the end of November and beginning of December.

"Sources are indicating that booster and donation support of Howland has diminished considerably so far this season, and that has been critical in this development."

Elsewhere, ESPN also lists UCLA as 4th in the Pac12
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Next huge game for Ben and his charges is the 28th when they go up against Mizzu. If they get blown out at home the knives will come out.

This is silly

Why raise this now? UCLA has a young team. Sit back and see where they are in March/April and then make your evaluation. This type of reporting only hurts UCLA. It distracts the team, hurts recruiting while doing nothing of value.

@The_Rise_
    This is very old news.

We were talking about this days ago. CAL-ESPN.
    For some reason, I can not find the post.
    "DeCommit" looming for Zach LaVine.

@The_Rise
    I told you in that post....DeCommit of Zach LaVine.

Curse of the UC athletic renovation projects. First Teddy and CMS and now Howie and Pauley.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Why raise this now? UCLA has a young team. Sit back and see where they are in March/April and then make your evaluation. This type of reporting only hurts UCLA. It distracts the team, hurts recruiting while doing nothing of value.
    If Howland pulls off a miracle, like Lavin seemed to do with those Sweet 16's, UCLA would find it very tough to fire him.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    If Howland pulls off a miracle, like Lavin seemed to do with those Sweet 16's, UCLA would find it very tough to fire him.
    It's funny that our last Sweet 16 team, with Ben Braun in 1997, Lavin had UCLA in the Elite 8 that year. Pac-10 was brutal and Arizona won it all.

Ucla

well TheRise raises issues like this daily, and who knows where his source is.

I just read from ESPN and since it was relevant to the P12 I thought I'd post it (including that the Bruins are still thought of highly in terms of their "Power Ranking")

I don't have much of an opinion on it. I've always respected Howland and felt is was a good coach. However my opinion has also been that he is not a good fit for UCLA.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your view, if UCLA fires Howland I'm afraid they will hire a coach that IS a good fit for UCLA, and they will return to be one of the two monsters in the conference.

Just one example...could you imagine Few at UCLA? (although that is probably unlikely)

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Nobody cares about your

insinuendos or insinuentendres , Rise.

Last edited by brj1; 12-21-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brj1 View Post
    insinuendos or insinuentendres , Rise.

Hey, come on, dammit!
    That's just not fair!

New Jersey has 10 times the relevance to New York than Arizona has to California!

Favorite bumper sticker seen during the 1990s in San Diego

Arizonans. Thanks for coming. Spend money and leave your daughters behind.