Thread: observation about BYU last nite

observation about BYU last nite

I read here that several of us were excited about the prospect of the S Utah DC coming to Cal 'because they held BYU to only 3 pts'.

After seeing them play last nite, I think that wouldn't be that big an effort. BYU's special teams in blocking punts and landing SDS inside the 5 repeatedly paid off. The Offense was terrible.

I'm much happier with Buh.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenblue_Cal View Post
    I read here that several of us were excited about the prospect of the S Utah DC coming to Cal 'because they held BYU to only 3 pts'.

After seeing them play last nite, I think that wouldn't be that big an effort. BYU's special teams in blocking punts and landing SDS inside the 5 repeatedly paid off. The Offense was terrible.

Utah State, not Southern Utah (S Utah).

The Aztec QB was horrible and BYU may be on steroids. That's the only two things that stuck out in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenblue_Cal View Post

I haven't been following BYU much this season, but what was up with their starting QB Nelson? I saw another guy was playing with Nelson on the sidelines

Nelson was replaced mid-season...........

As far as San Diego State goes, you need to score touches in the Red Zone - Not field goals. Reminds me of Cal............

True Blue Golden Bear BeachyBear's Avatar
    BYU has been awful all year on offense. The only reason they ended up with a winning record instead of a 3-9 season like us is because their defense was quite a bit better than ours and their schedule was much, much worse.

BYU's ego got a little too big going independent.

BYU's defense is legit. It may be their best ever. Also, they have great skill position players all over the field. The thing that has stymied BYU is the quarterback play. It was so bad that they started freshman Taysom Hill, the transfer from the Trees. He got hurt and its been Nelson ever since. HC Mendenhall has been really botched the qb position this year. Its been almost embarrassing. They had a chance to be really good

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Triangle View Post
    BYU's defense is legit. It may be their best ever. Also, they have great skill position players all over the field. The thing that has stymied BYU is the quarterback play. It was so bad that they started freshman Taysom Hill, the transfer from the Trees. He got hurt and its been Nelson ever since. HC Mendenhall has been really botched the qb position this year. Its been almost embarrassing. They had a chance to be really good
    Yes, the head coach can actually botch the QB position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Triangle View Post
    what happened to the hotshot QB from Washington that went to BYU a couple of years ago? Did he bomb and transfer out?

Quote Originally Posted by NVGolfingBear View Post
    what happened to the hotshot QB from Washington that went to BYU a couple of years ago? Did he bomb and transfer out?
    jake heaps is at kansas now i believe

Heaps had to sit out this year due to transfer.......

and will be in the mix with other retreads in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Our Domicile View Post
    Utah State, not Southern Utah (S Utah).

The Aztec QB was horrible and BYU may be on steroids. That's the only two things that stuck out in my mind.
    No, it's 25-26 year old post Mormon Mission players against 19-21 year olds for SDSU. That's one reason BYU will never get to join the PAC-12.

Quote Originally Posted by CalBearinLA View Post
    jake heaps is at kansas now i believe
    That's the name!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
    No, it's 25-26 year old post Mormon Mission players against 19-21 year olds for SDSU. That's one reason BYU will never get to join the PAC-12.

True.

and the other is that they won't play on Sundays

Quote Originally Posted by bar20 View Post

Not so bad for football, but how about all those really important sports, like women's volleyball and lacrosse?